Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

As much as I hate to admit this, SWOMO probably has more potential than pretty much any other Valley school to get into an FBS conference and have some success.
    I think they'd be very happy in the Belt
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by yesimaKUfan View Post

Safely bottom 5-10 for sure. Yep, stadium is a disaster. We better be investing heavily and I'll be the first to increase my donations once the campaign ends the quiet phase. That said, I'm a Wichita native and one of my degrees is from Wichita State so I would like to see football added and would like to see the school's profile grow through stronger conference alignment. I enjoy engaging with fans even though I'm sure it annoys some people that I'm here. At least I'm up front about my allegiances and try to avoid behavior that might be considered trolling.
      You're a good KU fan.

Comment

• The thought of adding UAB gives me just a little bit of nausea, but the rest of the potential eastern adds cause me to projectile vomit. There's not a single one that brings actual value.

It's west or bust in my opinion. We may not be able to promise significantly more money (the $7M will undoubtedly go down), but the AAC can give them better TV timeslots and exposure to better recruiting territory. Hopefully a couple million bucks more is worth the travel for them.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• West wing is the only thing that moves the needle for me.

Comment

The thought of adding UAB gives me just a little bit of nausea, but the rest of the potential eastern adds cause me to projectile vomit. There's not a single one that brings actual value.

It's west or bust in my opinion. We may not be able to promise significantly more money (the $7M will undoubtedly go down), but the AAC can give them better TV timeslots and exposure to better recruiting territory. Hopefully a couple million bucks more is worth the travel for them.
            West is definitely the best case scenario for basketball. From the eastern adds I think UAB and Liberty would regularly push for NCAA berths in basketball. However, football will likely dictate the expansion.

Comment

The thought of adding UAB gives me just a little bit of nausea, but the rest of the potential eastern adds cause me to projectile vomit. There's not a single one that brings actual value.

From the TV perspective, I think adding Boise, SDSU and AFA would be sufficient enough to at least maintain the 7M. I still feel like as we currently are, the 7M would go up with a new deal as we've brought in good ratings and had good success when it comes to national rankings in both sports. Bring in a SDSU that has a good reputation in both sports, Boise who has a good reputation in football and has had some okay basketball and we know the academies bring in eyeballs and having yearly AFA/Navy games would be a bonus.

I'd still prefer another Texas school if a good option actually exists. But I think 12 is the number they want to get back to and the western four would make sense. Would the eastern schools still throw a bit of a fit? Would we need to add two in the east and go to 14? Nobody moves the needle quite like the MWC teams, but there still might be options.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• I posted this in some obscure thread somewhere else, but I'd like to drop this in here too:

The ship has sailed. Cutting football was a short sighted decision by weak leadership at a low point in the University's history. We're going to have to live with that. Today, there's very little donor support for the price tag it will take to bring back a competitive top level program, and every decision maker and donor knows we would have to start at the lower cost FCS level first. I think there's even less support and enthusiasm for starting a non-scholarship Pioneer level program just to have something to reference if we were to claim "we have football."

What is realistic--and what I hope is happening within university leadership and donor circles--is a focused effort to make WSU the best non-football athletics program in the country. There is absolutely no reason why that can't happen. So while there's no getting into a "power" conference without football, if the rest of our programs have all the resources they need and our facilities are best in class, I think doors will open up to opportunities some consider out of the question at this moment.
                "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• I'm really not too thrilled with most of the choices, particularly when it involves basketball. The AAC was generally the 7th ranked conference in basketball, sometimes a little ahead of one or another of the "Big 6". Losing Houston and Cincy means we're going to be battling the WCC and Atl-10 to stay 7th and replacing them with most of the schools mentioned isn't going to help that much. Keep in mind that the MWC was 10th last year in basketball and San Diego St brings the most when thinking of basketball and football whom I'd definitely want if we are trying to really improve the AAC. Of MWC teams not mentioned much, I'd also like Utah St.

While getting in the Big East is a long shot, I do think we would be a plus to the conference, not a minus. We would also add to the Atl-10, probably passing the AAC in basketball and present the best opportunity to challenge the bottom the P6 in basketball. After all, we are a basketball/baseball school.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                    I'm really not too thrilled with most of the choices, particularly when it involves basketball. The AAC was generally the 7th ranked conference in basketball, sometimes a little ahead of one or another of the "Big 6". Losing Houston and Cincy means we're going to be battling the WCC and Atl-10 to stay 7th and replacing them with most of the schools mentioned isn't going to help that much. Keep in mind that the MWC was 10th last year in basketball and San Diego St brings the most when thinking of basketball and football whom I'd definitely want if we are trying to really improve the AAC. Of MWC teams not mentioned much, I'd also like Utah St.

