No announcement yet.

2020-21 Games of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glad to see Kevin Sampson defending the AAC and telling it like it He said Fran Fricishilla is a mouth piece for the Big 12 and Dan Dakich is for the Big 10. Two pu$$ies that know how to suck up and get paid. This entire system is nothing but a scam to get power 5 conference teams into the tournament. The net is the tool they use to justify their lie.

Comment

• If the NET is a tool to justify a power 5 scam, then please explain the following nine teams that are, by virtue of their NET rating, solidly in the at-large range (and I won't even include Gonzaga):

5 - Houston
      13 - Loyola
      14 - Colgate
      21 - San Diego St
      30 - BYU
      31 - Drake
      36 - Boise St.
      38 - St. Bonaventure
      39 - VCU

Just for fun I looked into Colgate. They have a good record with a weak schedule, so why are they ranked so high (KenPom has them at just 103)? It turns out they have some damn good team statistics:

48.7% FG
      37.9% 3FG
      76.1 % FT
      17.1 Assists to 9.8 turnovers

All indications that they are playing well, which is exactly the thing we all used to lament that the RPI didn't take into consideration.

You can argue there are problems with the NET, and I will use Colgate as an example, but I don't see any evidence to justify P5 bias.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I don't understand a lot of these ranking systems but I was shocked to see Drake ranked 15th in NET considering with a SOS of 269 (307 in the non-conference). There is a problem with the NET if that is the case.
        Drake ranking is not surprising. Look at the NET components: Win %, NET Efficiency (similiar to KenPom) and TEAM Value (basically SOS)

1. They were maximizing the WIN % component
        2. There were handily beating all of their opponents thus maximizing the NET Efficiency Component
        3. Their weakness is TEAM value index

Unfortunately the NCAA has not been transparent in their NET formula or how these components are weighted together. But Drake took a big hit when they lost to a Q4 team. Another 1 or 2 losses and their NET will totally deflate (I think).

Comment

• Isn't the NET supposed to be used to evaluate a team's opponents, rather than the team itself? Drake got a high NET by beating the crap out of a bunch of really bad teams. Playing really bad teams also improves offensive and defensive stats.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
            Isn't the NET supposed to be used to evaluate a team's opponents, rather than the team itself? Drake got a high NET by beating the crap out of a bunch of really bad teams. Playing really bad teams also improves offensive and defensive stats.
            I thought that was KenPom
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by TheShocktocles View Post

Outstanding !!!!! A man that understands. For example because Kentucky won a championship in 2012 with a different team of players means that they should be ranked in the top 25 in 2020. Or the same with Duke who won in 2015. This is just bullsht. Some people can not see this preferential treatment for blue bloods, but a lot of people recognize it for what it is. Go Shocks.
              I'm a longhorn football fan, and even the fans here in Texas know this is the case for Texas in football. What they don't realize is the impact it has over the course of the season as they can drop a couple games and still be in the top 25 midsession. Where as a team that doesn't get the preseason glorification, loses a couple by midseason, and they have no hope.
              In other words, everyone knows it happens but most don't consider the consequences as the season rolls through the year.

Comment

• Watching Tex Tech v West Virg. A few tidbits. 4 offensive possessions in a row for Tech added up to a total of 1 pass. Whoever brought the ball down jacked it up. Nice!

Also. 6 big 12 teams ranked and no KU. Makes me smile a little.

Comment

• What has happened to Smart's Texas team? In the last 6 games, they've beaten no one else but K St, twice. However, tonight it was only by 3.

Comment

• Watching Texas Tech...Burton has been instructed not to shoot or been berated for shooting....he has no desire to look at the bucket. I begged for this a couple of years ago. But he actually shot decent last year.

Comment

• Will ******* and all the other holier-than-tho reporters who basically called fHCGM a POS for how he acted in Canada say the same thing about Chris Beard for how he got thrown out of the game tonight versus WVU?!

We all know the answer.

(For the record, I don’t have a problem with how either coach got thrown out, but I’m not as close to Jesus as a sports journalist is, so my opinion doesn’t matter)
                      The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post
                        Watching Tex Tech v West Virg. A few tidbits. 4 offensive possessions in a row for Tech added up to a total of 1 pass. Whoever brought the ball down jacked it up. Nice!
                        We must have been watching the same game. Made the same comment as we watched here. Very selfish basketball at times. WVa looks pretty solid - this WVa team can actually score baskets in bunches.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
                          Watching Texas Tech...Burton has been instructed not to shoot or been berated for shooting....he has no desire to look at the bucket. I begged for this a couple of years ago. But he actually shot decent last year.
                          Yet, he finished the game 3-4 / 1-1 / 1-2 for 8 points. Don't know how many minutes he played, but I'll guess around 20 or less.

Originally posted by JVShocker View Post

We must have been watching the same game. Made the same comment as we watched here. Very selfish basketball at times. WVa looks pretty solid - this WVa team can actually score baskets in bunches.
                          This is also interesting as TT had 15 assists to WV 9 and TT also had fewer TOs. WV was good shooting the 3 (7-14), but won the game at the line getting 29 points (35% of their total) to TT 14.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                            Will ******* and all the other holier-than-tho reporters who basically called fHCGM a POS for how he acted in Canada say the same thing about Chris Beard for how he got thrown out of the game tonight versus WVU?!

We all know the answer.

(For the record, I don’t have a problem with how either coach got thrown out, but I’m not as close to Jesus as a sports journalist is, so my opinion doesn’t matter)
                            I haven't been able to find the play that set him off, but based on his description of events I definitely get why he was upset. If things happened like he described, I'd be pretty pissed too.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I haven't been able to find the play that set him off, but based on his description of events I definitely get why he was upset. If things happened like he described, I'd be pretty pissed too.
                              Like I said, I have no problem with coaches getting pissed and thrown out.

Some reporters seemed to have a problem when it happened to fHCGM though.
                              The Assman

Comment

• Probably won't hold. But Ole Miss beating Mizzou at half 42-37
                                "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Working...
                                X