No announcement yet.

Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kentucky lost to Robert Morris first round of the NIT during their “rebuilding” year and they even had NBA players on that roster.

Comment

• I don't know if this will help keep things on topic regarding this thread, but I went ahead and created a new thread called The Measurement of Success. For those who want to discuss how the program has been doing and if it's been successful or not, regardless of how you come to conclusion, please consider posting in the other thread instead. I'm just getting tired of seeing there's a new post in this thread and then finding it has nothing to do with the main topic. Thanks.
      Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
        Marshall's career as a D1 coach is IMO a classic example of the Peter Principle, in the hierarchical world of D1 MBB Marshall rose (MVC to AAC) to his level of incompetence as his coaching skills were lacking when he was required to routinely compete with coaches/schools that possessed similar or superior resources he enjoyed at WSU.
        You post some pretty stupid **** on a regular basis. But this one even tops some of your most asinine comments.
        I know you've been blowing the Furman HC for the next WSU HC position.
        Ok, so you admire him.
        But claiming that HCGM is incompetent and has no coaching skills is direct evidence that you have zero knowledge of the game.
        Really... go back and read what you posted.
        That is some the dumbest bullshit every posted on this site.

That is all.
        Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

You post some pretty stupid **** on a regular basis. But this one even tops some of your most asinine comments.
          Ok, so you admire him.
          But claiming that HCGM is incompetent and has no coaching skills is direct evidence that you have zero knowledge of the game.

That is all.
          Right. Marshall never had access to +4* players on a regular basis until the move to the American. He tried to apply his model to a higher level recruit and found that the egos were much more difficult to control when they had been showered with those accolades. This class was a return to the roots and we likely won’t be able to see the fruit.

TLDR: Marshall learned that he needs to play his game instead of getting into recruiting battles for players that don’t fit his style.
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Marshall's career as a D1 coach is IMO a classic example of the Peter Principle, in the hierarchical world of D1 MBB Marshall rose (MVC to AAC) to his level of incompetence as his coaching skills were lacking when he was required to routinely compete with coaches/schools that possessed similar or superior resources he enjoyed at WSU.
            dpost2.jpg

Congrats on the award 76.

You should celebrate by going back to the ole' cabin

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
              You have set the bar for stupidity. Congrats!
              I think our previous exchanges have clearly established you as the poster who "...set the bar for stupidity."

Comment

• Gotta admit I'm intrigued by the Adrian Griffin head coach idea. What if...and this is a big what if...but should Marshall not be our head coach moving forward.....could we promote Coach Brown as interim coach this year and also hire Adrian Griffin this year simply to bring him on board and get him on the sidelines familiarizing himself to the team this coming season...with the intention of him becoming head coach next year and implementing his system for the next season.

Coach Griffin could get a sense of the program and learn a bit of the Marshall coaching style by working with Brown this season perhaps adding to what his coaching knowledge currently is.

Then next year if Brown doesn't get a D-1 offer somewhere else...and he and Griffin work well together...have them switch places and give Coach Brown a nice pay raise to be Griffin's lead assistant.

Perhaps we'd even get a 5-Star out of the deal to go along with all our other studs. We would then have an NBA experienced assistant coach becoming our head coach (from Wichita no less) and perhaps not miss much of beat in the winning column this year while snagging future higjly rated recruits who would want to come play for Coach Griffin. Thoughts???
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                #3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                #2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                  Gotta admit I'm intrigued by the Adrian Griffin head coach idea. What if...and this is a big what if...but should Marshall not be our head coach moving forward.....could we promote Coach Brown as interim coach this year and also hire Adrian Griffin this year simply to bring him on board and get him on the sidelines familiarizing himself to the team this coming season...with the intention of him becoming head coach next year and implementing his system for the next season.

Coach Griffin could get a sense of the program and learn a bit of the Marshall coaching style by working with Brown this season perhaps adding to what his coaching knowledge currently is.

Then next year if Brown doesn't get a D-1 offer somewhere else...and he and Griffin work well together...have them switch places and give Coach Brown a nice pay raise to be Griffin's lead assistant.

Perhaps we'd even get a 5-Star out of the deal to go along with all our other studs. We would then have an NBA experienced assistant coach becoming our head coach (from Wichita no less) and perhaps not miss much of beat in the winning column this year while snagging future higjly rated recruits who would want to come play for Coach Griffin. Thoughts???
                  Just make griffin the head coach
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• [QUOTE=AZ Shocker;n1259880]Gotta admit I'm intrigued by the Adrian Griffin head coach idea. What if...and this is a big what if...but should Marshall not be our head coach moving forward.....could we promote Coach Brown as interim coach this year and also hire Adrian Griffin this year simply to bring him on board and get him on the sidelines familiarizing himself to the team this coming season...with the intention of him becoming head coach next year and implementing his system for the next season.

[/https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2904537-raptors-adrian-griffin-responds-to-allegations-of-abuse-from-ex-wife-audrey.amp.html

I’m not sure that is a very good idea unless his ex wife’s allegations are proved a lie.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

Ok, so you admire him.

That is all.
                      How familiar are you with Laurence Peters' research? Have you read/studied Hull's book on Peters' research? Familiarize yourself with the research and you might better understand the point I was making. For your information:

1. Marshall's record in the Valley of Mediocrity is admirable. As Shockernetters know he took over from Turg in 2007-08 and finished the season 4-14 in the Valley. Within four years (2010-11) Marshall had the Shockers finishing the Valley season 14-4 and winning the NIT. The undefeated season (2013-14) was a real feather in his cap; as was the four year run of Valley records of 18-0, 17-1, 16-2 and 17-1. Clearly a remarkable seven year run that all Shocker fans enjoyed.

