Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shock View Post
    You didn’t have any problems posting it to r/collegebasketball
    That was a prime opportunity to dunk on delusional CUSA fans. Shockernet is filled with sensible posters.

Joking aside, I just forgot to post it here.

Comment

• I think regionalization makes a lot of sense to the CUSA and Sunbelt--they have a lot to gain. It doesn't for the American--it has a lot to lose. The MWC and MAC are already mostly regionalized.
      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Isn't what is left of the AAC basically just CUSA teams?

Comment

• College sports reporter Matt Brown said on his podcast yesterday that he thinks the second most likely team to join the AAC (after UAB, which he thinks is a lock and will be announced soon) is Charlotte. He has broken some realignment news in the past (Belmont to MVC) so I would lend some credence to his thoughts. Interesting to note that he said he has no clue who the AAC would add after UAB and (potentially) Charlotte.

Link to the podcast is below.
          ‎If you love college athletics and want to better understand how it works, the Going for Two Podcast will dive into the latest news and provide analysis about some of the forces that shape college athletics on and off the field. Hosted by the Extra Points newsletter's Matt Brown and longtime national…

Comment

• I really don't understand Charlotte. When's the last time they were relevant in anything? Does the city even know they exist?

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
              I really don't understand Charlotte. When's the last time they were relevant in anything? Does the city even know they exist?
              They do have a Final Four to their credit but I agree this add would be based on potential only. Their current basketball coach, Ron Sanchez, is a former Tony Bennett assistant and seems to have the program trending upward.

Comment

• Dana O'Neil

@DanaONeilWriter
                Big East Commissioner Val Ackerman told The Athletic that with the FOX deal expiring in 2025, she will ask her presidents to at least examine expansion. "That's in the back of our minds,'' she said. "What school helps with our basketball aspirations?"
                1:33 PM · Oct 13, 2021·TheAthletic
                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• I doubt they expand. If they do, they'll take SLU.
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I doubt they expand. If they do, they'll take SLU.
                    Why SLU?

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post
                      College sports reporter Matt Brown said on his podcast yesterday that he thinks the second most likely team to join the AAC (after UAB, which he thinks is a lock and will be announced soon) is Charlotte. He has broken some realignment news in the past (Belmont to MVC) so I would lend some credence to his thoughts. Interesting to note that he said he has no clue who the AAC would add after UAB and (potentially) Charlotte.

Link to the podcast is below.
                      Charlotte does most likely have growth and potential...but being selfish I hope they are not added as we have been recruiting North Carolina hard the last few years and I'd hate to lose that region to an AAC competitor.
                      FINAL FOURS:
                      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                      Number of Times Ranked: 157
                      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                      #3 - Dec. 2017
                      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                      #2 ~ March 2014
                      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
                        Isn't what is left of the AAC basically just CUSA teams?
                        Are Houston and Central Florida great improvements over OU and Texas? Is BYU?

What are you gonna' share with us next? A Valley team could never beat the best team in the b12, and never will? But since you're an intelligent Shockernetter you know better, right?

Comment

I doubt they expand. If they do, they'll take SLU.
                          I highly doubt when she said "helps with our basketball aspirations" she was thinking SLU. Dayton though? Absolutely. Gonzaga? That's a no brainer but the geography would be difficult to overcome. VCU? WSU? Sure, If they end up admitting publics.

But SLU? C'mon man.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Why SLU?
                            SLU is a small, highly regarded private, research oriented Jesuit University first off; historically they have had success in basketball. IMO they are a perfect fit for the Big East and I don't know why they were not invited to join prior to Creighton

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

SLU is a small, highly regarded private, research oriented Jesuit University first off; historically they have had success in basketball. IMO they are a perfect fit for the Big East and I don't know why they were not invited to join prior to Creighton
                              Almost all of their success was pre-1960.
                              1952 Elite 8, and 1957 Sweet 16
                              They reached the round of 32 several times, but mainly in years when that was the second round.
                              Not a lot of basketball national success
                              Last edited by Shockm; October 13, 2021, 04:20 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

All that said, they will bring added value to the league? Sorry, just don't see it.

Comment

Working...
                                X