Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wooglin View Post

I believe you have contradicted yourself in your post. You disagree with Taylor Eldridge's assessment, then follow it up with evidence supporting his case with your example of JB and GS. His statement is neither a slight to one coach or a compliment to the other, but his opinion of how the offense flows. I also believe the offense is more free flowing. Its a different roster, of course the offense will be executed in a different way. As the season progresses, it will be interesting to see if this type of offense continues to flow or morphs into something else.
    My statement regarding JB and GS was to back up my point that it wasn’t a difference in coaching philosophy or strategy that caused a lack of dribble drives but a difference in personnel.

I then highlighted prior teams to illustrate that when we had guys who were either more willing or able to drive, we did it a lot and that was when Marshall was the coach.

I agree he is not saying it as a slight or kudos to either coach but I still disagree with the opinion.

Comment

• I am very impressed after watching this team grow and mature over the first 10 games and very impressed with Isaac Brown
      Refreshing to watch him coach, he is under control and motivates without berating kids non stop during the game

Loved the results of GM and think he is one hell of a coach but his behavior (and wife’s) became untenable over the last few years

The Shockers have a long way to go but I am pulling for IB to make it really hard to say goodbye

Comment

• Tom, I looked up at the 3 NCAA tournament banners from 1985 to 1989 and thought of you.

Comment

• It's still early, but the Shox are looking like an NCAA team. There are opportunities to get Evansville'd, but this team seems to have the mental toughness to avoid that. If Brown can take this team to the NCAA tourney, with all the turmoil that's gone on, he's going to deserve serious consideration for removing "interim" from his title.

To counter the argument that he has no head coaching experience, he's got a respectable head coach with a lot of experience sitting on the sidelines with him. A big indicator will be how many players enter the portal at the end of the season. Players entering the portal would likely occur before a coaching hire would be confirmed.

I'm still a Jans fan, but the conversation is changing from "can we get you here" to "why should you be here".
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Don't know if Brown is actively recruiting or having his staff do so, but if he's interested in getting the job (and he has stated that's not his main concern right now) it might serve him well to be actively recruiting big men right now rather than potentially leaving the program with 0 big men on the radar, or the roster, for next year.

His mentor said that if one skips shaving, even for one day, they won't get asked to the Big Dance by the hot Chick.

For the record I think he's doing a hell of a job.
            Last edited by ShockingButTrue; January 11, 2021, 02:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
              Don't know if Brown is actively recruiting or having his staff do so, but if he's interested in getting the job (and he has stated that's not his main concern right now) it might serve him well to be actively recruiting big men right now rather than potentially leaving the program with 0 big men on the radar, or the roster, for next year.

His mentor said that if one skips shaving, even for one day, they won't get asked to the Big Dance by the hot Chick.
              It's impossible for Brown to recruit in the current situation. "Hi, I'd like for you to come here and play for a coach to be named later" is not an effective recruiting strategy. He can be making contacts with coaches of bigs, but it's pointless to actually recruit.

Our previous coach knew about the situation with the bigs over a year ago and could only land one big (Seymour) who can't sniff the court. It's going to be harder now with 3 bigs in front of any recruit. Those bigs are two Soph's and a Fr for eligibility. That's not an attractive returning roster for getting a big to sign.

IB (or any new hire) is not in a position to not renew any schollies. There are 4 guys 6'8" or taller on the roster in the Fr and So classes. We're going to have to make do with what we've got for next year and probably the year after that.
              Last edited by Aargh; January 11, 2021, 02:45 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

It's impossible for Brown to recruit in the current situation. "Hi, I'd like for you to come here and play for a coach to be named later" is not an effective recruiting strategy. He can be making contacts with coaches of bigs, but it's pointless to actually recruit.

Our previous coach knew about the situation with the bigs over a year ago and could only land one big (Seymour) who can't sniff the court. It's going to be harder now with 3 bigs in front of any recruit. Those bigs are two Soph's and a Fr for eligibility. That's not an attractive returning roster for getting a big to sign.

IB (or any new hire) is not in a position to not renew any schollies. There are 4 guys 6'8" or taller on the roster in the Fr and So classes. We're going to have to make do with what we've got for next year and probably the year after that.
                We all know of our dearth of bigs' is not Brown's fault, but him making a concerted effort to fix it would go a long way whether he politic's for the job or not, because it's the right thing to do, for the sake of WSU basketball. No?

And what makes you think there's gonna' be "a coach to be named later?" He could just as well say "you can be the difference in winning the AAC next year instead of finishing 2nd." Don't be so negative arghh.