While getting in the Big East is a long shot, I do think we would be a plus to the conference, not a minus. We would also add to the Atl-10, probably passing the AAC in basketball and present the best opportunity to challenge the bottom the P6 in basketball. After all, we are a basketball/baseball school.
                    Obviously, the Big East would be the best possible outcome although it seems that the consensus is that is unlikely to happen. I guess the A-10 would be okay, It is really the only other basketball focused conference outside of the Big East. I am assuming if the A-10 was interested in expanding they would want to add 2 schools to go from 14 to 16.

So in addition to Wichita State who would be another good option the Shocks could be paired with?
                    Last edited by 1972Shocker; September 15, 2021, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Obviously, the Big East would be the best possible outcome although it seems that the consensus is that is unlikely to happen. I guess the A-10 would be okay, It is really the only other basketball focuses conference outside of the Big East. I am assuming if the A-10 was interested in expanding they woould want to add 2 schools to go from 14 to 16.

So in addition to Wichita State who would be another good option the Shocks could be paired with?
                      Loyola Chicago maybe? That would be a pretty juicy basketball conference (if you ignore the bottom 3-4 teams).

Comment

• Ran some numbera on T-Rank, mainly because it's easy to quickly compare schools. Here's the basketball breakdown for the programs in question for the past four seasons (average rank at season's end). For reference, the AAC's numbers are included.

The caveat here is that basketball will play a very small part in the selection process (if any part at all), so this is really just about figuring out to what degree our basketball fortunes are going to suffer when the picks are announced.

——
                        TEAM T-RANK
                        Houston 11
                        SDSU 43
                        Wichita State 47
                        Cincinnati 49
                        Memphis 72
                        LIBERTY (3 year avg.) 75
                        BUFFALO 78
                        Southern Methodist 80
                        BOISE STATE 84
                        Central Florida 86
                        Tulsa 104
                        Temple 105
                        LOUISIANA TECH 112
                        NORTH TEXAS 115
                        GEORGIA STATE 123
                        OLD DOMINION 129
                        UAB 133
                        MARSHALL 134
                        COLORADO STATE 149
                        UTSA 164
                        South Florida 173
                        LOUISIANA 175
                        FLORIDA ATLANTIC 185
                        Tulane 192
                        APP STATE 202
                        SOUTHERN MISS 210
                        RICE 229
                        East Carolina 234
                        AIR FORCE 240
                        Last edited by Wuzee; September 15, 2021, 04:28 PM.
                        “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Originally posted by Wuzee View Post
                          Ran some numbera on T-Rank, mainly because it's easy to quickly compare schools. Here's the basketball breakdown for the programs in question for the past four seasons (average rank at season's end). For reference, the AAC's numbers are included.

The caveat here is that basketball will play a very small part in the selection process (if any part at all), so this is really just about figuring out to what degree our basketball fortunes are going to suffer when the picks are announced.

——
                          TEAM T-RANK
                          Houston 11
                          SDSU 43
                          Wichita State 47
                          Cincinnati 49
                          Memphis 72
                          LIBERTY 75
                          BUFFALO 78
                          Southern Methodist 80
                          BOISE STATE 84
                          Central Florida 86
                          Tulsa 104
                          Temple 105
                          LOUISIANA TECH 112
                          NORTH TEXAS 115
                          GEORGIA STATE 123
                          OLD DOMINION 129
                          UAB 133
                          MARSHALL 134
                          COLORADO STATE 149
                          UTSA 164
                          South Florida 173
                          LOUISIANA 175
                          FLORIDA ATLANTIC 185
                          Tulane 192
                          APP STATE 202
                          SOUTHERN MISS 210
                          RICE 229
                          East Carolina 234
                          AIR FORCE 240
                          Let's take six. The western four along with Buffalo and Liberty. You take on AFA because they're a net benefit to the TV deal. SDSU, Boise, Liberty and Buffalo ease the pain of losing Houston and Cincinnati. That would also help in football as SDSU and Boise carry weight, AFA carries eyes and Liberty continues to make progress and has a following. Not sure where Colorado State falls in football but they have potential and they bring AFA with them.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Comment

• From the whispers I have heard, I’m not expecting any inspiring additions. (Since it’s all hearsay as of now, I won’t say anything further).

Hope I am wrong.
                              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                                From the whispers I have heard, I’m not expecting any inspiring additions. (Since it’s all hearsay as of now, I won’t say anything further).

Hope I am wrong.
                                I have not heard much other than what is posted on this thread. But my expectations are not set real high either at this point. And since Aresco said he was only going to pursue programs that have approached the AAC it doesn't sound like a terribly pro-active approach. What that's telling me is that Aresco doesn't feel like he has a real strong hand to play and perhaps that is an indication of where ESPN stands at this point with a diminished AAC.

A also hope I am wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                X