2. In 2017 the Shockers made a hierarchical move from the Valley of Mediocrity to the American Athletic Conference with what many sports writers and fans thought was the best roster of players Marshall had assembled. In fact, AP Sportswriters ranked the Shockers as high as #3 in November of 2017 with much speculation in the lay press and on this board that the Shockers could win the National Championship. Marshall's performance in the AAC
                      • season records of 14-4, 10-8 and 11-7 are not consistent with the aforementioned final seven year run in the Valley of Mediocrity.
                      • Kelvin Sampson,(Houston Coach) appears to own Marshall, giving the Shockers some of the most embarrassing losses in their history
                      • Shockers have yet to approach winning a League Championship or the AAC Tournament
                      Ask yourself, "Does this data indicate that Marshall is competent to compete and win the AAC?" IMO he is not which is why I have posted I hope he retires at age 60 and enables WSU to recruit a young coach with the skill set, experience and potential to make the Shockers competitive in the AAC and the NCAA Tournament. Yes I identified Bob Richey as such a young coach but have posted that he has no interest in moving to Wichita. IMO if the Shockers could hire him he has the potential to produce a MBB program that could match or exceed Marshall's performance in the Valley of Mediocrity.

I would suggest you "Really... go back and read what you posted. That is some the dumbest bullshit every posted on this site."

Comment

• Sex with a teenage ball girl for the Raptors? Those allegations by the ex are pretty bad. Maybe we can get that guy Evansville fired.
                        Last edited by Shocker Mama; November 14, 2020, 05:25 PM.

Comment

• Is Adrian Griffin gonna be our Penny Hardaway? Speaking of Dirty Penny, does he still work for Memphis?

Comment

How familiar are you with Laurence Peters' research? Have you read/studied Hull's book on Peters' research? Familiarize yourself with the research and you might better understand the point I was making. For your information:

1. Marshall's record in the Valley of Mediocrity is admirable. As Shockernetters know he took over from Turg in 2007-08 and finished the season 4-14 in the Valley. Within four years (2010-11) Marshall had the Shockers finishing the Valley season 14-4 and winning the NIT. The undefeated season (2013-14) was a real feather in his cap; as was the four year run of Valley records of 18-0, 17-1, 16-2 and 17-1. Clearly a remarkable seven year run that all Shocker fans enjoyed.

2. In 2017 the Shockers made a hierarchical move from the Valley of Mediocrity to the American Athletic Conference with what many sports writers and fans thought was the best roster of players Marshall had assembled. In fact, AP Sportswriters ranked the Shockers as high as #3 in November of 2017 with much speculation in the lay press and on this board that the Shockers could win the National Championship. Marshall's performance in the AAC
                            • season records of 14-4, 10-8 and 11-7 are not consistent with the aforementioned final seven year run in the Valley of Mediocrity.
                            • Kelvin Sampson,(Houston Coach) appears to own Marshall, giving the Shockers some of the most embarrassing losses in their history
                            • Shockers have yet to approach winning a League Championship or the AAC Tournament
                            Ask yourself, "Does this data indicate that Marshall is competent to compete and win the AAC?" IMO he is not which is why I have posted I hope he retires at age 60 and enables WSU to recruit a young coach with the skill set, experience and potential to make the Shockers competitive in the AAC and the NCAA Tournament. Yes I identified Bob Richey as such a young coach but have posted that he has no interest in moving to Wichita. IMO if the Shockers could hire him he has the potential to produce a MBB program that could match or exceed Marshall's performance in the Valley of Mediocrity.

I would suggest you "Really... go back and read what you posted. That is some the dumbest bullshit every posted on this site."
                            I don't know if Marshall has reached his "level of incompetence", but the Peter Principle is absolutely in play... as it is in every competitive scenario.

I offered a very similar hypothesis the very first year he arrived at our school. I said that his main advantage throughout his career at Winthrop was that he was able to recruit a higher level of athlete than what is typical in the Big South. Then he just ran other teams into the ground until they broke and then proceeded to step on their throat. After Marshall's first year I said his success at WSU would be determined upon whether or not he can recruit a higher level athlete than the average MVC athlete and gain again, that physical advantage. History shows that he did. Now, in the AAC can he do the same? I say no. So his coaching ability is going to have to evolve or he's going to have to try and squeeze even more out of the players he gets. I think he's tried the squeeze harder part already, and now if he manages to survive at WSU, he's going to have to squeeze even less. So yeah, Marshall has to evolve some to get where he wants in the AAC or he's reached his "level of incompetence".

Comment

• Could Adrian Griffin get his 5-star son to de-commit from Duke? Probably not, but I can dream lol

Comment

• This whole "abuse" situation made me think of an interaction I had with Coach Heir after watching a particularly violent summer scrimmage. I was like, "how do you get these guys to try and kill each other in the middle of the summer in an empty gym???" He just grinned and said nothing.

I knew it had to do with a level of ritualized aggression in practice. It's a dangerous strategy unless EVERYBODY buys in and feels part of the "abused" family. This is where the softer assistant coaches are necessary to help with the mental boo boos and reassure the wounded player that "Coach Marshall knows what he's doing and he's just trying to make you the best you can be."

Without this dialogue continually being reinforced, Marshall is just an overbearing asshole.

Comment

Working...
                                X