Last edited by ShockingButTrue; January 11, 2021, 03:02 AM.

Comment

• If Isaac Brown gets the job full time in the spring it likely means we had a pretty good year. If we had a pretty good year it’s probably less likely we will see a bunch of transfers and so open scholarships will be limited.

Gilbert and Trey Wade are the most likely to leave because they’re seniors but even that is not a guarantee. Neither is what I would consider a big man anyway.

In the above scenario my guess is we end up with 2-4 scholarships to fill next year.

Like money in the banana stand, there are always players looking to transfer from other teams, not just WSU. I imagine a year like this, where no eligibility is spent, will be no different. If anything we might see more transfers. Not to mention some high schoolers may decide to look elsewhere depending on which seniors return to their chosen school.

Point is, it’s an unprecedented year. We are in the enviable position that our team, class wise, is stable and isn’t likely to change much next year if IB remains Coach.

The coaching staff went out and replaced a large number of players last year on a moments notice. They have a better feel for where these guys are at and what they might do than any of us brain geniuses on Shockernet. Finding 2-4 guys in what is likely going to be an off-season of upheaval for all of college basketball doesn’t worry me too much especially if we’re bringing most of the team back.

I’m also more confident the present and future of our big men. Oh, and if Brown doesn’t get the job then all bets are off. Who knows what will happen in that case.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

We all know of our dearth of bigs' is not Brown's fault, but him making a concerted effort to fix it would go a long way whether he politic's for the job or not, because it's the right thing to do, for the sake of WSU basketball. No?

And what makes you think there's gonna' be "a coach to be named later?" He could just as well say "you can be the difference in winning the AAC next year instead of finishing 2nd." Don't be so negative arghh.

Brown was directly involved with bringing back MU. I remember GM saying last spring when MU was considering coming back (and not going to another school) that MU was in communication with Morris and basically re-recruiting him. I'm not sure beyond that if we were going after other Bigs or not, but IB obviously had input into the process. Another thing, is that IB was the Assistant who was charged with coaching the Bigs so he probably knew them best.

I still hope that our coaches aren't totally giving up on recruiting Bigs and other players because if IB is hired long term (and I would think if he isn't hired, IB wants to have a job until he is hired away and a new coach wants to keep at least a staff member or two if they want good players to return), we for sure are going to need a player or two. A Big for sure, and maybe a guard. Who knows if Trevin, Chaunce, and Seymore are unhappy because of their lack of playing time, and aren't willing to be patient. Trevin should be playing next year, but that doesn't mean he starts. Maybe he thinks he needs more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Making sure I understand your post. MU and IPBC are juniors, JoB is a redshirt freshman, and Seymore is a freshman. There is 2 years difference.

MU and IPBC have 1 or 2 more years. JoB and Seymore have 3 or 4 more years. This is due to this being a "throw away" year.

Comment

• Trey and Gilbert leaving or staying is probably 100% determined by their pro contract options. Gilbert is already in grad school so he has the incentive of finishing his graduate degree on the school's dime.

Comment

• My gut tells me no way AG stays and it is a toss up on Trey, but all of that can change.

Comment

• FHCGM could do really well running (in addition to the $7.5 mil he is making) a business as a player evaluator and selling his service to the other coaches. He can spot talent or intangibles when no one else seems to be able to and I have never seen any coach anywhere do better in the late signing period. Granted, assistants usually identify targets, but he is the final word on them.

Comment

• I'm leaning toward getting whichever coach will ensure ETN and RCIV stay is who I want. If IB stays on the course we are on now, then he is the leader in the clubhouse. I still say Jans or AG will move me off that stance. I'm open to others that are slam dunks, but if we are looking at Assts or low major HCs, I don't see them as any better than IB.

But my main concern is wanting to see Tyson and Ricky making sweet music together in Shocker uniforms until they decide its time to get paid.
                              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Making sure I understand your post. MU and IPBC are juniors, JoB is a redshirt freshman, and Seymore is a freshman. There is 2 years difference.

MU and IPBC have 1 or 2 more years. JoB and Seymore have 3 or 4 more years. This is due to this being a "throw away" year.
                                With players not using eligibility this year, Udeze and Poor Bear both have two years of eligibility remaining after this year. For eligibility purposes this year, their actual Jr. year, doesn't count. Next year will, effectively, be their Jr. years. Bilau has 4 years of eligibility after this year, but there is no classification below Fr.

Comment

Working...
                                X