2021-2022 Games of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
    I'm sure I'll have lots of disagreement here but I'd rather play SIU, Drake, and maybe MSU vs. FAU, Rice, and UTSA.

In NO way am I advocating for going back to the Valley, moreso if I could pick and choose which teams to play.
    I think the AAC is betting on the come with UTSA and FAU. Rice gets the nod just for being in the right city/state and having lots of money but they really need to step up the commitment to their athletics.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
      I'm sure I'll have lots of disagreement here but I'd rather play SIU, Drake, and maybe MSU vs. FAU, Rice, and UTSA.

In NO way am I advocating for going back to the Valley, moreso if I could pick and choose which teams to play.
      No doubt, the AAC will not nearly be the conference we joined. My reasons for being here have or are leaving. That said, Loyola is leaving the MVC for a reason, and a good one IMHO. If Memphis gets "lucky" and SMU jumps to the MWC without us, I'll really be p*ssed. Personally, as for teams and conferences I have followed for years, I'd much rather be in the A-10 or MWC regarding men's basketball. At least I'd have an interest in the teams we would be playing. However, we do have other sports and should weigh them into the equation as well, even if they are or may be a drain on resources.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

I think the AAC is betting on the come with UTSA and FAU. Rice gets the nod just for being in the right city/state and having lots of money but they really need to step up the commitment to their athletics.
        Being one of the premier educational providers in the country doesn't hurt either. Them being in Houston and making the financial commitment makes it easier to add, but there's not a school president that doesn't want to be associated with them.

FAU and UTSA are completely potential adds as far as basketball goes. I guess FAU has had a few flashes of decency and UTSA has made a commitment to turning some of their financial focus to basketball. And as I've said many times before, just look what they did to football in under a decade of starting a program. They built a Top 25 team.

I'd also rather have the exposure for the university to San Antonio and Houston over Carbondale and Des Moines. More student and athlete recruitment potential in those areas. I'm not sure Miami does a whole lot for us, but you know the football schools love it.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• FAU also currently has a NET ranking of 139 which doesn't exactly hurt. UTSA has work to do, but UAB and UNT have two of the top three NET rankings of what will be the conference in a couple f years. We're currently 5th on that list somehow.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            FAU also currently has a NET ranking of 139 which doesn't exactly hurt. UTSA has work to do, but UAB and UNT have two of the top three NET rankings of what will be the conference in a couple f years. We're currently 5th on that list somehow.
            Yea UAB and UNT would have the top 2 non-Loyola NETs in the MVC. So they are definitely good adds. The others are middle of the pack with the exception of UTSA. They are a football add .. which is ok. They also have a huge amount of potential (same with Rice) due to location if they spend appropriately.

Comment

• UNT is a solid add. They don't get the recognition and are an afterthought in Texas, but they are a Tier 1 research institution and are spending a lot of money on their campus right now. They need to do better to get the students engaged though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                UNT is a solid add. They don't get the recognition and are an afterthought in Texas, but they are a Tier 1 research institution and are spending a lot of money on their campus right now. They need to do better to get the students engaged though.
                If you're talking basketball, there are little to no college hoops fans untill 2 things happen.
                1- football season is over 2- team must have a big name high draft pick or be a top 10 team

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

If you're talking basketball, there are little to no college hoops fans untill 2 things happen.
                  1- football season is over 2- team must have a big name high draft pick or be a top 10 team
                  And even after those 2 things happen......there are STILL little to no college hoops fans. At least here in the Dallas area. Lol
                  "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Doesn't look like either Tulsa or the Thursday SMU game is on TV even ESPN+

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                      Doesn't look like either Tulsa or the Thursday SMU game is on TV even ESPN+
                      Both are on ESPNU.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post

And even after those 2 things happen......there are STILL little to no college hoops fans. At least here in the Dallas area. Lol
                        That's true. Most are football fans that may show up to watch a good team or player. Very little basketball knowledge. In Austin area

Comment

• Think that if WSU had stayed in the Valley, Loyola might not be leaving the Valley at this point? The MVC took it on the chin when Creighton left and then WSU left.
                          Another question...will WSU still be the only school without a football program in the new AAC?

Comment

• Watched a little of UNLV at Colorado State. UNLV was up at least 22 at one point. Bryce Williams went off for the Rebs scoring 45. CSU is very well coached. They take great shots. Nico Medved formally of Drake is doing a nice job there. Only the Rams 2nd loss. Packed crowd. Those were the days.

Comment

• 88-74 Rebs final. Last 10 minutes took forever.

CSU is a tough tough group.

Comment

• Originally posted by Atxshoxfan View Post

That's true. Most are football fans that may show up to watch a good team or player. Very little basketball knowledge. In Austin area
                                That’s true of most schools in Texas. You gotta put together a consistent winner and the fans will follow. UH was in the same boat until Sampson turned things around.

Comment

Working...
                                X