Clear All

• Stickboy46
    replied

USF losing Collins as a grad transfer.

Leave a comment:

• ShockTalk
    replied
    Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Name the regular season champ the auto bid and there's no reason for other teams to even go to the conference tournament. What the hell would they be playing for? Why the hell would fans make the trip if there's no light at the end of that tunnel? Why would ESPN want to broadcast games that mean absolutely nothing?

Why would the AAC have made that decision while Houston was in 1st place? Using your logic, at the time that decision had to be made, it would have been a dumbass call by the conference.
    OK. You convinced me.

Leave a comment:

• Kel Varnsen
    replied
    I think there was also the risk that Houston won the league outright. If that happened, WSU and Memphis would know they had to win the tournament.

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

That would be a dumb move by the AAC or any conference.
    Agreed. Its a Catch 22. The conferences that would really benefit are the one bid leagues that end up sending someone that got hot for a game rather than their best team. They also are the ones that need the extra revenue the most.

Leave a comment:

• MikeKennedyRulZ
    replied
    Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Yes they can. Every conference has the ability to choose who gets the AQ. Most just want to hold the tourney .. its a $$$ thing.

The NCAA sent out guidance that they just needed to know by Feb 26th this year.
    That would be a dumb move by the AAC or any conference.

Leave a comment:

• Stickboy46
    replied
    Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
    I don't think the conference could even do that?? Lol. They can't just arbitrarily decide that the regular season champ is the AQ. I guess unless they decide to cancel the tourney. Asinine thing to do.
    Yes they can. Every conference has the ability to choose who gets the AQ. Most just want to hold the tourney .. its a $$$ thing.

The NCAA sent out guidance that they just needed to know by Feb 26th this year.

Leave a comment:

• MikeKennedyRulZ
    replied
    I don't think the conference could even do that?? Lol. They can't just arbitrarily decide that the regular season champ is the AQ. I guess unless they decide to cancel the tourney. Asinine thing to do.

Leave a comment:

• SubGod22
    replied
    Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

One can play war games, but I think the best odds for 2 or 3 was to name the regular season champion. We've won 7 in a row already. We will need to make that 9 to assure a spot. Memphis may have already had their best chance to beat Houston. Houston didn't get the season title. They will badly want the tournament title.
    Name the regular season champ the auto bid and there's no reason for other teams to even go to the conference tournament. What the hell would they be playing for? Why the hell would fans make the trip if there's no light at the end of that tunnel? Why would ESPN want to broadcast games that mean absolutely nothing?

Why would the AAC have made that decision while Houston was in 1st place? Using your logic, at the time that decision had to be made, it would have been a dumbass call by the conference.

Leave a comment:

• pie n eye
    replied

One can play war games, but I think the best odds for 2 or 3 was to name the regular season champion. We've won 7 in a row already. We will need to make that 9 to assure a spot. Memphis may have already had their best chance to beat Houston. Houston didn't get the season title. They will badly want the tournament title.
    I only meant that if specific scenario mentioned occurred - WSU vs Memphis in the final - that the AAC would definitely get two bids because Houston is in regardless and whoever won the champ game would also be in.

I’m with you on whether or not that scenario plays out. There are no guarantees because I don’t think Temple and SMU are guaranteed wins by any means. We should beat them if we’re locked in but Temple seems to always play us close so who knows. SMU is a wild card. We know they’re a good team but they haven’t played in over a month.

Memphis vs Houston rematch might be the game of the tourney. I don’t think the close matchup was a fluke, Memphis is a good team capable of beating Houston.

Leave a comment:

• ShockTalk
    replied
    Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

If we play Memphis in the championship I bet you 10k that the American gets at least two teams in the NCAA.

Leave a comment:

• pie n eye
    replied

Also the best way to only get 1.
    If we play Memphis in the championship I bet you 10k that the American gets at least two teams in the NCAA.

Leave a comment:

• ShockTalk
    replied
    Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post
    The best chance for the AAC to get 3 teams dancing is for us the play Memphis for the championship.
    Also the best way to only get 1.

Leave a comment:

• ShockTalk
    replied
    Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Yes.

So, they went with hoping Houston gets upset in the tourney to be able to assure 2 teams. Guess I question the logic at the time the decision needed to be made. Houston was in, lose the regular season, lose in the conference tourney. Best avenue to get not only 2, but possibly 3 in, IMHO, was to have the regular season title winner the AQ. Thanks for the vote of confidence AAC.

Leave a comment:

• wichshock65
    replied
    The best chance for the AAC to get 3 teams dancing is for us the play Memphis for the championship.

Leave a comment:

• wichshock65
    replied

Sorry if I missed it, but did the AAC announce that the winner of the tournament gets the AQ?
    Yes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X