Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

FIFY
    You obviously weren’t at the meeting with Tom Devlin, Bob Geist, Charles Koch, the Barton’s, the Devlin’s and others who struck the contract deal. WSU athletic administrators were hardly the deal makers. You don’t know what you are talking about.

Comment

• I know it was a bad contract

Comment

I know it was a bad contract
        I'm confident the choice was a bad contract or lose Marshall. Either that or Marshall bluffed and won. Marshall DEFINITELY dictated the terms of that contract.

If Boatwright had refused to sign the bad contract and Marshall had left, it would have been REALLY ugly with fans. I don't care for employees who use "I'm good, give me everything I want or I'm leaving". I think that is kind of chicken ****. There's a difference between earning a raise and demanding one.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

I'm confident the choice was a bad contract or lose Marshall. Either that or Marshall bluffed and won. Marshall DEFINITELY dictated the terms of that contract.

If Boatwright had refused to sign the bad contract and Marshall had left, it would have been REALLY ugly with fans. I don't care for employees who use "I'm good, give me everything I want or I'm leaving". I think that is kind of chicken ****. There's a difference between earning a raise and demanding one.
          You are confident but really have no idea. Please stop

Comment

I know it was a bad contract
            Maybe. But you couldn’t foresee everything. So you are saying that you Sexton (who I’m not a fan of) would have told CK, BG, Craig Barton, the Devlin’s, etc. that ( “hey guys you’re thinking to big for WSU” because we want to stay in the Valley and not have big goals) they could not pay the contract of a coach who had just won a F4. Those same people were funding the indoor baseball field, coming Athletic track Complex, Eck Stadium, etc. Your funny Pin and wouldn’t be a good administrator if you have goals to be in the AAC, and keep Bardo happy. You would definitely have the Shockers forever on the same level as Drake if we are lucky. For sure we’d be back in the 1990s. One thing you need to learn about Wichita businessmen. They have lofty goals for Wichita and think big. Even back in the 90s, they were pushing. Some AD’s only lasted one year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

s

I don't give opinions on Marshall, if he should have been fired, or anything within those perameters. That said, I'm a bit confused by this post. This is exactly how every contract I've been involved with has been drawn up. Even buying houses is the same. I present my price, my demands and my deal breakers. The other side presents their demands. If there isn't a meeting of the minds, there isn't a meeting of the minds and nobody enters into the contract. Nobody wants to pay too much and nobody wants to leave money on the table. Pretty much a microcosm of free market supply and demand. The contract may have favored Marshall, but it wasn't a bad contract, just Marshall monetizing his worth and the school attempting to guarantee their winning program into the future and avoid a coaching carousel.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                s

I don't give opinions on Marshall, if he should have been fired, or anything within those perameters. That said, I'm a bit confused by this post. This is exactly how every contract I've been involved with has been drawn up. Even buying houses is the same. I present my price, my demands and my deal breakers. The other side presents their demands. If there isn't a meeting of the minds, there isn't a meeting of the minds and nobody enters into the contract. Nobody wants to pay too much and nobody wants to leave money on the table. Pretty much a microcosm of free market supply and demand. The contract may have favored Marshall, but it wasn't a bad contract, just Marshall monetizing his worth and the school attempting to guarantee their winning program into the future and avoid a coaching carousel.
                Bingo! That’s the way it works in my world also...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

s

That's the way it works in my world too. First house I bought I got a new roof. Second house I bought, I covered the construction loan for 6 months after I agreed to a sales price from the builder. When it took that long to get a closing, I wrote the sales contract and deducted 6 months of construction loans from the contract purchase price.

that's not comparable to an employment contract. "Give me this, or I'll back out of buying the house" is a lot different than "give me this, or I will quit and you will be hated by the people who pay your salary".
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• A few things about the contract:

- it was signed in September 2015, and so you have to remember how things were back then. WSU went to the final four in March Madness 2013, had the undefeated season and a #1 seed in 2014 and Marshall was named national coach of the year, and in 2015 beat KU and went to the Sweet 16. Any school would try to retain their coach after those 3 years of success and any head coach and their agent would have a lot of negotiating power.

- most of the terms of Marshall's contract were pretty standard among highly paid coaches. There's a lawyer who has written quite a few good articles on coaches contracts by the name of Martin Greenberg. If you have the time, here are a couple really good articles regarding what usually goes into negotiations and typically what are in coaches contracts - https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/148695637.pdf and https://law.marquette.edu/assets/spo...llover-art.pdf The 2nd one talks about rolling contracts and even mentions Marshall's contracts use of it.

- all of the contracts of the head coaches can be found online in case one wants to compare them - https://openrecords.wichita.edu/view...log/entry/870/ Chris Lamb has a contract very similar to Marshall's, with the main exception being the dollar amount. If you didn't like Marshall's contract, then you won't like Lamb's either. The rest of the head coaches have contracts with specific ending dates vs the rolling type used for Marshall and Lamb.

- all of Marshall's contracts can be found at https://openrecords.wichita.edu/view...log/entry/838/ and the one prior to the 2015 contact is one signed in 2011 (there were a couple amendments in later years). Other than the dollar amounts, there's not a lot of difference between the 2011 and 2015 contract.

On a side note, here's the link to the article mentioned in the thread about some universities in KS maybe dropping some majors - https://www.kansas.com/news/local/ed...247959900.html
                    Last edited by Ted Lasso's Neighbor; December 28, 2020, 01:35 AM.
                    Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Maybe. But you couldn’t foresee everything. So you are saying that you Sexton (who I’m not a fan of) would have told CK, BG, Craig Barton, the Devlin’s, etc. that ( “hey guys you’re thinking to big for WSU” because we want to stay in the Valley and not have big goals) they could not pay the contract of a coach who had just won a F4. Those same people were funding the indoor baseball field, coming Athletic track Complex, Eck Stadium, etc. Your funny Pin and wouldn’t be a good administrator if you have goals to be in the AAC, and keep Bardo happy. You would definitely have the Shockers forever on the same level as Drake if we are lucky. For sure we’d be back in the 1990s. One thing you need to learn about Wichita businessmen. They have lofty goals for Wichita and think big. Even back in the 90s, they were pushing. Some AD’s only lasted one year.
                      I woulda told him to walk, but like you say, you can't foresee everything.

Comment

I woulda told him to walk, but like you say, you can't foresee everything.
                        You may know Great Bend but you sure don't know Wichita and the power structure around it.

Comment

s

This...

Comment

• Haaaa! John Calipari is not getting fired.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                              Haaaa! John Calipari is not getting fired.
                              Probably not, if for nothing else, his buyout is way too high... Even for UK. But..... its getting really restless in BBN.
                              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

I don't think that's crazy, but I don't wanna get into that constant, one and done, rinse repeat, thing
                                Why not? I would love to have multiple top recruits yearly even if for only 1 year.

Comment

Working...
                                X