Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
    So on sports daily they basically said that didn’t know where all these “rumors” of candidates was coming from because they were being led to believe that the current staff would lead the program for his season and in the spring the coaching would be settled.
    So they have heard coach is gone? Did they say who told them?

Comment

• I never wanted to see Coach Marshall go, but we can find someone to keep the momentum, and keep us winning. There are lots of available coaches who can keep us in the conversation of championships, and relevant in recruiting. I'm figuring that we have 5 months to get it figured out. As long as we don't try the Kevin Stallings route, I believe that we won't drop off. If Nebraska is a sh!+ storm again, maybe we can throw 3.5 million at Hoiberg. A championship caliber job here is way closer than at Cornhole U, and I don't think he's the type of guy that takes too kindly to losing for very long. Top of the AAC vs. cellar of the B10 isn't a drop off.
      jus sayin...there are options, and thanks to GGG's years here, we bring enough to the table to be taken seriously by anybody looking.
      Stay hopeful, my friends, the Shox will survive.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocknroll33 View Post
        I never wanted to see Coach Marshall go, but we can find someone to keep the momentum, and keep us winning. There are lots of available coaches who can keep us in the conversation of championships, and relevant in recruiting. I'm figuring that we have 5 months to get it figured out. As long as we don't try the Kevin Stallings route, I believe that we won't drop off. If Nebraska is a sh!+ storm again, maybe we can throw 3.5 million at Hoiberg. A championship caliber job here is way closer than at Cornhole U, and I don't think he's the type of guy that takes too kindly to losing for very long. Top of the AAC vs. cellar of the B10 isn't a drop off.
        jus sayin...there are options, and thanks to GGG's years here, we bring enough to the table to be taken seriously by anybody looking.
        Stay hopeful, my friends, the Shox will survive.
        Hell, The Top of the AAC is competitive with the top of every conference out there. Have you seen who is playing for Memphis.
        Gregg Marshall has had the Shox competitive with the tops of all the other conferences.
        This is not a minor move if it’s made.

Comment

• Shocks have a McDonald's AA suiting up this year and 2 highly regarded Juco perimiter players coming in with him.

Let Brown coach the squad this year, just for the sake of continuity, and the appearance of some much needed sanity.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
            Shocks have a McDonald's AA suiting up this year and 2 highly regarded Juco perimiter players coming in with him.

Let Brown coach the squad this year, just for the sake of continuity, and the appearance of some much needed sanity.
            While I don't disagree, my fear with this is that we end up with the "Romeo Crennel effect" and the kids all fall in love with the guy and play well for about 10 games and then the guy runs out of answers.

Comment

• Originally posted by GreatWhiteBuffalo View Post

While I don't disagree, my fear with this is that we end up with the "Romeo Crennel effect" and the kids all fall in love with the guy and play well for about 10 games and then the guy runs out of answers.
              Sure, I understand.

But I would rather we go forward with Brown as an interim with the hopes of keeping a McDonald's AA, 2 stud juco's and keeping Tyson in the fold vs. losing 4 (or even 3) of those outstanding guards plus ending up with Drake's coach (Darian DeVries) as the new coach in a season that has already started. You'd be guaranteed your 10 win prognostication.

It's just the timing of this whole debacle that causes me to lose faith in the people who are making the decisions. I have a nagging feeling the people who would know how to handle this, and that would be the AD and his staff, are not being consulted. Talking about a flamin' PR disaster...

Comment

Sure, I understand.

But I would rather we go forward with Brown as an interim with the hopes of keeping a McDonald's AA, 2 stud juco's and keeping Tyson in the fold vs. losing 4 (or even 3) of those outstanding guards plus ending up with Drake's coach (Darian DeVries) as the new coach in a season that has already started. You'd be guaranteed your 10 win prognostication.

It's just the timing of this whole debacle that causes me to lose faith in the people who are making the decisions. I have a nagging feeling the people who would know how to handle this, and that would be the AD and his staff, are not being consulted. Talking about a flamin' PR disaster...
                Keeping the players you mentioned if Gregg is not coach will be nigh impossible no matter who the coach is.
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I'm thinking Griffin would be the hire if the current assistants would stick with him. Brown might do that, but he'd be looking for a HC gig every year. Use Brown as the interim this year and bring in Griffin after the season is over.

Griffin has so much hype to offer current players and recruits - NBA champion coach - plays an NBA-style game. The FVV connection is already strong with guards considering WSU. Griffin would solidify that thinking. FVV's endorsement would be an immediate recruiting bonus.

If Griffin had to put together an entirely new staff, that would be a problem. He doesn't have connections in college coaching ranks. If 2 of the 3 assistants would stay, I think it would work. Waterman might be upset, but he might see WSU as his best option even with Marshall gone.

Bring a guy from the NBA and keeping the guys who recruited the current players - I think we're in good shape.
                  Last edited by Aargh; November 12, 2020, 04:17 AM.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                    Keeping the players you mentioned if Gregg is not coach will be nigh impossible no matter who the coach is.
                    I trust Rashard's endorsement of Brown (as an interim) due to the timing and reality of the situation, but he could be the first one to bolt the way things are looking now.

The decision makers hopefully have the brains to do a thorough and smart search.
                    Last edited by ShockingButTrue; November 12, 2020, 05:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post
                      Throwing my name out there, I coached a mean 8 year old team
                      Yes but what was your record? Would Danny Ainge give you a reference?
                      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

I trust Rashard's endorsement of Brown (as an interim) due to the timing and reality of the situation, but he could be the first one to bolt the way things are looking now.

The decision makers hopefully have the brains to do a thorough and smart search.
                        Do you think Brown or any of the other assistant coaches are going to resign from their current six figure annual salary positions in Wichita without first having a new coaching job lined up?

Comment

• The asst coaches are running the program right now. There's no way they turn their backs on these kids that they recruited. I can guarantee they are doing everything they can to keep these kids focused and positive through all this.

Comment

• Someone just sent me an article indicating that we may be interested in Thad Matta should a position open up.

I don't want Marshall to leave, but if the job opened up, he might be worthy of consideration. A10 experience (Xavier) played a little in the Valley (Southern Ill.) and won 3 B10 championships at Ohio State (info was sourced from Peegs).

Anybody but Danny Manning!

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post
                              Someone just sent me an article indicating that we may be interested in Thad Matta should a position open up.

I don't want Marshall to leave, but if the job opened up, he might be worthy of consideration. A10 experience (Xavier) played a little in the Valley (Southern Ill.) and won 3 B10 championships at Ohio State.

I get it’s hard to follow along with so many posts but you’re about two days behind on this one.

And he won five big ten reg season champs.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post
                                Someone just sent me an article indicating that we may be interested in Thad Matta should a position open up.

I don't want Marshall to leave, but if the job opened up, he might be worthy of consideration. A10 experience (Xavier) played a little in the Valley (Southern Ill.) and won 3 B10 championships at Ohio State (info was sourced from Peegs).

I hear Biden is odds on favorite to take over the white house.

Comment

Working...
                                X