Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Shocker Net has changed from yesteryear in that instead of waiting for scrimmage analysis from some fans that showed up to give their impressions we now have the Eagle beat reporter giving us video high lights of practice. Gotta love it. Go Shocks. Also thank you TE

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
        Shocker Net has changed from yesteryear in that instead of waiting for scrimmage analysis from some fans that showed up to give their impressions we now have the Eagle beat reporter giving us video high lights of practice. Gotta love it. Go Shocks. Also thank you TE
        Our previous coach wouldn't allow that type of coverage because it gave too much scouting info to opponents. Not saying that either position is right or wrong, just noting the difference in approaches between the former and current coaches.

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Guess I should start a ‘This Year’ thread. It’s great to see this from our student athletes…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Shocker Net has changed from yesteryear in that instead of waiting for scrimmage analysis from some fans that showed up to give their impressions we now have the Eagle beat reporter giving us video high lights of practice. Gotta love it. Go Shocks. Also thank you TE
              I think there's a lot of good coverage Taylor provides, but he does a lot of cheerleading in his coverage...too much for my taste. If you read his Tweets/videos from yesterday, you'd think we were national title contenders.

Again, he's got some good analysis when it comes to film breakdown, but it's often shrouded in exaggerated praise for our players/coaches.
              "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

I think there's a lot of good coverage Taylor provides, but he does a lot of cheerleading in his coverage...too much for my taste. If you read his Tweets/videos from yesterday, you'd think we were national title contenders.

Again, he's got some good analysis when it comes to film breakdown, but it's often shrouded in exaggerated praise for our players/coaches.
                You're not wrong there. But I also don't fault Taylor for being positive in his approach. Those that read/follow him want positive news about the coming season and reasons to be optimistic.

Now, I wouldn't complain if we had reports that were maybe a little more honest or pointed out some flaws or whatever of players right now. The closest he came to that was commenting on Pohto's need to adjust to D1 speed and physicality. But that's also a generic comment made about just about every FR stepping up to D1.

I believe we used to get some of that from reports that were delivered by Cold, RDR and others. Though Cold has a tendency to exaggerate almost anything either way. But it gave us some things to talk about and discuss on both ends of the spectrum.
                Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                  Guess I should start a ‘This Year’ thread. It’s great to see this from our student athletes…

AWESOME!!!!!

Comment

He's probably been reading GoPOWERCAT.com and GoPHOGyourself.net for tips on sugarcoating...

But the Kool-Aid sure tastes good...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I’m not sure it’s fair to bust his chops for exaggeration while posting that sentence above.

Comment

• Let's revisit a little of history on the writing and commentating of the state of WSU sports. When Bob Lutz was the beat writer for the Shocks he wrote in an era of very bad sports in WSU history. Bob always told people that he was a journalist and not a cheer leader for the University. I didn't like the way he reported some of the time and was sometimes harsh in my opinion. He has been branded a horrible person/writer by many and those same folks brand him a hawk lover. Paul Sullentrop wrote glowingly of Shocker sports during his tenure as the beat writer and most loved his articles. Don't remember him being seen as being too critical in his reporting.. He parlayed that job into one with WSU sports. Good for him. Mike Kennedy has been labeled a homer for his analysis of the games and some wanted a more critical eye cast on games and his views. He is employed at the pleasure of WSU to a great extent but people still love him and will probably go down as THE greatest announcer for WSU sports of all time even supplanting the great Gus Grebe. Now some think they would like a more critical eye from our beat reporter. This is not going to happen. Taylor is employed by the Eagle to write about WSU sports. If he upsets large amounts of readers by being critical of those he writes about I'm pretty sure he will be looking elsewhere for employment. Looking at the most recent history of reporting on WSU sports the only one that cast a critical eye (and probably deservedly so) was Bob Lutz who even to this day gets maligned on this site whenever his name gets brought up. So I would suggest those that want a different view point as to the state of sports they need to get out and or encourage others to give us some live reports themselves no matter their expertise. Go Shocks

Comment

Let's revisit a little of history on the writing and commentating of the state of WSU sports. When Bob Lutz was the beat writer for the Shocks he wrote in an era of very bad sports in WSU history. Bob always told people that he was a journalist and not a cheer leader for the University. I didn't like the way he reported some of the time and was sometimes harsh in my opinion. He has been branded a horrible person/writer by many and those same folks brand him a hawk lover. Paul Sullentrop wrote glowingly of Shocker sports during his tenure as the beat writer and most loved his articles. Don't remember him being seen as being too critical in his reporting.. He parlayed that job into one with WSU sports. Good for him. Mike Kennedy has been labeled a homer for his analysis of the games and some wanted a more critical eye cast on games and his views. He is employed at the pleasure of WSU to a great extent but people still love him and will probably go down as THE greatest announcer for WSU sports of all time even supplanting the great Gus Grebe. Now some think they would like a more critical eye from our beat reporter. This is not going to happen. Taylor is employed by the Eagle to write about WSU sports. If he upsets large amounts of readers by being critical of those he writes about I'm pretty sure he will be looking elsewhere for employment. Looking at the most recent history of reporting on WSU sports the only one that cast a critical eye (and probably deservedly so) was Bob Lutz who even to this day gets maligned on this site whenever his name gets brought up. So I would suggest those that want a different view point as to the state of sports they need to get out and or encourage others to give us some live reports themselves no matter their expertise. Go Shocks
                          Spot on.
                          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

IMO your criticism of Taylor's coverage of the Shockers more accurately depicts the media's reporting of Beaker Basketball. Do you have the same distaste for the sport reporters covering the Beakers?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

IMO your criticism of Taylor's coverage of the Shockers more accurately depicts the media's reporting of Beaker Basketball. Do you have the same distaste for the sport reporters covering the Beakers?
                              Media coverage of KU basketball is probably #132,475 on the list of things I choose to spend my time reading/listening to, so no.

Comment

Let's revisit a little of history on the writing and commentating of the state of WSU sports. When Bob Lutz was the beat writer for the Shocks he wrote in an era of very bad sports in WSU history. Bob always told people that he was a journalist and not a cheer leader for the University. I didn't like the way he reported some of the time and was sometimes harsh in my opinion. He has been branded a horrible person/writer by many and those same folks brand him a hawk lover. Paul Sullentrop wrote glowingly of Shocker sports during his tenure as the beat writer and most loved his articles. Don't remember him being seen as being too critical in his reporting.. He parlayed that job into one with WSU sports. Good for him. Mike Kennedy has been labeled a homer for his analysis of the games and some wanted a more critical eye cast on games and his views. He is employed at the pleasure of WSU to a great extent but people still love him and will probably go down as THE greatest announcer for WSU sports of all time even supplanting the great Gus Grebe. Now some think they would like a more critical eye from our beat reporter. This is not going to happen. Taylor is employed by the Eagle to write about WSU sports. If he upsets large amounts of readers by being critical of those he writes about I'm pretty sure he will be looking elsewhere for employment. Looking at the most recent history of reporting on WSU sports the only one that cast a critical eye (and probably deservedly so) was Bob Lutz who even to this day gets maligned on this site whenever his name gets brought up. So I would suggest those that want a different view point as to the state of sports they need to get out and or encourage others to give us some live reports themselves no matter their expertise. Go Shocks
                                These are some pretty good points.

I agree that Taylor wouldn't have much of a job at the Eagle if he was constantly critical, but I just don't prefer to read coverage that is 99% positive as I don't approach WSU basketball that way.

Comment

Working...
                                X