2021-2022 Games of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

I thought the same thing. I just know it's nice to see a coach enjoy the thrill of a hard fought victory over an instate rival. Especially since they just played them a couple weeks ago and lost on their home court!
    Get this - coaching at the D1 (or any level really) is a tough, mucho stressful job. Everyone plays Lay-Z-boy coach, second guessing every decision and move they make.
    When you see one truly enjoying the moment and letting loose with the guys just after a big win, well that's a sight we need to see more.

We saw plenty of this during the FHCGM years. Refchick and I got to experience quite a few of the locker room celebrations with the teams and enjoyed the scene and jubilation on everyones face.

Here's hoping we get to see many more - regardless of who is calling the shots.

That is all.
    Plus that NM v NMS series is brutal. 2 teams with history, do NOT like each other at all, with passionate, blue collar fan bases. I remember one game between them, years and years ago (30+ I think) where a fight broke out late that included chairs. It wasn't pretty. Not sure fans were involved (not sure they weren't either) but it was as big a melee as I've ever seen.

Comment

• East Carolina beats NC A&T 82-71. Pirates are 8-2 against a pretty bad schedule (losses to OU and Davidson) and haven't played a road game (7 home 3 neutral) yet and won't until @USF on 1/1.

Noah Fernandes had 24 and 7 assists for UMASS in an 82-76 loss at Northeastern.

Bradley loses a tough one at Toledo 67-65.

Michigan destroys Nebraska in Lincoln 102-67.

Tarleton finally gets a win against some team called Dallas Christian (could be a high school for all I know) 85-64.

Missouri blasts a bad Eastern Illinois team 72-44. Butler beats OU 66-62 in OT.

Nothing wrong with that Temple win. Vandy isn't horrible.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Not picking on you AT ALL, nor anyone in particular, but he did get his team to the tourney last year, won the league (and I am acutely aware of the scheduling oddities that may have assisted in that) and has started this season 6-2.

I haven't heard one single negative thing regarding a men's basketball student athlete since he took over.

Yes, the KState game was bad. But I'm not sure that things are headed in the wrong direction.

Everything he said after the game, press conference, interviews, all suggest he sees and shares the concerns of many of us and intends to address those concerns. It kind of defies reality to think that even though he sees the problem and the solution, that he won't do anything about it.

And now back to our regularly scheduled griping.
        We're good, Doc. Just describing the bad timing of a horrible loss (IMO) for us with CJ and his team's jubilation.

However, this team could have easily been 4-4 right now and just as easily 8-0. We could have been either and not played much worse or much better in doing so. We take a very good Arizona to overtime and another good OSU and beat them at their place. Yet, look bad in losing to KSU and pretty much so in 2 of our first 3 "warm up" games and have no idea how good or bad UNLV really is. We are still having some of the same problems we had at the beginning of the schedule. I don't mean hiccups now and then, but generally most of the time. Even at OSU we started both halves horrible, yet finish strong in both halves. Fortunately, we played fewer horrible minutes and more solid ones.

Saying "the right direction" probably wasn't the best wording. Maybe just seeing a direction of continued improvement in play. We now have some games where we should see whether we are improving or just playing like we were at the beginning of the season.

Comment

Not picking on you AT ALL, nor anyone in particular, but he did get his team to the tourney last year, won the league (and I am acutely aware of the scheduling oddities that may have assisted in that) and has started this season 6-2.

I haven't heard one single negative thing regarding a men's basketball student athlete since he took over.

Yes, the KState game was bad. But I'm not sure that things are headed in the wrong direction.

Everything he said after the game, press conference, interviews, all suggest he sees and shares the concerns of many of us and intends to address those concerns. It kind of defies reality to think that even though he sees the problem and the solution, that he won't do anything about it.

And now back to our regularly scheduled griping.
          I really hope you’re right. I think many of us have seen these things building through pretty much the whole season now. I guess the wins ( all close) helped mask it up and nobody thought it was worth addressing. Why did it have to take an ugly home L for it to get addressed? This isn’t the only game where clear adjustments were needed and didn’t happen.

The other unfortunate part is we’re really not gonna get a chance to really see if we’ve learned anything until the end of December when conference season starts, thanks to the patsy scheduling.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Syracuse gets run late and loses 67-53 to Nova. Another quality loss for the 'Cuse, solidifying their all but certain at large bid. 8-10 in the ACC or better and they are a stone cold lock.

Comment

Syracuse gets run late and loses 67-53 to Nova. Another quality loss for the 'Cuse, solidifying their all but certain at large bid. 8-10 in the ACC or better and they are a stone cold lock.
              I happened onto a Boeheim ruckus with a reporter yesterday, which led to SEVERAL Boeheim video ruckus moments with reporters...he is not aging well.... kind of like Calhoun...

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I really hope you’re right. I think many of us have seen these things building through pretty much the whole season now. I guess the wins ( all close) helped mask it up and nobody thought it was worth addressing. Why did it have to take an ugly home L for it to get addressed? This isn’t the only game where clear adjustments were needed and didn’t happen.

