2020-21 AAC games/discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Based on what facts?? Sounds awfully speculative to me. I think the "experts" just assumed with the amount of transfers we had and the coaching change we couldn't be good and they just couldn't get that thought out of their mind. Throw in the Memphis bias, and you have a triggered Parrish.
    I’m willing to bet he’s basing it on the blowout loss at Memphis and poor numbers in KP and other predictive metrics.

Which is pretty thin evidence, IMO. One bad game and potentially faulty metrics in a COVID season?

Never mind the wins at Ole Miss and vs Houston, those don’t fit his narrative.

Yeah, the loss to Cincinnati was not good but are we the only team in America who is not allowed one single blemish? Houston lost to ECU and Memphis lost to Tulsa at home. Neither of those teams is ranked ahead of Cincinnati in the NET.

In fact, looking at Memphis schedule, it would seem that their lofty NET ranking (a whole 20 spots ahead of us, wowwwww) is thanks to a 17 point win over St Mary’s in the first game of the year.

Memphis had zero, zero, as in none, Q1 wins. Parrish wants to give Memphis more credit for two close losses against Houston than to WSU for actually beating Houston and Ole Miss.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I’m willing to bet he’s basing it on the blowout loss at Memphis and poor numbers in KP and other predictive metrics.

Which is pretty thin evidence, IMO. One bad game and potentially faulty metrics in a COVID season?

Never mind the wins at Ole Miss and vs Houston, those don’t fit his narrative.

Yeah, the loss to Cincinnati was not good but are we the only team in America who is not allowed one single blemish? Houston lost to ECU and Memphis lost to Tulsa at home. Neither of those teams is ranked ahead of Cincinnati in the NET.

In fact, looking at Memphis schedule, it would seem that their lofty NET ranking (a whole 20 spots ahead of us, wowwwww) is thanks to a 17 point win over St Mary’s in the first game of the year.

Memphis had zero, zero, as in none, Q1 wins. Parrish wants to give Memphis more credit for two close losses against Houston than to WSU for actually beating Houston and Ole Miss.
      Exactly. There is far more evidence for WSU being in the tournament and for being the second best team in the conference than for anything Memphis did. It certainly is funny how they can tout the Memphis win over WSU but completely fail to acknowledge their two losses to Tulsa or Houston's losses to ECU and Tulsa. There is nothing more factual than actual game results over the entire conference season.

Comment

Exactly. There is far more evidence for WSU being in the tournament and for being the second best team in the conference than for anything Memphis did. It certainly is funny how they can tout the Memphis win over WSU but completely fail to acknowledge their two losses to Tulsa or Houston's losses to ECU and Tulsa. There is nothing more factual than actual game results over the entire conference season.
        While also simultaneously claiming that it's not fair to use the Houston game to decide Houston is better than them "because they didn't get their chance at home" while also saying beating WSU at home is their end all be all of why they are better than WSU

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

I'm not sure grad transfers fall under the same rule since they've technically graduated from their school.
          UConn basketball transfer Alterique Gilbert to Wichita State | The Wichita Eagle (kansas.com)

UConn is leaving the American Athletic Conference, so Gilbert avoids the intra-conference transfer rule and can play immediately for the Shockers in the 2020-21 season. Gilbert’s recruitment was spearheaded by assistant Tyson Waterman, and he picked the Shockers over interest from Florida, Texas Tech, Arkansas, Georgia and Cincinnati, among others..........

Comment

Based on what facts?? Sounds awfully speculative to me. I think the "experts" just assumed with the amount of transfers we had and the coaching change we couldn't be good and they just couldn't get that thought out of their mind. Throw in the Memphis bias, and you have a triggered Parrish.
            I think he was probably right. Generally they base this on Ken Pom. We definitely would have been dogs to Houston and Memphis. I am not sure about SMU.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post

I think he was probably right. Generally they base this on Ken Pom. We definitely would have been dogs to Houston and Memphis. I am not sure about SMU.
              Well, the metrics are flawed then, particularly in the case of Memphis. I am sure about SMU. We should never have been a dog to a team that hadn't played in what a month?? Nonsense. There is nothing "right" about saying WSU was the fourth best team in the league. Total and utter BS.

