No announcement yet.

Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think it's completely reasonable some people still have a healthy dose of skepticism with IB. However, I think we can all agree that things are trending in the right direction. Still lots of season left (hopefully).

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
      I think it's completely reasonable some people still have a healthy dose of skepticism with IB. However, I think we can all agree that things are trending in the right direction. Still lots of season left (hopefully).
      Should be a "Certificate of Achievement" (participation ribbon) awarded for getting over half the conference schedule played prior to the conference tourney.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by ROOT ANGRY! View Post
        Fogler was the first "at this level" coach.
        You got that right.

The term hadn't even been coined yet, but it described Fogler (intuitively), while he was walking the sidelines of Henry Levitt. Seriously bad body language; maybe as bad as E. Stevenson?
        Last edited by ShockingButTrue; January 15, 2021, 05:24 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
          Look at it another way- should we be battling the likes of Illinois State for a head coach?
          No, because it'll be more the Ill. State taking a hard look at Brown. He's starting to get national press.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

yes, and IB having to mold a bunch of new players together is very different than Gary Thompson and Kevin Ollie inheriting national powerhouses.
            Especially since Brown had what, 2 weeks to implement his vision before WSU's first game? It's not like we're talking 6 or 8 months.

Really excited to see what Brown can accomplish after 3 1/2 months of running the show (say, mid February). Houston appears to be the measuring stick.
            Last edited by ShockingButTrue; January 15, 2021, 04:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
              I think if Brown is named HCIB that the staff stays the same. Assistants are on one-year contracts, so they'd have to find another school looking for assistants, work for a new boss, work with different players. It's so much easier to stay in the current situation.

I think Kennedy would stick around if the $$ were right - more than the $80K or so he's getting now, but < $200K. That's bargain basement $$ for a successful high-level D1 coach on the bench. Only my opinion (guess), but maybe he doesn't want the responsibilities of a HC with his medical condition, but can be effective working with a coach where he has some long-term connections.

Gudino might want to rejoin Jans. Waterman has been a better than expected recruiter. Kennedy certainly has some recruiting chops. If Gudino leaves, the Shox could (I said COULD) take a shot on an unknown with great BBIQ and NBA experience. Ron Baker comes to mind.

I believe I have just clearly demonstrated why I contribute my ideas to message boards instead of contributing my ideas to athletic departments. Baker might be better as a grad assistant and get his Masters in Sports Admin that way.
              You should email the AD.
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I think Kennedy would stick around if the $$ were right - more than the $80K or so he's getting now, but < $200K. [/B]
                Kennedy is being payed $6,896.55 bi-weekly + benefits. That converts to a yearly salary $179,310.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

Kennedy is being payed $6,896.55 bi-weekly + benefits. That converts to a yearly salary $179,310.

https://openrecords.wichita.edu/inde...TB_iframe=true
                  That's probably as much or more than IB has made in the past. As IHC, IB's salary may have picked up a little.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThomasKosich View Post
                    I am very impressed after watching this team grow and mature over the first 10 games and very impressed with Isaac Brown
                    Refreshing to watch him coach, he is under control and motivates without berating kids non stop during the game

Loved the results of GM and think he is one hell of a coach but his behavior (and wife’s) became untenable over the last few years

The Shockers have a long way to go but I am pulling for IB to make it really hard to say goodbye
                    Welcome to the board Thomas.
                    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

I think if Brown is named HCIB that the staff stays the same. Assistants are on one-year contracts, so they'd have to find another school looking for assistants, work for a new boss, work with different players. It's so much easier to stay in the current situation.

I think Kennedy would stick around if the $$ were right - more than the $80K or so he's getting now, but < $200K. That's bargain basement $$ for a successful high-level D1 coach on the bench. Only my opinion (guess), but maybe he doesn't want the responsibilities of a HC with his medical condition, but can be effective working with a coach where he has some long-term connections.

Gudino might want to rejoin Jans. Waterman has been a better than expected recruiter. Kennedy certainly has some recruiting chops. If Gudino leaves, the Shox could (I said COULD) take a shot on an unknown with great BBIQ and NBA experience. Ron Baker comes to mind.

I believe I have just clearly demonstrated why I contribute my ideas to message boards instead of contributing my ideas to athletic departments. Baker might be better as a grad assistant and get his Masters in Sports Admin that way.
                      I think this all sounds spot on. I believe most Assistants want to move on; do they believe they have a better chance of doing so under a HCIB or someone else? the exception is Kennedy; he doesn't need any resume padding by studying under another coach. Right now he gets to coach without all the other BS; I hope that's appealing enough to keep him on the sidelines.

Is Gudino's contribution more towards BBIQ than recruiting?

Comment

• Isaac Brown's base salary for the 2020-2021 year (6/14/2020 - 6/12/2021) is $210,000. The amount can be found in the Appointment Notices pdf at https://openrecords.wichita.edu/view...log/entry/870/ which has basically all the salaries for anyone in the athletic department not a head coach. The link also has the contracts of the head coaches at the time.

A lot of media members have been trying since November to find out if Brown's amount has changed but either it hasn't or they're not asking the right question. For example, Taylor Eldridge put in as part of a request for "2. A copy of any new contract signed by interim men’s basketball head coach Isaac Brown and Wichita State in November 2020" and the response was "With regard to your second request, the University does not have any documents responsive to your request."

The latest request was from USA Today - https://openrecords.wichita.edu/view...og/entry/1200/ - and WSU's response was "Current base salary records relating to the University’s current interim men’s basketball head coach, as well as the full-time assistant coaches, are available online in the University’s Open Records Request Log (see requests #870 and 1098)." The 870 is the one mentioned above with the Appointment Notices and the 1098 is the one with Billy Kennedy's contract. The university did release to USA Today a couple statements showing 1) any money Brown received from endorsements or camps, and 2) a reduction in Brown's salary of 1 weeks worth of pay in June (Gudino had a reduction as well and Lamb did too - Lamb's is in the #870 request batch and mentioned a reduction due to the pandemic).
                        Last edited by Ted Lasso's Neighbor; January 15, 2021, 01:34 PM.
                        Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

https://openrecords.wichita.edu/inde...TB_iframe=true
                          He's not on contract for a full year, so we got him for a lot cheaper than his annualized salary.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Here's the possible kicker. Billy Kennedy has a strong relationship with Boatright too. Boatright either coached with him or for him. It may be that Kennedy is someone he trusts to give him a good report on how IB is doing, and whether he has the "chops" for a fulltime head coaching gig at this level.

I'm not saying that anyone's evaluation is fool proof, but it would be good info.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                              Here's the possible kicker. Billy Kennedy has a strong relationship with Boatright too. Boatright either coached with him or for him. It may be that Kennedy is someone he trusts to give him a good report on how IB is doing, and whether he has the "chops" for a fulltime head coaching gig at this level.

I'm not saying that anyone's evaluation is fool proof, but it would be good info.
                              I know there are some Boatright "haters" on this board; how does this idea set with them and the possibility he may fall due to fHCGM's situation?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Welcome to the board Thomas.
                                I just have a hunch his name isn’t Thomas.

Comment

Working...
                                X