Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021-22 Basketball happenings around the American Athletic!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DanielBryan View Post
    None of any of the mentioned teams come even close to UCF, Houston, Cinci.

we are ****ed
    That's how realignment works. The combination of BYU, Cincy, Houston and UCF doesn't actually offset the losses of OU/TX. You do the best with what you have.

And lets stop with the Valley BS. We're still in a better place. There are adds out there that can help and have potential. Yes, we do have to look at potential. Remember that with more exposure/prestige can come better results. Not guaranteed, but some schools make it happen.

Being able to pull the front range schools I'd consider a win.

Picking the best of the MWC would be a win.

I'm not sure how many the AAC would look to add, but having a combination of Buffalo, UAB, Liberty, North Texas/UTSA, one of the Louisiana's could be a win.

And I'm only considering the basketball side of these. But I think there is football potential with most of these as well.

Are these adds Houston, Cincy and UCF? Not really, but those three aren't OU and Texas either.

I don't see a AAC/MWC merger as someone else already pointed out that their commissioner is an arrogant jackass that I believe most MWC fans even hate. Some sort of scheduling alliance could occur to try and help boost each conference, but these have also been the top two "other" conferences in football that have competed for that top spot, so who knows.

I was hoping ESPN would be able to make enough concessions to help us maintain membership as we can be pretty certain the B8 isn't getting anywhere close to what they were getting once OU/TX leave.

Back to us, I'm not sure we can pick the best of the MWC. It would be great to do so, but I don't know if the money will be there to make sense for the extra travel. The front range schools could be a possibility. RMS makes it sound like CSU has been interested in the past and that would increase the likelihood of AFA. Those two, along with New Mexico and Wyoming have a pretty long history together and would as a whole be solid adds to both major sports.

Liberty would absolutely jump at the chance. They have the money and drive to continue getting better. The only thing hurting them now is politics because of their founder. I honestly believe the Flames would be a net benefit to both sports long term.

I think Buffalo could be a solid grab and may be the most likely MAC school to jump. Not that there are a lot of great MAC options.

I've seen someone mention one of the FxU schools. That doesn't excite me but I understand the desire to have a FL presence along with USF or in case USF ends up leaving (doubtful).

UAB I think would be a solid long term add as they appear invested in athletics and have a good market, even if it is dominated by Bama.

Ark State doesn't excite me but they have some solid football history. I guess at lest they'd be close.

North Texas shares the same metro as SMU. That could be their downside, but they also have solid potential in both sports. UTSA has had some decent success in football I think, considering they've only been playing a few years. I know, at least early on, they were getting tremendous fan support as they're in a football starved region of the state.

What's been going on at UTEP the past decade? They used to be one of those tweener schools for moving up but haven't heard anyone talk about them in a while.

The Louisiana schools mentioned seem ok for now, but I'm not sure how much upside they have as a whole. Wouldn't be at the top of my lists, but could be ok additions to fill out the conference if we need an extra add.

Army/VCU would be a HR, but Army has an open invitation and has for years and have shown no interest. Someone else already brought up the concerns for VCU. They're in a pretty good place within the A10.

Charlotte seems like a school you would think would have potential, but they are in a state with a lot of big competition which complicates things for them.

App St would be a solid football addition. Underwhelming for basketball.

UMass is a school often talked about, but they've really shown next to nothing in either sport or much of a dedication to them.

Rice is an academic powerhouse, but has never shown much interest in athletics. If they would make a commitment to that, I'd say they move towards to top of the list. But I don't think that they will.

I'm sure there are a couple of others that we could consider, but I think this covers most of the options, reasonable and more dream worthy.

I do think at lest pulling in CSU/AFA would be big. One, I wouldn't mind that road trip from time to time. Two, having an AFA/Navy football game every year would only be good for the TV deal. People love the academies and networks will pay for them. Another reason Army is so wanted by the AAC. But outside of that, there are pros and cons to consider for all of these.

If I had to pick four, I might just go simple and say the front range schools as a collective.

Outside of that, I'd take the CSU/AFA combo and then maybe go with UAB and Liberty. Though it's also hard not to have another Texas school. So if we need a fifth, just pick a Texas school.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post

We are in a better league than Gonzaga as long as Memphis stays.
      If Memphis leaves, we're still probably better off than the WCC. Gonazaga is the best program in either conference, but I'll take SMU over SMC as a whole and after that I think we still have better strength as a whole.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Norlander makes a great point, wondering what athletic program has improved after a conference move? He basically says none, except may Louisiville.