The other unfortunate part is we’re really not gonna get a chance to really see if we’ve learned anything until the end of December when conference season starts, thanks to the patsy scheduling.
                While there are some bad teams coming up, Norfolk St and N. Texas could both beat the Shockers if they don't get things figured out. I hope they use this week of practice to do that.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

I happened onto a Boeheim ruckus with a reporter yesterday, which led to SEVERAL Boeheim video ruckus moments with reporters...he is not aging well.... kind of like Calhoun...
                  Is JB still coaching because he loves it, and Syracuse is his historical legacy (like Gene S.), or because he has a 21 or 22 year old son playing on the team, that he sired when he was 55? His wife just turned 55 (JB is 77), so another option may be that she told JB that he had to continue working and couldn't retire yet.

Comment

Texas Tech v Tennessee and LMU @ Tulsa set basketball back a couple of decades at least. PAINFUL to watch both.
                    Tulsa has size and talent but lacks coaching. It is a shame that not many go to their games. Shocker Nation probably brings more fans to our game in Tulsa than they have for other games.

Comment

That's the 2nd loss to Charleston in 8 days. A decent Charleston team that should be 7-2 if it weren't for a miracle Furman comeback (down 15 multiple times, still down 8 with 2 minutes left and 6 with 25 seconds, got 2 threes, one at the buzzer to get it to OT at home) and questionable officiating (31 fouls to 16 even though Furman trailed for the last 30 minutes of regulation, leading to a FT disparity of 17 to 39).

However Okie State blasted C of C 96-66. Tulane better start rebounding (29-40 tonight) or it's going to be a LONG season in the American.

Tulsa drops a terrible game to LMU in Tulsa in front of dozens of fans (maybe a couple thousand bodies....MAYBE). They look so disinterested. I'm telling you all, showing up to the games MATTER. Show your support, let these kids know you care, and they absolutely will play better. There was nothing to encourage Tulsa tonight.
                      That pesky Bob Ritchie…..

Comment

That's the 2nd loss to Charleston in 8 days. A decent Charleston team that should be 7-2 if it weren't for a miracle Furman comeback (down 15 multiple times, still down 8 with 2 minutes left and 6 with 25 seconds, got 2 threes, one at the buzzer to get it to OT at home) and questionable officiating (31 fouls to 16 even though Furman trailed for the last 30 minutes of regulation, leading to a FT disparity of 17 to 39).

However Okie State blasted C of C 96-66. Tulane better start rebounding (29-40 tonight) or it's going to be a LONG season in the American.

Tulsa drops a terrible game to LMU in Tulsa in front of dozens of fans (maybe a couple thousand bodies....MAYBE). They look so disinterested. I'm telling you all, showing up to the games MATTER. Show your support, let these kids know you care, and they absolutely will play better. There was nothing to encourage Tulsa tonight.
                        I agree and understand but the 7500 tried and true will show up but we have an athletic department that are corporate whores and seem to delight and scheme different ways to fook over the 7500 faithful many of whom can’t write off the tickets as a marketing expense. As we’ve discussed in other threads, it is becoming less and less worth it as the athletic department doesn’t care about the Shocker faithful who have supported the program and university for generations. It started long before HCIB and was first reflected in the unwillingness to reward the Shocker faithful with the College Basketball Experience in KC.

Winning and winning against quality opponents tend to solve all problems. Corporate whoring or not. Until the athletic department looks in the mirror it will not get any better.
                        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post

I agree and understand but the 7500 tried and true will show up but we have an athletic department that are corporate whores and seem to delight and scheme different ways to fook over the 7500 faithful many of whom can’t write off the tickets as a marketing expense. As we’ve discussed in other threads, it is becoming less and less worth it as the athletic department doesn’t care about the Shocker faithful who have supported the program and university for generations. It started long before HCIB and was first reflected in the unwillingness to reward the Shocker faithful with the College Basketball Experience in KC.

Winning and winning against quality opponents tend to solve all problems. Corporate whoring or not. Until the athletic department looks in the mirror it will not get any better.
                          From what I’ve heard your “corporate whores” comment can be directed directly to wealthy SASO contributors and SASO board members (who most are wealthy and influential). They influence athletic fund raising most.

Comment

• A few interesting games tonight:

Dayton @ SMU

UNLV hosts 7-2 Seattle

7-0 Arizona hosts 8-0 Wyoming

Omaha hosts the Geese but I'm guessing Pooh Bear is injured as he's appeared in only 3 games (all starts) out of 8.

7-2 Marquette is at Kansas State tonight. Marquette has a quality win over Illinois but was handled pretty easily by SBU and Wisky.

Jacksonville State @ VCU

Comment

A few interesting games tonight:

Dayton @ SMU

UNLV hosts 7-2 Seattle

7-0 Arizona hosts 8-0 Wyoming

Omaha hosts the Geese but I'm guessing Pooh Bear is injured as he's appeared in only 3 games (all starts) out of 8.

7-2 Marquette is at Kansas State tonight. Marquette has a quality win over Illinois but was handled pretty easily by SBU and Wisky.

Jacksonville State @ VCU
                              i hate that i have to pull for KSU the rest of the way ..

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

i hate that i have to pull for KSU the rest of the way ..
                                What has been seen, cannot be unseen...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X