Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
    Aresco said he suspects the American to add several schools in the “coming weeks to a month.”

Instead of bringing in established schools, he (Aresco) believes the conference can survive by bringing in lesser schools and raising their profile once they are in the conference.
    Awesome.

I mean not really.

Comment

• If you have the nicest house in the neighborhood, everyone else's home values increase, while yours decreases.
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
        If you have the nicest house in the neighborhood, everyone else's home values increase, while yours decreases.
        But it still may be better than having abandoned homes.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
          Mark me down as someone who hopes the MWC and AAC simmers down to it's most quality elements, maybe picks up another MBB only, and the plan includes WSU as well. That'd be pretty close to the potential (read: not actual performance as of that spot in time) the AAC had when we joined.

The BE, generally, has zero commonality with WSU:
          • We do a good bit of research. Not inline with a B10 land grant school, but we do a ton compared to peer intuitions. BE on average do squat. Like LOL levels, which is hilarious considering their high-brow consideration of themselves.
          • WSU has a mid- to large-sized enrollment. BE on average are much smaller. What you might label "boutique" institutions.
          • Our academic rankings suck because we provide a path to a college education to many comers of all races and socioeconomic demos. BE schools on average are schools for wealthy white kids, with a few token, icky "others" thrown in for free and good measure so they can pat themselves on the back. Shocking I know, but that contributes very significantly towards their ranking metrics.

It is oil and water.
          Is UConn a boutique institution? 32,183.

Everything changed when they were accepted.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post

But it still may be better than having abandoned homes.
            Municipalities tear down blighted homes, because they view vacant lots to be a better choice.

Then, generally, they're smart enough to write their zoning such that someone can't plop down a single wide on one of those vacant lots.

Aresco is perched to invite single wides into the neighborhood.

We spent a lot of money, effort, and resources to get our house out of the trailer park a few years ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Founding BE member. Flagship public school in a state cuddled right up in the bosom of the BE footprint.

No, they don't expressly fit all of the BE commonalities, but they check some damn important boxes that we don't.

Comment

Aresco said he suspects the American to add several schools in the “coming weeks to a month.”

Instead of bringing in established schools, he (Aresco) believes the conference can survive by bringing in lesser schools and raising their profile once they are in the conference.

https://www.smudailycampus.com/sport...for-conference
                Everything is going according to plan then.

After he brings in the turds, then we wait to hear murmurings of discontentment from any of the following 3: SMU, Memphis, Tulsa.

On a slightly longer time horizon we wait to see any traction on KU/OSU's escape attempts.

Any interest from "the boutiques" is welcome but unrelated to our main objective: the destruction of the AAC.

We have three goals:

1) Enter the MWC along w/ Memphis, SMU, and Tulsa (highest probability)

2) Enter the B12 along w/ Memphis, SMU, Tulsa, etc. after it almost completely dissolves essentially becoming the new AAC.

3) Get an invite from the Pee.

This is it. If none of that happens, we are either stuck in the AAC or back in the MVC.

So BRING ON THE CUSA TURDS! No half measures will do.

Comment

https://www.smudailycampus.com/sport...for-conference
                  That's like saying "the loss of Cincy, Houston, and UCF hasn't devalued the league enough. Let me devalue it some more".

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Nothing changed in regards as what the envision for their conference and the schools they associate with. UCon is one of few exceptions they would make because they have a long history with them. They'd also take back the schools that took off to the ACC if it were an option. Outside of those they had a long and successful history with, they're not going with public schools that match none of their academic and cultural criteria.

And let's be honest, outside of men's basketball, we have absolutely zero in common with them on any level. Not really an association that does much for the school and very well could hamper our research goals.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Founding BE member. Flagship public school in a state cuddled right up in the bosom of the BE footprint.

No, they don't expressly fit all of the BE commonalities, but they check some damn important boxes that we don't.
                      They don't bow to the Pope. Everything changed when they were accepted. The Pee wants Bball schools and they'll sell their souls to get them. It's just us and Gonzaga left.

Btw...

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Nothing changed in regards as what the envision for their conference and the schools they associate with. UCon is one of few exceptions they would make because they have a long history with them. They'd also take back the schools that took off to the ACC if it were an option. Outside of those they had a long and successful history with, they're not going with public schools that match none of their academic and cultural criteria.

