Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• https://theathletic.com/2889432/2021....co/e5dlDud0y8
    Athletic article about big East expansion. Appears to be solely the writers opinion but she has WSU as the second addition behind Gonzaga when it comes to who moves the needle the most and most likely.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I'm not saying you're wrong, but you do speak of history, and your history is incomplete.
      • Not all in the BE are Catholic. Several aren't, and weren't under the past BE
      • Not all in the BE are Private currently or historically
      • There is a History of Bigger Public and Private Schools, in the BE that these schools didn't mind being a part of at that time
      • The BE is basketball-centric, and the current schools want their conference to be basketball-centric. This is a match with us. That seemed to be the biggest hurdle that they had with the bigger football playing Institutions (Louisville, Cincinnati, South Florida, West Virginia, Syracuse, Pittsburgh) None of these schools were Catholic schools. If not for football, they would all probably still be together, and maybe no Creighton or Butler.
      I'm not saying that Wichita State is going to be asked anytime soon into the BE nor do I know if that is even being pursued by WSU. But I think to close the door on it in the future is not smart. Our leadership (President on down the the AD) needs to build relationships with these schools and other schools, and discuss/pursue future possibilities. We do have some common ground to do that because we don't consider our school to be a football school. That would also make sense with the A10.
      The reason BE split was the division between P5 large public football schools and the basketball only Catholic schools. It's a completely different mindset, vision and misson that is not just centered around athletics and money.

Let me break it down based upon the main factors that IMO the BE is looking for in a prospective members (listed by importance):

1) Private (with bonus points if your president is Roman Catholic clergy) - NOPE
      2) Academics - NOPE
      3) Basketball Centric - CHECK
      4) Geographic Fit - NOPE
      5) Media Market - NOPE
      6) Existing Relationships - NOPE

Basketball is the only box we check. WSU admin has already been told by CU there is zero interest on BE's side. I'm not at all saying WSU admin should quit inquiring and working to foster relationships but the objective view says this is quite unlikely unless BE does 180 and shifts it public stance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

or

Loyola
        Northern Iowa
        Indiana State
        Bradley

You do make a compelling argument
        Well to be fair, I did call them the "greatest mid-major league of all time". The MVC used to be that until it dissolved.

And if you're gonna compare the MVC, you have to add us and Creighton. We did get 4 NCAA bids once. ;)

The MVC was doing what the Catholic 7 has perfected; gaming the power ranking metrics while not passing the eye test.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
          https://theathletic.com/2889432/2021....co/e5dlDud0y8
          Athletic article about big East expansion. Appears to be solely the writers opinion but she has WSU as the second addition behind Gonzaga when it comes to who moves the needle the most and most likely.
          Makes sense. Wichita State is a national brand and moves the needle. Even if we aren't going to heaven as per the Catholic dogma.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
            https://theathletic.com/2889432/2021....co/e5dlDud0y8
            Interesting. No media member, regardless of how prominent or prestigious their outlet, is the end all be all opinion. That goes double for ShockerNet posters who like to pretend they have all the answers.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

The reason BE split was the division between P5 large public football schools and the basketball only Catholic schools. It's a completely different mindset, vision and misson that is not just centered around athletics and money.

Let me break it down based upon the main factors that IMO the BE is looking for in a prospective members (listed by importance):

1) Private (with bonus points if your president is Roman Catholic clergy) - NOPE
              2) Academics - NOPE
              3) Basketball Centric - CHECK
              4) Geographic Fit - NOPE
              5) Media Market - NOPE
              6) Existing Relationships - NOPE

Basketball is the only box we check. WSU admin has already been told by CU there is zero interest on BE's side. I'm not at all saying WSU admin should quit inquiring and working to foster relationships but the objective view says this is quite unlikely unless BE does 180 and shifts it public stance.
              That is your opinion.

Following is a quote from the Big East commissioner on what they will be looking for in expansion schools

**“"What keeps us in a prime position in respect to our media rights? It’s about quality basketball programming. What school would help us with our basketball aspirations, men’s and women’s? What school lines up with our existing values? What school would help us with respect to our primary revenue stream, and national TV revenue?”

The commissioner also mentioned that media outlets have been in contact with advise on how the league needs to expand to increase it's value.

