Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

If WSU brings in Chris Jans, I don't think Isaac Brown will be replacing Chris Jans when he retires. For one thing, Isaac and Chris or both 51 years old. Isaac is 25 days younger than Chris. So not sure why Jans would be ready to turn over the reins to Issac in 5-7 years unless he is taking another job somewhere. In any case, if Isaac is not good enough to lead the Shocker program now after 20 years in coaching I don't think another 5-7 years will make that much difference. Assuming Coach Brown has aspirations to be a head coach I would not expect him to be around that much longer if he does not get the WSU gig.

While I am pulling for Coach Brown 100% he is only 8 games (excluding the D2 practice games) into the season. The Shocks have done pretty well at 5-3 and have not been totally out of any of their games. The teams has some holes and some weaknesses but they also seem to have a collective desire to win. Perhaps that is just very good team chemistry. Coach Brown deserves a lot of credit for that especially coming off of last year's turmoil plus the issues Covid has wrought on be able to practice and field a full roster. 16 games to go assuming they all get played. If the Shocks duplicate the results of the first 8 games they will finish the regular season at 15-9 (13-7 in AAC play). Is that good enough? Might come down to have the team performs in the AAC Tournament and beyond, if there are any games beyond that. If the Shocks advance to the NCAA Tournament I don't see how you don't give him a shot.

I think this is a team that is capable of winning any of their 16 remaining regulars season games. It is also capable of losing any of their 16 remaining games. As others have mentioned we will have a much better idea where this team and this Coach stand after the next 8 games.
    I think it is fair to point out that while he helped to recruit some of these kids, THIS assembly was not his....he may be 'playing' with pieces that don't fit his groove...

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

He's just stating reality. This is obviously a unique season for a multitude of crazy circumstances. I'd rather have IBs focus on this season than wasting time on a hypothetical recruiting trail. One of two things will happen:

IB will become permanent coach in which case he'll land better recruits after the interim tag is removed.

Someone else is named HC in which case I'd rather that individual bring in their own players.
      My bigger point (beyond recruiting) was in reference to the mind-set that just expects that Brown is gone and we're gonna' bring in C. Jans (ain't happening) is the kind of thinking that will screw this program up. I don't trust the people that engineered banishing the former coach to now turn around and make an A+ hire. If they screw up and hire the wrong guy (it's possible) it will effect recruiting, already dormant for a year. I'd hate to see it turn in to 2 years.

There's nothing wrong with Brown, maybe on his off time, to contact potential recruits, and let them know that whatever happens Wichita State is a good campus to attend for a young adult and the fan support is second to none in the country. It was Brown, after all, that stated, as related by the Houston game announcers, all he wants to do is what's best for the program. I hope that didn't mean "except for maintaining contact with recruits."
      Last edited by ShockingButTrue; January 12, 2021, 01:11 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

My bigger point (beyond recruiting) was in reference the mind-set that just expects that Brown is gone and we're gonna' bring in C. Jans (ain't happening) is the kind of thinking that will screw this program up. I don't trust the people that engineered banishing the former coach to now turn around and make an A+ hire. If they screw up and hire the wrong guy (it's possible) it will effect recruiting, already dormant for a year. I'd hate to see it turn in to 2 years.
        I agree with you on the Coach Brown stuff. The dismissive attitude some on this board have towards him shows an inability or unwillingness to recognize what he’s done so far this season and the progress of the team so far under his leadership.

That’s not to say I’m on board with just handing him the job yet. If I were in charge I would be doing my due diligence on all potential options during the season so that when the time comes, which is when the final game is played, I can make the best decision possible based on the information gathered.

I also find the attitude of “Jans (ain’t happening)” just as puzzling.
        Last edited by pie n eye; January 13, 2021, 08:56 AM.

Comment

• Just want to leave this out there...…

Literally NO ONE would have wanted the mess that IB was thrust into......NO ONE.

Comment

• Comment

• This basketball season is his initial interview...

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                  This basketball season is his initial interview...
                  That's what i was thinking ... not sure why we would even officially "interview" him if we are going to hire him unless it's a compliance thing. We aren't going to find out anything in that interview that we don't already know about him after 7 years.

Comment

• Does anyone know the status on Bill Kennedy? If Brown were hired would he stay or is he only here for the "Interim" year? I would think his experienced guidance is extremely valuable. How does one evaluate the 2020-2021 contributions of each to the whole?

Comment

• Everyone knows that regardless who gets the HC job next year we are behind in recruiting. This should NOT be the focus on who gets the job. Get the best candidate we can and start building/rebuilding as needed.

Comment

• If Jans expresses interest the job is his. Case closed.

Has anyone heard or seen, on record, where Jans has sited such interest in the last 5+ years, or even the last 5+ weeks? I haven't. Of course, that doesn't mean WSU won't reach out.

Comment

If Jans expresses interest the job is his. Case closed.

Has anyone heard or seen, on record, where Jans has sited such interest in the last 5+ years, or even the last 5+ weeks? I haven't.
                          Very rarely if ever will a coach with a current college job cite on record any interest in another schools job.

Comment

If Jans expresses interest the job is his. Case closed.

Has anyone heard or seen, on record, where Jans has sited such interest, in the last 5+ years, or even the last 5+ weeks? I haven't.
                            Why would he have done either of those things?

Until about 2 months ago Gregg Marshall was our head coach and looked likely to be here for many years to come.

Jans is currently the coach at NMSU. Surely you don’t expect him to publicly lobby for the job. That would be a pretty bad look IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Very rarely if ever will a coach with a current college job cite on record any interest in another schools job.
                              Yes. We all knew he hasn't. It was rhetorical. My guess is just as accurate as yours as to who the new coach will be. Maybe we'll get Beilein. His name has been mentioned.

Do I want Jans? Yes. Do I think we'll get Jans? I have no reason to think we will. There, however, are reasons to site (position) why we won't. I'm not here to get into an argument over semantics of "will he or won't he," when the facts point more towards one direction than the other in this particular case.
                              Last edited by ShockingButTrue; January 12, 2021, 03:04 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by atlwsu View Post
                                Does anyone know the status on Bill Kennedy? If Brown were hired would he stay or is he only here for the "Interim" year? I would think his experienced guidance is extremely valuable. How does one evaluate the 2020-2021 contributions of each to the whole?
                                Kennedy contract runs through June 21, 2021. He is being payed $6,896.55 every two weeks. They have given him a car and temporary housing.

Comment

Working...
                                X