Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

"It is rare that a job can be so set up for success, but that is exactly the case with Wichita. They should have a diverse talent pool to choose from, and any background of coach should find a way to make things work"

Very positive article overall.
    He doesn't do a great job of "breaking down" the guys who might fit though. I guess the writer said "type of coach", but I just figured there would be some names attached. Rats.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
      I'm not sold on AG due to his lack of D1 coaching experience. I envision P. Hardaway minus 3 or 5 McDonald's AA's.

Can anyone come up with a list of NBA coaches who have moved down to the D1 level with no prior experience, in any form, and had success? He'd be breaking the mold if he could encounter positive results. It's a different game with a whole lot less talent.
      I think one big difference between Griffin and Hardaway is that Griffin was an undrafted guy. He knows how to maximize talent, he did so in his personal career and as a coach. In that way, he's like Fred. He's not someone who has ever coasted on talent (no offense to Hardaway), and I don't think his coaching strategy would rely on scouring a talent bed like Memphis and getting a bunch of McDonald's All-Americans.

Penny was a National Player of the Year his senior year at Treadwell High, sat out a year at college for being academically ineligible, Player of the Year finalist his junior year at Memphis, and 3rd overall draft pick. He then played 13 years for 4 teams in the NBA as a 4x All-Star. Griffin was a solid high school player, but he wasn't seen as a top 50 prospect. He went a full four years at Seton Hall and got second team All Big-East his senior year. He went undrafted, played abroad for 3 years, and managed a workman's 12 year career in the NBA topping out as a starter for the Mavericks when they went to the Finals in 2006.

The latter resume may not be as attractive for a player, but to me it suggests a better fit for a coach. It is also worth noting that Griffin spent all his time as an assistant, and not as a shooting coach or front-office guy. Mark Price is the head coach of Charlotte but was mostly a shooting coach. Chris Mullin of St. John's never spent any time on the sidelines in the NBA. Eric Musselman of Arkansas (previously Nevada) is one guy that did mostly come from a coaching background (first job at 24), and was a legitimately coach for Nevada ("No coach in Nevada basketball history has done a better job of getting everything out of the talent on the roster. It might be the best coaching job in Wolf Pack hoops history."). Musselman did need to get his feet wet as an assistant first though.

Basically, to have it work I my theory is that you need someone that spent a lot of time on the sidelines and that wasn't just a star player. In fact, the more traditionally talented they were, I think the harder they'll find transitioning to coaching. I suspect that's true just as a generic rule. Most of the best CBB coaches weren't great players in their day. There is hardly an All-American among the roster of the elite.

Personally, the ideal scenario is bringing Griffin in for a year but that could be a very hostile environment having two coaches compete for the head spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Fred Hoiberg, and Eric Musselman aren't coming here after just finding jobs that are equal to us and just beginning a year or two ago. Bobby Hurley sounds good and may be interested as ASU isn't a basketball hotbed and second in the state. Where is Dan Majerle at right now, because Bryce Drew is now at GCU. Lastly D'Antonio isn't that impressive to me for several reasons (mainly age). imo, Tad Boyle ranks as high as any of these and I can see him viewing this program as on the rise and maybe a small step up. We have had quite a bit of NCAA success recently and Colorado hasn't had that for a long time.
        Those weren't candidates for the WSU coaching position. I was responding to someone who asked for examples of NBA coaches / assistants who have successfully transitioned to college coaching.

Comment

• Look at plenty of college football powers who have the eyes, $$$, facilities, history, etc. to be a HUGE success but have yet to replace a legendary coach who either was fired or retired. Would fans of Nebraska or Tennessee be happy with the results that have had this past decade or so? (Michigan, Norte Dame, Penn State are others who come to mind; a few good years, but nothing close to what they’ve experienced in the past).

Sure WSU could very well keep the train rolling. They may even have a few great years here and there. To expect it will have no hiccups though or that there will be no decline would require everything to go PERFECT.
          The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
            The good thing about this season is that we can kick the tires on IB, so to speak, and see him in action in what some could consider an exhibition season.