"Boston College. Miami. Maryland. Rutgers. Nebraska. Missouri. Texas A&M. Merely an initial list of casualties from the past two decades alone. None of those schools are more successful, or more relevant, today than they were in their prior conference. Before football and bigger-league pipe dreams led them to destroy traditions and tread new trails toward a place where, sure, the money is bigger. But at what cost to the prestige and reputation of your program, your school? "

Snubbed by the Big 12, here's why Memphis now needs to go all-in on becoming a college basketball power - CBSSports.com

Comment

• Norlander says Memphis is the”undisputed” best team left.

I dispute that. Stupid article.

Comment

• Welp, I just hope we can keep Memphis. Regardless, ADDB had better of been giving lip service with all that marriage talk. We’re in a football conference with no football. Better than the MVC? Sure. What we signed up for? No

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
              Norlander says Memphis is the”undisputed” best team left.

I dispute that. Stupid article.
              Yet, has never finished in front of the Shocks in league play. I'm willing to bet this year will be no different.

Undisputed my a$$.

Comment

• What a joke. Can't even hear or understand our esteemed AD on bad speaker.

Comment

• Maybe now that everything is official, Aresco will start making some announcements.

Comment

• The interesting thing to me is all of the P5 football TV deals combined doesn’t hold a candle, in terms of total dollars, the TV deal for just March Madness. However, the NCAA is the rights holder and they determine the distribution of the funds which goes to all schools at all divisions and the P5 hates that.

There’s talk/rumors of the P5 a breaking off from the NCAA. These rumors come in the form of “just football” will be it’s own thing to a complete sports break off.

What will happen to March Madness if a full break happens? A only P5 tournament sounds awesome for basketball, right? That’s what it appears to the end game of the “major” college sports programs. They don’t want to share with “lower” or any other levels.

What does that mean for the long term for programs like WSU? Ones that don’t have football but are on par (at least budget wise) in all other areas?

The Big East has the best leverage IMO as a basketball focused conference to be included in a break apart from the NCAA if that does happen.

High level basketball has extreme value but not in its current configuration. This won’t happen overnight meaning they may stay pat for awhile but we need to be positioning ourselves to be ready bolt at a moment’s notice for a basketball focused power conference which is only the BE right now.

College athletics is changing and will be volatile over the next few years as NIL and several other factors shake out. If WSU wants to remain athletic relevant they need to align with similar programs that value high level basketball over football to be position best once basketball is the straw stirring the drink in realignment.
                    If you're not going to go all the way, why go?

Comment

• I guess the answer is no. LoL

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                        Maybe now that everything is official, Aresco will start making some announcements.
                        Yup, Aresco is on the clock.

Comment

• Would we ever bolt to the MWC if others like Memphis, SMU, Gonzaga also went?

Would the shocks go to B12 if WSU and Creighton got an invite?

Just spitballin'.

Comment

• Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
                            Would we ever bolt to the MWC if others like Memphis, SMU, Gonzaga also went?

Would the shocks go to B12 if WSU and Creighton got an invite?

Just spitballin'.
                            My opinion:

At any point we would go if offered to: Big East, BXII, SEC, Pac 12, ACC, or Big 10. The P5 would just be a massive monetary windfall. Big East is the only one that is even slightly possible though. The other will never happen.

If Memphis and SMU leave? : MWC and A10 become better homes.
                            Last edited by Stickboy46; September 10, 2021, 10:35 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

My opinion:

At any point we would go if offered to: Big East, BXII, SEC, Pac 12, ACC, or Big 10. The P5 would just be a massive monetary windfall. Big East is the only one that is even slightly possible though. The other will never happen.

Agreed

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

My opinion:

This.

What is proving out is that WSU is on an island: middle of the country and with no football, but better basketball and Oly sports than other geographically sensible alternatives. We're at the mercy of everyone else, and if Memphis and SMU bolt, will have to take the best available offer, if an offer ever presents itself. The only value WSU brings to a conference is potential NCAA tournament credits. Our market, without football, isn't enough to move the needle for any conference other than the A10.

It sucks, but with recent developments, we may have to become beggars. Right now, even a Memphis and SMU departure wouldn't leave us in a worse situation than being in the MVC, but it's not far from it.

Comment

Working...
                                X