And let's be honest, outside of men's basketball, we have absolutely zero in common with them on any level. Not really an association that does much for the school and very well could hamper our research goals.
                        They were dumped by the schools that left for the ACC/AAC because they were too smalltime and whined about football money. Then they paid for the Big East name so they could continue to pretend that THEY were the real BE, which is a laugh.

The Big Pee is a joke. They posed as a group of religious institutions to hide the fact that they were left on the side of the road like garbage. Their hypocrisy was exposed the moment they "allowed back" the weakest non-religious football member that left, UConn. All they (Villanova/Georgetown) really want is for it to be like it used to be. And schools like DePoop, Butler, Creighton, Xavier, etc. are just happy to be included.

They are truly VERY sorry for ever causing a problem and will gladly accept whatever share of the football revenue offered if only it could be like it was..... back in the BEAST days...

Comment

• Originally posted by WuTheOne View Post

That's like saying "the loss of Cincy, Houston, and UCF hasn't devalued the league enough. Let me devalue it some more".
                          I think he's more saying that the AAC helped build up a UCF and a Houston that were mostly irrelevant prior to their membership. They have capitalized on the opportunity provided.

I still think two is the smart play with UAB and one other. But I could see where maybe there's thoughts that a Charlotte or San Antonio or one of the F_U schools could have the potential to become the next UCF given better exposure and prestige.

I still favor adding UAB and Buffalo and then waiting to see what happens in the XII. If they don't do anything, you go after four to six from the MWC. If they do add two, the MWC play still may be available, especially if they lose Boise. If someone like KU or OSU do find an escape, who knows what the hell happens. At that point you're looking at the new American and you'd probably see adds from any remaining AAC schools that would have value. That's probably the worst case scenario as I doubt we would get invited at that point and they may take Memphis, Tulane and maybe try their shot at Boise and SDSU.

I still have doubts that if the XII does expand in a few years, that Memphis is taken. I also don't see SMU going as the XII is already Texas heavy and TCU is in the same metro. It's the same reason we probably aren't considering North Texas.

UAB seems like it will happen and we're only waiting on who else is coming.

Buffalo hasn't been talked about much in the media but offers a lot. They have aspirations of being more than they are and they know the MAC is holding them back. They want to be a B1G school pretty badly and have to take a step up if they ever hope on achieving that dream down the road.

If Charlotte is committed to their athletics and have convinced others that they are then maybe they're not a horrible third team if adding four.

Rice is Rice. If they ever committed to athletics they could be pretty good, even with their academic requirements. Maybe they lower them a bit for athletes, but there are some other high level academic institutions that are still able to compete.

Everyone else is pretty much hoping for the best and that a new conference elevates their game. It could happen. But this is why I like stopping at two and waiting. Keep spots open for four to six MWC schools and then you've got something going. Just add UAB now and if the XII does nothing you go get CSU, AFA, Boise, SDSU, Nevada/UNLV, Fresno and one more from east or west and have a pretty damn good 16 team conference with E/W divisions if needed.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• If it makes the BE feel better, WSU can go back to being Fairmount College.

I kid, I kid.

.....kinda.
                            The Assman

Comment

• Shocks tee it up against Texas Tech in a closed scrimmage tomorrow.

Seems strange that Memphis wouldn't take advantage of a scrimmage as well with such a young team. Maybe they're so good they don't need it.

AAC Cincinnati – 10/30 vs. Ohio
                              East Carolina – 10/23 at NC State; 10/30 vs. ETSU
                              Houston – 10/24 vs. Texas in San Antonio
                              Memphis – None
                              SMU – 10/16 vs. Utah State; 10/23 vs. Louisiana Tech
                              South Florida – 10/16 at FGCU
                              Temple – 10/30 vs. Seton Hall
                              Tulane – 10/29 vs. Louisiana Monroe; 11/3 vs. Louisiana College
                              Tulsa – 10/30 vs. Kansas
                              UCF – 10/23 vs. FIU; 10/30 vs. FGCU
                              Wichita State – 10/16 vs. Texas Tech in Wichita Falls, Texas

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Seems strange that Memphis wouldn't take advantage of a scrimmage as well with such a young team. Maybe they're so good they don't need it.
                                The scrimmage takes the place of an exhibition game, so maybe Memphis prioritized those, but given that their exhibitions are against Lemoyne-Owen and Lane College, it seems like a D1 scrimmage would have been better prep.
                                "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

Working...
                                X