No announcement yet.

Why Tyson's game winning shot wasn't a bad shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They were not (rightly so) gonna let Tyson get a better shot. They would have risked a foul call since the refs were letting them play. They absolutely would have blanketed him and forced him to either take a forced, off balanced shot....or passed it to someone else.

I am fine with that shot in that situation.
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

That assumes nothing changes if dribbles to the 3 point line. My guess is as he moves in the defense probably tightens and perhaps even puts on a double team. It would not be the same shot just 10 feet closer.
      I mean, this was the shot, completely contested. It doesn't make a shot any harder by driving to the basket.

etienne.jfif

AMAZING photo, btw.
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

It wasn't quite as contested as the photo makes it look as the ball is well on its way at that point.

But I look at this photo and wonder why the official is holding up two fingers... Have mechanics changed since I stopped officiating?
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I don’t understand how you concluded there was a 50% of winning the game if it went to overtime. Can you please explain your logic?
          Well typically, you either win or lose and seeing how we were playing from behind most of the game, im thinking 50% might be generous.

Now instead of answering a question with a question, can you answer mine? Do you think our chances of winning magically go up if we go to overtime?
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
            "A step back, tightly-contested 3 from 35 feet is a good shot when we had 10-15 seconds to initiate a play."

I love Tyson as much as the next guy, but listen to yourselves. That's a shot that Steph Curry would make only around 20% of the time, if that.
            Some fans keep the blinders on at all times. That’s fine. Fans are biased but they definitely lose reality points when doing so.
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

That assumes nothing changes if dribbles to the 3 point line. My guess is as he moves in the defense probably tightens and perhaps even puts on a double team. It would not be the same shot just 10 feet closer.
              The dude was in his throat when he took the shot. Im not sure the defense gets any better than that.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I mean, this was the shot, completely contested. It doesn't make a shot any harder by driving to the basket.

etienne.jfif

AMAZING photo, btw.
                Thanks Kel. That was my exhibit A.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

etienne.jfif

AMAZING photo, btw.
                  Its a great photo but pictures can also be deceiving. What looks like a contested shot in that picture could have been relatively open moments before when the shooter was collecting themselves and releasing.

Obviously shots go in at a lower percentage the further from the basket you are. It’s not rocket science and no one is disputing that.

The defense knows that and so good defenders are going to give a little cushion that far away from the basket to ensure their man doesn’t get around them on the drive. The flip side to that is the closer the ball handler gets to the three point line the tighter the on ball defense gets, the closer help defense is and the less room they have to operate.

I don’t think it’s likely he could have got as clean a look if he was closer to the basket because his defender would have felt comfortable guarding him closer, even if only inches. Obviously there’s no way to prove that one way or the other.

The situation matters very much. In that specific situation I am completely fine with the shot he took.
                  Last edited by pie n eye; November 10, 2021, 03:36 PM.

Comment

Well....it's on tape for every one of our opponents to see and game plan defending him the next time we need a go ahead score in the closing seconds. Next time we need a close out shot...I'd assume they'll double him waaaaaaaay out there. Opens up other ways to get a last second shot moving forward. Glad it happened in the first game.
                    FINAL FOURS:
                    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                    Number of Times Ranked: 157
                    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                    #3 - Dec. 2017
                    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                    #2 ~ March 2014
                    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Well typically, you either win or lose and seeing how we were playing from behind most of the game, im thinking 50% might be generous.

Now instead of answering a question with a question, can you answer mine? Do you think our chances of winning magically go up if we go to overtime?
                      As the home team in that situation I was confident we would win if we went to overtime.

So, on that last play I wanted to see us A) not give the ball back to the other team with a chance to win in regulation and B) get some kind of shot off while also accomplishing objective A.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        It wasn't quite as contested as the photo makes it look as the ball is well on its way at that point.

But I look at this photo and wonder why the official is holding up two fingers... Have mechanics changed since I stopped officiating?
                        Exactly. The ball was already out of his hands and on its way when the defender was this close. It would have been a different story if this was the coverage and he hadn't released the ball already.
                        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

I find it a little surreal that the board is ragging on our best player and one of the best players in the AAC because he took and made a very tough game winning shot.

The thing is there is absolutely no way to know how things would have turned out had he or HCIB chosen another option or changed the approach in even the slightest way. Might have been just as good or maybe not (50-50? who knows - based on our recent history in these situations probably less than 50-50)..

What we do know for a FACT is that Tyson made a fantastic shot that won the Shockers a tough ballgame. Not sure why we aren't celebrating that.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

As the home team in that situation I was confident we would win if we went to overtime.

So, on that last play I wanted to see us A) not give the ball back to the other team with a chance to win in regulation and B) get some kind of shot off while also accomplishing objective A.
                            Confident? Wow. Being the home team didn’t help us too much most of the game.
                            Deuces Valley.
                            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I find it a little surreal that the board is ragging on our best player and one of the best players in the AAC because he took and made a very tough game winning shot.

The thing is there is absolutely no way to know how things would have turned out had he or HCIB chosen another option or changed the approach in even the slightest way. Might have been just as good or maybe not (50-50? who knows - based on our recent history in these situations probably less than 50-50)..

What we do know for a FACT is that Tyson made a fantastic shot that won the Shockers a tough ballgame. Not sure why we aren't celebrating that.
                              Ragging? Nobody’s ragging. There is valid discussion going on though. Valid enough that questioning whether it was a bad shot or not was a front page headline on display by the beatwriter. I doubt anyone is mad that the shot went in but it does show concern if we’re ever in those situations again, that if that’s the play that’s going to be run, we’re gonna lose or go to overtime 95% of the time.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Im guessing some of you have quietly forgotten our second to last game against Drake and how that game went down.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X