We absolutely have a decent shot to go to the Big East and should be doing everything we can to make that happen. Most importantly we need to win, get to the tournament and advance. The next couple years it is very important for us to be good.
              Last edited by Topshock; October 14, 2021, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• Our president should be on the phone w/ the BP right now discussing our research prowess and burgeoning Innovation Campus. We are a helluva lot more than our US News ranking would indicate. We make Creighton, with their cute little class sizes, look like Newman University.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post
                  We absolutely have a decent shot to go to the Big East and should be doing everything we can to make that happen. Most importantly we need to win, get to the tournament and advance. The next couple years it is very important for us to be good.
                  Yes. And we have a New York guy as our star player and conference POY. Imagine what a Final Four appearance this year would do for our Big East chances.

Comment

• Another thing to consider is that if WSU joined the Big East, we would be the only school in the conference with a national championship in baseball. Let's not sell ourselves short. With a growing campus, large city presence, border state to an existing Big East member, national championship in baseball, and two Final Fours in basketball, we are as good of a fit for the Big East as any of the other schools that have been mentioned. I truly believe that. Dana O'Neil is a very good college basketball sportswriter who has been around for a long time. She knows her stuff. If she's saying WSU is the second-best option for the Big East after Gonzaga, folks are going to listen to that. Gonzaga is a very poor geographical fit for the Big East. We have an edge over them on that. If we could get back to another Final Four this year or next (especially this year), who knows what could happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShockFan View Post

Yes. And we have a New York guy as our star player and conference POY. Imagine what a Final Four appearance this year would do for our Big East chances.
                      Even a Sweet 16 would be extremely beneficial, I think.

Comment

• Mark me down as someone who hopes the MWC and AAC simmers down to it's most quality elements, maybe picks up another MBB only, and the plan includes WSU as well. That'd be pretty close to the potential (read: not actual performance as of that spot in time) the AAC had when we joined.

The BE, generally, has zero commonality with WSU:
                        • We do a good bit of research. Not inline with a B10 land grant school, but we do a ton compared to peer intuitions. BE on average do squat. Like LOL levels, which is hilarious considering their high-brow consideration of themselves.
                        • WSU has a mid- to large-sized enrollment. BE on average are much smaller. What you might label "boutique" institutions.
                        • Our academic rankings suck because we provide a path to a college education to many comers of all races and socioeconomic demos. BE schools on average are schools for wealthy white kids, with a few token, icky "others" thrown in for free and good measure so they can pat themselves on the back. Shocking I know, but that contributes very significantly towards their ranking metrics.

It is oil and water.

Comment

• Bardo said creating “an elite little liberal arts college” at WSU “ain’t gonna work.”

“Do we wish we were an elite little liberal arts college?” Bardo said to the crowd. “That’s not who we are.

“We’re educating people like you and me who have to go to work for a living.”

Bardo said Fairmount College — what WSU was formerly known as — was founded “to serve the working people of Wichita, not to serve the intellectual elite.”

He said technology was a key part in that.

“When we look at tomorrow, what we know is that technology is going to continue to underwrite everything that happens. And it’s going to continue to spread.”

He said that “big science” will drive the future.

“We also know that the vast majority of federal funds and almost all private money is in applied research and development,” Bardo said.

Bardo addressed criticism of the university’s heavy focus on business and engineering.

“There are people who don’t like businesses being on campus,” Bardo said. “Fairmount College survived because some businesses in Wichita underwrote it. Because the reality is, times were always hard in Wichita.”

President Bardo presented to a group of Wichita State’s unclassified professional employees, and spoke heavily of the role of the liberal arts in the STEM-focused direction of Innovation Campus. The Unclassified Professional Senate held its spring general meeting Wednesday night, drawing a crowd of about 110 attendees. Bardo said creating “an elite little liberal arts...

Comment

• I sure do miss President Bardo.

Comment

• Really miss The Bardo
                              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Aresco said he suspects the American to add several schools in the “coming weeks to a month.”

Instead of bringing in established schools, he (Aresco) believes the conference can survive by bringing in lesser schools and raising their profile once they are in the conference.

https://www.smudailycampus.com/sport...for-conference
                                Last edited by TrackSuitAndTie; October 15, 2021, 08:20 AM. Reason: Second link is broken and I can't figure out how to delete it.

Comment

Working...
                                X