Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shoxing Me Softly View Post
    I keep seeing facilities of wanna be AAC schools on the american forum. Wichita State facilities seem old and outdated when I see stuff like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJH-jSa8RQs
    The new JMU facilities are very nice, but their arena only holds 8500. Their old facilities were a complete dump.

Comment

• Originally posted by shox1989 View Post

The new JMU facilities are very nice, but their arena only holds 8500. Their old facilities were a complete dump.
      I'm not sure only 8500 is the right term. That's a solid arena and if they fill it up would be far greater attendance than most of the AAC. I'm not advocating for them, but it's a solid size. The more concerning aspect of JMU attendance is that in 2019 they only averaged 2464 per game. Still higher than Tulane, which isn't saying much. But the arena would be more than sufficient for the current attendance numbers of Tulane, UCF, USF, ECU, Tulsa, SMU, Houston and Temple.

Since I have the numbers pulled up and I'm using 2019 since that was before Covid killed attendance, here are numbers for some of the considered schools (I'm adding a few MAC schools that I know little about). I'm guessing this isn't going to be pretty.

App St. - 1026
      Buffalo - 5290
      Charlotte - 3696
      Coastal Car. - 1199
      FIU - 994
      FAU - 1190
      Ga. Southern - 1988
      Ga. State - 1716
      James Mad - 2464
      Liberty - 2913
      Louisiana - 3596
      La Tech - 2170
      Marshall - 6065
      UMass - 2792
      Miami - 1696
      No. Illinois - 1083
      North Tex - 3364
      Ohio - 5490
      ODU - 6620
      Rice - 1818
      S. Miss - 2786
      Tex. St - 3067
      Toledo - 4771
      UAB - 3037
      UTSA - 1277
      W. Kentucky - 5809

Some appear to have decent support. The average D1 attendance was 4593 for the year.
      The AAC averaged 6739 and that's inflated by the three schools that have over 10k on average (Wichita, Memphis, Cincinnati)

Cincinnati - 11256
      ECU - 3755
      Houston - 6052
      Memphis - 14065
      SMU - 5770
      USF - 3365
      Temple - 6211
      Tulane - 1457
      Tulsa - 4229
      Wichita - 10194
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I'd only want to add one of those schools (like maybe ODU) if we could kick out ECU. Adding another marginal school does nothing for us other than adding a warm body that we will complain about later.

Comment

• I'm not sure ODU gets through the football side of things.

I don't follow college football closely since we don't play, but of this list I would think based on what I can recall that the ones that could get by in football might be App St., Buffalo, Coastal, FAU, Liberty, Marshall, N. Texas, Toledo, UAB, UTSA and WKU. All of these schools have something working against them as well, be it basketball success, budget constraints, location, history, lack of history, politics.

I'm still saying the best move is to add no more than two until the XII decides what it's going to do. And nobody is getting kicked out. Especially the school that has one of the best football attendance numbers in the conference. I'm guessing on that. I remember back in the day that was the only bragging right that ECU fans seemed to have was how well supported football was in wherever they're located.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Everyone talks about Liberty; but under 3K? What's the attraction?

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
              Everyone talks about Liberty; but under 3K? What's the attraction?
              They've found some success in both football and basketball and have the money to keep investing and have shown a desire to do it.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Surprised this hasn’t been posted yet:

Sources: C-USA Asks AAC to Consider a Reorganizing of Both Conferences

At first I wasn’t sure about this but then I saw that CUSA sponsors beach volleyball and now I think this is a must.
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• TrackSuitAndTie you couldn’t post this here?
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Big East or Bust
                    The Assman

Comment

• I see we have reached the bargaining stage in this grief saga:

"If we can add Buffalo and Toledo..."

Depression to follow as we recognize the last ships have left the port and we are not on one. A Hail Mary from the Big East our only lifeline.

Acceptance of our fate as a diminished national brand? Elusive for many.

Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                        Surprised this hasn’t been posted yet:

Sources: C-USA Asks AAC to Consider a Reorganizing of Both Conferences

At first I wasn’t sure about this but then I saw that CUSA sponsors beach volleyball and now I think this is a must.
                        Is there really a need to discuss something that has no chance of happening and is laughable to even consider? They want to remake the conferences to make them tighter? They want to convince schools making millions on media deals to give that up and hook up with less desirable schools that are probably making less than 500k and don't bring much value? All for a few more bus rides?
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                          TrackSuitAndTie you couldn’t post this here?
                          shock To quote the great SubGod22: "Is there really a need to discuss something that has no chance of happening and is laughable to even consider?"

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

shock To quote the great SubGod22: "Is there really a need to discuss something that has no chance of happening and is laughable to even consider?"
                            That eliminate half of the post on shockernet

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

You didn’t have any problems posting it to r/collegebasketball

Comment

Working...
                                X