Comment

• The butthurt in NITphis is large. They’ve been irrelevant in the NCAAs for a while now and Penny’s National Championships aren’t panning out as planned.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• In the head-to-head matchup in Memphis they did kick the Shocks ass. Although Memphis declined the opportunity for a return game in Wichita if my understanding is correct. In this year of the totally unbalanced Covid impacted schedules Memphis and WSU only had 8 other AAC teams that they each played in the same venue (home or way). In those 8 games Memphis went 5-3. The Shocks went 7-1. Combined Memphis outscored those 8 opponents 517-476 for and average margin of +5.1. The Shockers outscored those opponents 612-553 for am average margin of +7.4.

Memphis played 6 other conference games that WSU did not play. @ECU, SMU, @SMU, ECU, @Cincy and UCF. Memphis went 5-1 in those games only losing @ SMU.

Wichita State played 5 other conference games that Memphis did not play. Cincy, @UCF, Houston, and Temple. The Shocks went 4-0 in those games.

Memphis played 7 non-conference games going 4-3 and the Shocks played 4 non-conference games going 2-2. The difference being the Memphis was able to play in the Crossover Classic in South Dakota and the Shocks were not. Memphis went 1-2 in the tournament beating St. Mary's and losing to Western Kentucky and VCU. In it's other 4 non-con games Memphis went 3-1 beating Arkansas State, Central Arkansas and Mississippi Valley State. Those 3 teams finished the season at a combined 14-54. Memphis lost to Auburn in Atlanta in a close game. Memphis also had a game at Ole Miss cancelled.

The Shocks lost to Okie State and Mizzou and beat ORU and Ole Miss in the D-1 Non-con games. I'm ignoring the Shocks 2 D-1 opponents.

WarrenNolan.com reports the Shocks non-con SOS (albeit a very small sample size) at #13 and Memphis at #193.

WarrenNolan.com reports the Shocks overall SOS at #37 and Memphis at #79.

The Shocks signature win was over Houston (NET #5) at home and Memphis' signature win was over SMU (NET #65) at home.

WarrenNolan.com reports the Shocks NET at #72 and Memphis at #52. I wonder if beating the crap out of Arkansas State, Central Arkansas and Mississippi Valley State (dead last in the NET at #347) had anything to do with that. Those 3 games certainly had a lot to do with Memphis' non-conference SOS.

I suppose either team could probably cherry pick the pieces they think makes their case but it certainly is far from clear cut that Memphis was more deserving than Wichita State as Mr. Parrish seems to believe.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    I suppose either team could probably cherry pick the pieces they think makes their case but it certainly is far from clear cut that Memphis was more deserving than Wichita State as Mr. Parrish seems to believe.
                    He doesn't think that Memphis is more deserving of a bid than WSU. He thinks Memphis is a better team (and I agree). His homerism is certainly more evident in his mocking of WSU's "fake" AAC title.
                    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• I was super impressed with Saunders. Seems like there is something going on in Cinci. Cumberland recently said Brannen needed to go and now his own guys are leaving.

Comment

• Originally posted by SkoShox View Post

I was super impressed with Saunders. Seems like there is something going on in Cinci. Cumberland recently said Brannen needed to go and now his own guys are leaving.
                        Yea .. I don't know if Brannens seat is hot after just this year since COVID and all and since they won a share of the Championship last year, but he better land some good recruits because things aren't looking like they are swinging the right direction.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Yea .. I don't know if Brannens seat is hot after just this year since COVID and all and since they won a share of the Championship last year, but he better land some good recruits because things aren't looking like they are swinging the right direction.
                          DeJulius opted out then back in, so this theory seems to have some legs.
                          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• I’d take Saunders

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              I’d take Saunders
                              I’d take Sanders or Collins from USF. Doesn’t sound like it’s possible due to the inter conference transfer rule people are posting about but there’s always an exception to the rule.

Comment

• So will ******* go lurking around Cincinnati players trying to dig up dirt on them now?

Comment

Working...
                                X