Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Very very unlikely it's WSU. But if it is .. would be a big first step for Isaac if he was able to smooth that over.
    I’m guessing KU
    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
      What you are looking for is “move on”.
      Yea .. that's a better phrase.

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyShock View Post

Fair assessment, but I have a hunch Coach Brown may be the next Jans/Forbes. If so, then it should be worth giving him a chance to learn the ropes as a head coach.
        I think that's the point; I'd hope we are a program beyond a place to "learn the ropes."

Comment

• I can't believe Eck is on anyone's list, unless it is Steve Eck's.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post

I think that's the point; I'd hope we are a program beyond a place to "learn the ropes."
            Whenever you take a new role, and you have to perform tasks you didn't have to before, there are always ropes to learn. Now, if he was trained well, that learning will come quickly, but there will always be a few missteps regardless.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

I’m guessing KU
              Tulsa unfortunately.

...stay woke America

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
                Griffin is an interesting prospect, but I'm always hesitant about someone with zero college coaching experience. Also leery about someone who's biggest selling point is that they have a talented kid.
                Griffin's biggest selling point is that he is the most trusted assistant coach from a top-notch NBA organization, not Adrian Griffin Jr. The son would be icing on the cake. Adrian Griffin Sr. also, technically, has the highest winning percentage in NBA history as head coach. He's a top candidate for the Bulls and Thunder jobs. And as somewhat a student of the game, I am absolutely confident that the Raptors and the Celtics have by far the best modern Xs and Os approach to the game. They throw dozens of different defensive schemes out, have sensible rotations, manage players decently, and have shown great ability to react and make changes. An example of what I'm talking about.

And while it IS a completely different position with vastly varying responsibilities, NBA assistants have done decent at the college level. Bill Self and John Calipari were both assistants in the NBA. Though other names aren't as hot: Juwan Howard (Michigan), Penny Hardaway (Memphis), Jerry Stackhouse (Vanderbilt), and Danny Manning all had NBA assistant jigs.

Comment

• Originally posted by t7017s View Post
                  If our relationship with GGG comes to an end my list is...

1) Jans
                  2) Jans
                  3) Jans
                  4) Jans
                  5) Jans

Throw the kitchen sink at him. The guy is a top 10 college coach imo (however you want to define that - X & O's, development, evaluation, scouting, etc..., etc... etc...).
                  First things first... Agree with the Doc 110% - sad, sad day for everyone in Wichita. If you truly hold the black and yellow close to your heart, this is one of the darkest WSU days since the NCAA probation period. Yes, I've been around that long to vividly recall.

Now... moving forward...
                  Here is hoping that CJ keeps his cell phone battery on full charge at all hours of the day.

Can IB ready the ship through the current troubled waters?
                  Sure hope so and seems like a great guy.
                  Having LG with him helps as both know their stuff and the personnel.

But really moving forward and keeping the program on the front page of national relativity...
                  Contact between the representatives needs to happen (If it hasn't already?) and a deal needs to get done.
                  CJ would be the equivalent of plug and play...

That is all.
                  Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Very very unlikely it's WSU. But if it is .. would be a big first step for Isaac if he was able to smooth that over.
                    Pretty quick turnaround to opening back up, then announcing a different school though, no? If the assistants are the catalyst for recruits, perhaps keeping IB for now keeps his commitment.

Maybe just me wishing.
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post

Griffin's biggest selling point is that he is the most trusted assistant coach from a top-notch NBA organization, not Adrian Griffin Jr. The son would be icing on the cake. Adrian Griffin Sr. also, technically, has the highest winning percentage in NBA history as head coach. He's a top candidate for the Bulls and Thunder jobs. And as somewhat a student of the game, I am absolutely confident that the Raptors and the Celtics have by far the best modern Xs and Os approach to the game. They throw dozens of different defensive schemes out, have sensible rotations, manage players decently, and have shown great ability to react and make changes. An example of what I'm talking about.

And while it IS a completely different position with vastly varying responsibilities, NBA assistants have done decent at the college level. Bill Self and John Calipari were both assistants in the NBA. Though other names aren't as hot: Juwan Howard (Michigan), Penny Hardaway (Memphis), Jerry Stackhouse (Vanderbilt), and Danny Manning all had NBA assistant jigs.
                      This!! I don't think a lot of people understand just how well viewed AG is in NBA circles. He has been interviewed for several NBA head coaching jobs and it is thought that he will be an NBA head coach sooner than later. He would absolutely not be a Penny Hardaway. He has actual high level coaching experience and is thought of as a good X's and O's guy.

Comment

• I think an NBA assistant with the experience of AG would be just fine at the college level. And as for recruiting, he knows as well as anyone the driving factors of kids, as he has one that is/was going through it. He can relate. For some reason, I think he would bring the juice to WSU and build upon where we are now.
                        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

Pretty quick turnaround to opening back up, then announcing a different school though, no? If the assistants are the catalyst for recruits, perhaps keeping IB for now keeps his commitment.

Maybe just me wishing.
                          Timing seems awfully conspicuous. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Comment

• Oof, before someone corrects me, I apparently thought Dean Smith's KU team was the Spurs. Bill Self wasn't an assistant coach, Calipari has been both types of coaches in the NBA. I was thinking about Self, Popovich, and Calipari all being assistants at KU around 1985-1986.

But yeah, my point was that Griffin is viewed in really high regard in NBA circles that don't think about his kid at all. Definitely not viewed at all like Penny or someone like Ewing, which definitely are seen more as players than coaches. His allegations need to be 100% cleared up, but it doesn't look like NBA teams are giving them any credence. If this were earlier in the year and we could still successfully transition, he'd be the guy I'd want leading the team.

But I think it is important to let Brown have his year-long interview. I'm rooting for him to succeed, and there is literally no way we could have brought on somebody that could do a better job given the immediate proximity of the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                              Obvious and interesting names are Jans and Forbes.

Adrian Griffin is intriguing.

Outside of the box is LeVelle Moton.

Will be interesting to see how Coach Brown does this year.
                              Good to see you back on the board again.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                                I think an NBA assistant with the experience of AG would be just fine at the college level. And as for recruiting, he knows as well as anyone the driving factors of kids, as he has one that is/was going through it. He can relate. For some reason, I think he would bring the juice to WSU and build upon where we are now.
                                True. I hadn't thought of this. He actually has gone through the recruiting process twice. His oldest son Alan played two years at Illinois and recently transferred to Syracuse. Was a three star prospect out of HS and averaged 8.9 ppg last season off the bench as a Sophomore.

Comment

Working...
                                X