Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think people just assume VCU, since they are an urban public university like WSU.

Dayton would be a great add. Fantastic fanbase.
    The Assman

Comment

• I'm leaning UNLV. Big city university, adds to the western wing, which is where we're going to have to get more schools in the future. They also have national brand recognition.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
        I'm leaning UNLV. Big city university, adds to the western wing, which is where we're going to have to get more schools in the future. They also have national brand recognition.
        Not sure you get UNLV without BSU and/or SDSU. I think they'd be a target in the 2nd expansion if either or both of BSU and SDSU are available and willing. Plus it would put UNLV on an island unless you can bring in the previous two mentioned and/or Fresno or Utah State.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Not sure you get UNLV without BSU and/or SDSU. I think they'd be a target in the 2nd expansion if either or both of BSU and SDSU are available and willing. Plus it would put UNLV on an island unless you can bring in the previous two mentioned and/or Fresno or Utah State.
          Is there really that much talk about SDSU getting into a power conference? If so, who? PAC is the only one that has a geographic fit. Don't see an invite from anyone else. Guessing I'm missing something.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
            I think people just assume VCU, since they are an urban public university like WSU.

Dayton would be a great add. Fantastic fanbase.
            I wonder if St. Louis would have interest for Olympic sports. They're a geographic outlier in the A-10. However, SLU is a private school.

It seems odd to me that we have only heard rumors around CSU, AFA, and UAB, with no concrete evidence of a fourth school.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Is there really that much talk about SDSU getting into a power conference? If so, who? PAC is the only one that has a geographic fit. Don't see an invite from anyone else. Guessing I'm missing something.
              There were some past talks in the background of the B12 possibly going after them. Hell, if they're willing to go to Idaho, SDSU has a better overall profile in both academics and athletics. I doubt the PAC would ever invite them. But SDSU, from what I remember, was willing to join the Big East before the split only if Boise went too. They didn't want to be all alone out west. I could see a scenario where the B12 would invite both Boise and SDSU, but I doubt it. But SDSU is going to wait and see how that all plays out. I think Boise would join us now if they didn't have a possible pending invite from the B12 hanging over.

Best case scenario is the B12 announces they're staying at 12 in a few years and then we can make a westward expansion play of getting both and a few others.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by TrackSuitAndTie View Post

I wonder if St. Louis would have interest for Olympic sports. They're a geographic outlier in the A-10. However, SLU is a private school.

It seems odd to me that we have only heard rumors around CSU, AFA, and UAB, with no concrete evidence of a fourth school.
                As I recall, SLU is all about east coast exposure and they are perfectly happy where they are and all of the NE exposure they get. I'm not sure they'd be willing to trade that in for a more southern based conference.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

When people talk about basketball only, they mean non-football.

I also know I'm probably in the minority, but I'd prefer Dayton over VCU.
                  Yes, my bad. When I wrote "basketball only" I meant Olympic/non-football. I hate it when I see "basketball only" myself on message board discussions and here I go doing it myself...

Anyway, the point is don't expect the conference to add an Olympic along with Army--IF Army joins.
                  "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    I'm leaning UNLV. Big city university, adds to the western wing, which is where we're going to have to get more schools in the future. They also have national brand recognition.
                    Talk to ESPN. They seem unimpressed.
                    "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

Talk to ESPN. They seem unimpressed.
                      I assume any moves Aresco makes will only be made with ESPN's blessing.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I assume any moves Aresco makes will only be made with ESPN's blessing.
                        That's pretty much a given. Unless they say no matter what, your TV deal is X, then we add whoever we want. As long as ESPN is willing to pay, and keep us above the rest, they play a big part. Not that we don't have some veto power. I recall seeing FAU mentioned and I'm not sure what they really offer outside of being in Miami. UTSA isn't much different, other than I would like a 2nd team in Texas.

This is where the 4th seems to be so difficult if it isn't Army.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• No one ever talks about New Mexico in these discussions. But, it's a flagship school in a large city in a growing state and it shares a border with existing AAC states.

What about Colorado State, Air Force, New Mexico, and UAB?

Comment

There were some past talks in the background of the B12 possibly going after them. Hell, if they're willing to go to Idaho, SDSU has a better overall profile in both academics and athletics. I doubt the PAC would ever invite them. But SDSU, from what I remember, was willing to join the Big East before the split only if Boise went too. They didn't want to be all alone out west. I could see a scenario where the B12 would invite both Boise and SDSU, but I doubt it. But SDSU is going to wait and see how that all plays out. I think Boise would join us now if they didn't have a possible pending invite from the B12 hanging over.

Best case scenario is the B12 announces they're staying at 12 in a few years and then we can make a westward expansion play of getting both and a few others.
                            Is it wise for SDSU to sit back and wait, risking being left in a heavily depleted MWC if Boise is gone (and others) with no invite to power conference? Bird in the hand kinda scenario.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Not really much traction. They just assume it is going to happen. Naive thinking on their part. They will not get in to the Pac 12. USC and UCLA in particular will not allow it as they do not want to fight with them for recruiting. Never happen.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

That's what I was implying. "Sheep judging."

Weren’t you the one talking about storming the field at a KState game? Doesn’t that make you a sheep judge yourself?
                                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X