Unless, of course we win the national championship or something crazy, in which case, there is no asterisk at all. It's 100% legit.
            The only caveat here is what potential HC would we miss out on because of waiting a year. Maybe not as big a deal this season, given the CoVid circumstances.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
              Look at plenty of college football powers who have the eyes, $$$, facilities, history, etc. to be a HUGE success but have yet to replace a legendary coach who either was fired or retired. Would fans of Nebraska or Tennessee be happy with the results that have had this past decade or so? (Michigan, Norte Dame, Penn State are others who come to mind; a few good years, but nothing close to what they’ve experienced in the past).

Sure WSU could very well keep the train rolling. They may even have a few great years here and there. To expect it will have no hiccups though or that there will be no decline would require everything to go PERFECT.
              Does anyone expect a future coach to not have hiccups? Hell, Marshall had hiccups and he's still the greatest coach we've ever had.

I continue to believe that we should be a top 25 team more often than not. A top 40 program almost always. I believed that's what we could be during Turgeon, even if he didn't, and I believe it still.

No matter who takes over after this season, be it Brown or someone else, there could very well be a few rough years during the transition. That's not unexpected. But we should maintain our high expectations no matter who is leading the program and if someone fails, we move on. The support is here. The money is here. The opportunity is here.
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post

The only caveat here is what potential HC would we miss out on because of waiting a year. Maybe not as big a deal this season, given the CoVid circumstances.
                That is my concern as well. But which active head coach is going to take the job this close to the season starting and ditch their team? I'm not sure which schools cancelled their season, so that would be a group available. Matta or Beilein ain't happening.

I don't think we should wait a year if there is someone who can come in now, and that's who we want. My fear is that we ride the season out with IB and get lulled into a sense that he's the answer. We should definitely be interviewing guys today and be prepared to move.

"When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post

If we can land a home run hire ... we do it now. That list is very small.

Most coaches won't leave their teams 1 week before the season.... so you kick the tires ... get a handshake (virtual of course .. COVID and all) agreement in place, then announce it in April.

Comment

"It is rare that a job can be so set up for success, but that is exactly the case with Wichita. They should have a diverse talent pool to choose from, and any background of coach should find a way to make things work"

Very positive article overall.
                    The author does make some assumptions that may or may not be true moving forward, such as:

One very notable fact is that Wichita State has a huge basketball budget. At Wichita State you have influential and deep pocketed boosters, such as Koch family, who take care of the program at a high level.

Comment

If we can land a home run hire ... we do it now. That list is very small.

Most coaches won't leave their teams 1 week before the season.... so you kick the tires ... get a handshake (virtual of course .. COVID and all) agreement in place, then announce it in April.
                      I really hope this is the way things are moving right now. Let's get into the ears of three to five guys they really like and see what happens. Maybe someone wants to make a jump at the end of the season and is willing to commit to it right now...for next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                        I can't believe Eck is on anyone's list, unless it is Steve Eck's.
                        We and a couple others are old enough to have danced this dance before. That was, simply bizarre.
                        “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

i respectfully disagree. Overrated movie.
                          Welcome back.

Comment

• I am of the opinion that if we want to have a prayer at maintaining our program at the current level, we need to be shopping in markets that require an offering starting salary of $2.5M.

If we go back to the $1.25M level, we'll be gambing. We could still do well, but if we truly are at "another level" we should be plucking star Mid-Major coaches who already make a million from places like the Valley, the A-10, or the Big Priest.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

The author does make some assumptions that may or may not be true moving forward, such as:

That article read like it was written by a child.

Comment

• Don't shoot the messenger...

Pitino - Won't happen. Too much baggage.
                                Keller - Too unproven
                                Lindsted - See Keller
                                Beilen - Maybe if interested
                                Matta - Already said he has no interest

Comment

Working...
                                X