Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liberty 66-45. Wow

Comment

• Perhaps I'm late to the table, but did anyone know Valpo changed their mascot?

I hadn't heard. I tuned in for their game against the Geese tonight and the PBP guy called them the Beacons. I didn't quite understand at first, but my mind said "Yeah, that's not it, what the eff is going on here".

So I looked it up and apparently last year students, faculty and alumni said Crusaders isn't inclusive enough.

You literally have to be ****ing me.

Comment

• Good to see that so far in the Which Shocker NonCon Opponent Will **** the Bed Worst This Season Award, we have a new leader in the Clubhouse in Mizzou. UNLV tried taking the lead but stumbled and lost to a tiny bit more important team in SMU. Reeeeeebbbbbbeeeeelllllsssssss.

Maybe we can get the Antlers back in time for conference play.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
          Good to see that so far in the Which Shocker NonCon Opponent Will **** the Bed Worst This Season Award, we have a new leader in the Clubhouse in Mizzou. UNLV tried taking the lead but stumbled and lost to a tiny bit more important team in SMU. Reeeeeebbbbbbeeeeelllllsssssss.

Maybe we can get the Antlers back in time for conference play.
          I know it was Thanksgiving and all -- but it was absolutely shocking to sit in that nice arena and see only three ... THREE! ... Antlers in the student section. Meanwhile there were plenty of students hanging in downtown Columbia on a Friday night. Pretty pathetic showing.
          “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Perhaps I'm late to the table, but did anyone know Valpo changed their mascot?

I hadn't heard. I tuned in for their game against the Geese tonight and the PBP guy called them the Beacons. I didn't quite understand at first, but my mind said "Yeah, that's not it, what the eff is going on here".

So I looked it up and apparently last year students, faculty and alumni said Crusaders isn't inclusive enough.

So when does Kapaun change their name?

Comment

That's some woke stupidity right there. Not surprising though.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

That's some woke stupidity right there. Not surprising though.
                Let's try it on for effect.

The "Fighting Beacons"

The "Fighting Lights"

Yes, It definitely works.
                Last edited by Shockm; December 3, 2021, 09:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Let's try it on for effect.

The "Fighting Beacons"

The "Fighting Lights"

Yes, It definitely works.
                  Suggesting that they are "fighting" does not FEEL inclusive to me, so I suggest instead, The "Emphatically Struggling Beacons" or possibly The "Determinedly Pursuing Beacons"

ahhh........I FEEL so much better now.

Comment

• Wasn't Friends once the Fighting Quakers?:)

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post
                      Wasn't Friends once the Fighting Quakers?:)
                      Had to change it because they were culturally appropriating a food that had been developed in the Middle East.
                      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

It really wasn't that it "wasn't inclusive enough." It was that white nationalist hate groups including the Klu Klux Klan overtly use crusader-related symbology and language and are, thanks to Trump, much more in the public consciousness than they were 10-15 years ago. Plus, for any university with an international student base, harkening back to The Crusades is not the best look.

“Valpo is and always has been a faith-based institution, and we want to make sure our symbolism is in alignment with our beliefs and speaks to the core values of the Lutheran ethos,” said Interim President Colette Irwin-Knott. “At Valpo, we strive to seek truth, serve generously and cultivate hope. We do not believe having the Crusader as our mascot portrays these values.”

That said, Beacons is a pretty blah name. The only upside is that it makes me think of Castle Anthrax.

“The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
                          It really wasn't that it "wasn't inclusive enough." It was that white nationalist hate groups including the Klu Klux Klan overtly use crusader-related symbology and language and are, thanks to Trump, much more in the public consciousness than they were 10-15 years ago. Plus, for any university with an international student base, harkening back to The Crusades is not the best look.
                          The mental gymnastics required to put any amount of fault or blame on Trump for this is actually impressive.
                          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

The mental gymnastics required to put any amount of fault or blame on Trump for this is actually impressive.
                            LOL!

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Please take this crap to the political forums.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Had to change it because they were culturally appropriating a food that had been developed in the Middle East.
                                Ahh, yes...the ole:

Friends
                                University of
                                Central
                                Kansas

You can't make it up...but I am proud to be an alumni.

Comment

Working...
                                X