Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Tyson's game winning shot wasn't a bad shot

https://www.kansas.com/sports/colleg...255697171.html

Tyson Etienne’s game-winner for Shockers looked like a bad shot. Here’s why it wasn’t

Joey Burton has been working as an NBA skills development coach for years now and he hasn’t come across a college player like Etienne. The two linked up in Indianapolis this summer when Etienne was going through the pre-draft process for NBA teams. It always stuck out to Burton that Etienne wouldn’t want to end a workout on a dunk or free throws, but rather 30-foot bombs. It was the same process every time: from the left side, from the center and from the right side. So when Etienne decided to pull from 32 feet, almost exactly where he takes the practice shots from, Burton couldn’t help but chuckle. “It was totally deja vu,” Burton said. “I immediately thought, ‘This is what he prepared for.’” While Burton noticed the rhythm dribbles, the detail he was the most proud of Etienne for was the arch he used to perfectly splash the ball through the net without grazing the rim. “A lot of players who shoot that deep will shoot the ball with a different motion or a different shooting mechanic,” Burton said. “There was none of that with Tyson. He shot the ball high and got the ball to the back of the rim. We worked this summer on Tyson shooting the ball up and getting the ball high and gravitating toward the rim. I always explain it like a quarterback throwing a hail mary. They don’t throw it at the receiver. They throw it high and let gravity take it to the receiver.” Burton has worked with NBA players. He knows better than most what constitutes a good shot from a bad one. Is a step-back, 32-footer a bad shot for a lot of players? Yes. But is it a bad shot for Etienne? Burton doesn’t believe so because of the repetition he has from that range. “You can debate all day if it was a good shot or a bad shot, but at the end of the day, one team went home with a loss and one team went home with a win because of that shot,” Burton said. “At the end of the day, that’s all that matters.”

It WAS a bad low % shot. If it was a 40% type of shot why isn't he shooting them
    all game long and stretching the defense?

Comment

Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
      It WAS a bad low % shot. If it was a 40% type of shot why isn't he shooting them
      For anyone on the roster except Tyson it was a bad shot. They hadn't been able to penetrate and create anything all game and they were in his face. The % of that shot is likely not much worse than if he was on the 3 line for TE.

Comment

It wasn’t a bad shot at all, in my opinion.

He is our best shooter and offensive player so he’s definitely the guy we want with the ball in his hands. We’ve seen him make those in games so we know he can do it.

The most important goal in that possession is to not give the ball back to the other team with a chance to win the game. Win or go to overtime, you want that to be the last possession of regulation.

Passing the ball around increases the likelihood of a turnover which would obviously be a bad outcome.

Setting a screen introduces the possibility of a double team which would either mean not getting a shot of at all or passing it to a player not named Tyson which, at this point, I’m not super comfortable with (maybe as the season develops).

Tyson showed in the final three possessions that he is in control and knows what he’s doing. He found Pleasant for a layup on the first, drove and hit a floater the second, and drilled the game winning three on the last.

I trust Tyson to know what’s best for him and the team in that situation.

Comment

It wasn't a bad shot at all...because it went in. if it'd missed and Wichita went on to lose, then the discussion could be had.

Comment

I'm not sure it was mentioned or not, but that shot might have also made Tyson some cash. Just the Sportscenter tweet has been seen 1.1 million times. That'll get you some run these days, and maybe a couple of NIL deals.

Comment

Because, at this point in the game, the opposing team wouldn't have the opportunity to have another possession. They also don't lose the game if he misses. Shockers either win or the games goes to OT.

Time and situation.
              The Assman

Comment

The ball going in or not should have zero impact on if a shot is a good one or not. Bad shots go in all the time. Good shots get missed all the time. Tyson has that range and has hit similar shots not at the end of games previously. Was it the best possible shot on the floor ever? No. Was it a bad shot given the player and circumstances of the moment? Absolutely not.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Defending my statement: How many of you can honestly say that is a 40% shot
                  which is what the TEAM shot last season? Factor in the probability that if he
                  attacks the basket he could easily get fouled or dish to a teammate with a much
                  better % shot. How many of you thought it was a bad shot until it went in?
                  I know I did. He is NOT going to make 40% of that type of shot. Even for him that
                  is more like a 30% shot at best. Either that or he is going to be another Curry which
                  I doubt. I'll have my stud attack the basket with as much time as I had.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                    It wasn’t a bad shot at all, in my opinion.

He is our best shooter and offensive player so he’s definitely the guy we want with the ball in his hands. We’ve seen him make those in games so we know he can do it.

The most important goal in that possession is to not give the ball back to the other team with a chance to win the game. Win or go to overtime, you want that to be the last possession of regulation.

Passing the ball around increases the likelihood of a turnover which would obviously be a bad outcome.

Setting a screen introduces the possibility of a double team which would either mean not getting a shot of at all or passing it to a player not named Tyson which, at this point, I’m not super comfortable with (maybe as the season develops).

Tyson showed in the final three possessions that he is in control and knows what he’s doing. He found Pleasant for a layup on the first, drove and hit a floater the second, and drilled the game winning three on the last.

I trust Tyson to know what’s best for him and the team in that situation.
                    In fact if you look at the replay, you see Craig Porter starting to come over and set a screen then decided otherwise and let Tyson have some room. Smart IQ for CP. And TE had the option of penetrating for a pull up closer 3 or midrange. But he did what Tyson always does. As DD said he has seen TE make that shot 100 times in practice. Yikes! Go Shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

In fact if you look at the replay, you see Craig Porter starting to come over and set a screen then decided otherwise and let Tyson have some room. Smart IQ for CP. And TE had the option of penetrating for a pull up closer 3 or midrange. But he did what Tyson always does. As DD said he has seen TE make that shot 100 times in practice. Yikes! Go Shocks.
                      We’ve seen him make a handfull of those in games. He actually had one rim out from a similar distance earlier in the night.

Comment

Defending my statement: How many of you can honestly say that is a 40% shot
                        which is what the TEAM shot last season? Factor in the probability that if he
                        attacks the basket he could easily get fouled or dish to a teammate with a much
                        better % shot. How many of you thought it was a bad shot until it went in?
                        I know I did. He is NOT going to make 40% of that type of shot. Even for him that
                        is more like a 30% shot at best. Either that or he is going to be another Curry which
                        I doubt. I'll have my stud attack the basket with as much time as I had.
                        Attacking the basket had not worked at all in that game. The percentages of attacking the basket and getting a bucket without turning it over or wasting a shot were less than TE taking that shot and making it. The game was tied so worst case scenario is he misses the shot and it goes to overtime and you take your chances with that.

It was a good shot for TE.

Comment

I can only imagine, not really, the discussion had it not gone in and we lost in OT

Comment

I can only imagine, not really, the discussion had it not gone in and we lost in OT
                            Luckily for you, you don't have to imagine that...because it didn't happen.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Luckily for you, you don't have to imagine that...because it didn't happen.
                              Imagine him taking it to the basket .. .losing the ball then us fouling someone trying to get the ball back and we lose on FTs at the other end.

Imagine him getting stripped on his initial move and they get a breakaway layup and we lose the game.

Imagine him starting the play, passing the ball, someone else gets antzy and shoots too early, they get the rebound and get a break away and we lose the game.

Imagine us driving, getting stuffed again, then losing after that.

I can go on all day.

Comment

Working...
                              X