Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
    Well if we want to pay a coach $500,000 dollars, we could afford one right now. Here was an editorial in the newspaper from one of the largest Shocker donors and one of the biggest reasons he receives 3.5 Million dollars right now. Just go half way down the page. It doesn't really matter what many on here think unless we want to pay what Southwest Missouri State pays their coach.

https://eedition.kansas.com/ccidist-...3stic#/pages/9
    You might want to summarize, I doubt most have subscriptions to the e-edition of the eagle.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I'm not sure you stated in there ... What is your definition of "Substantial more proof"? If Rauno stated under oath to the law firm it happened along with chirping on twitter is that enough? There were supposedly 5 corroborating reports to both ******* and Taylor. If all 5 stated under oath to the law firm that they saw it, is that enough? Or from your statements is there no form of evidence that overrules the 5 year time gap?

I get backing coach and wanting definitive proof. I just get the feeling that some people will NEVER have enough proof on this. Right now ... with what is PUBLICLY available, I'd agree that there isn't enough proof to just can him. I'm also pretty confident the people making the decisions have more proof than is publicly available.
      Yes, if it was stated and corroborated under oath, it would be enough to say it happened.

The time gap is not a disqualifier, but it does factor in. Anyone who says otherwise needs to look into the statute of limitations for felony non-sexual assault in Kansas. I’m not saying it means he cannot be fired for it, but the statute exists for a reason, and the reasoning can be applied.

When Mangino backed that kid up against a wall and choked him, it was reported immediately.
      When Knight choked the player in 97, it was on tape, and it was also backed up by several incidents that had been reported along the way, so when he did whatever to the freshman who lipped off at him, IU knew it would just be more frequent if kids knew they could get a rise out of him and they had a pattern established so they canned him.

​​​​​​If WSU thinks they need to move on from Marshall after this but cannot fire for cause, stop renewing his contract and let it play out.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• I don't believe at this point that any of the witnesses are testifying under oath. This is not a legal proceeding...yet. It's not like a legal judgment by an elected official or jury will render a decision on GM's fate. Now this all very well could end in a lawsuit. But that would likely occur after a decision by the university is made whether to retain GM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post
          I don't believe at this point that any of the witnesses are testifying under oath. This is not a legal proceeding...yet. It's not like a legal judgment by an elected official or jury will render a decision on GM's fate. Now this all very well could end in a lawsuit. But that would likely occur after a decision by the university is made whether to retain GM.
          Isn’t a deposition under oath?
          People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Isn’t a deposition under oath?
            I'm no legal expert but I believe the answer is yes. But I don't believe them contacting or talking to anyone as part of this investigation is in the form of a deposition. Of course I could be completely wrong on all of this.

I believe Shane this morning mentioned this and his take was no one was under oath.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

If you think that made your point .. then well .. you need help.
              Yes, he has demonstrated numerous times that he is in need of help.

Comment

Well if we want to pay a coach $500,000 dollars, we could afford one right now. Here was an editorial in the newspaper from one of the largest Shocker donors and one of the biggest reasons he receives 3.5 Million dollars right now. Just go half way down the page. It doesn't really matter what many on here think unless we want to pay what Southwest Missouri State pays their coach.

https://eedition.kansas.com/ccidist-...3stic#/pages/9
                Tom Devlin wrote an editorial in the Wichita Eagle today that unequivocally threw his support behind GM and LM. He didn't mention how he made his millions or that he presently owns Flint Hills National Golf Club. He didn't mention that his name is on the Basketball Court at Koch Arena or the millions he's donated to various Wichita State building or City of Wichita projects. He also didn't mention that he pays a part (I don't know how much) of GM's salary. None of this was mentioned or that he will withdraw his support but I can verify that he has given more support to GM than any other coach and he has been supportive from a monetary point of view.

This is what he did say. He does say that he gives them his support. He mentions that he has supported Shocker basketball since 1980, and he's never seen it at the success it is now (mentions the 2014 season,etc.). This type of success only comes when a person is passionate. (basically called him a "winner"). He mentions how much GM and LM have done for the Wichita community both on the court and off of the court, and he is proud to call them his friends.

As I said previously, if we don't want to pay our coach the way that Southwest Missouri State pays, this better be done right and fairly, and not seemingly even a little bit like a witch hunt. And even then, I'm not sure if the same support will continue from some of these donors. My perception is that Tom Devlin is the type of person who supports Wichita, and to an extent Wichita State, but there is no extended loyalty from to them. I don't think he's even a WSU alum. Just a person with a lot of resources who likes to see Wichita success.

This is paraphrased and I leave some out.

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

I'm no legal expert but I believe the answer is yes. But I don't believe them contacting or talking to anyone as part of this investigation is in the form of a deposition. Of course I could be completely wrong on all of this.

I believe Shane this morning mentioned this and his take was no one was under oath.
                  They reported Shaq agreed to a deposition, didn’t they?

Comment

Tom Devlin wrote an editorial in the Wichita Eagle today that unequivocally threw his support behind GM and LM. He didn't mention how he made his millions or that he presently owns Flint Hills National Golf Club. He didn't mention that his name is on the Basketball Court at Koch Arena or the millions he's donated to various Wichita State building or City of Wichita projects. He also didn't mention that he pays a part (I don't know how much) of GM's salary. None of this was mentioned or that he will withdraw his support but I can verify that he has given more support to GM than any other coach and he has been supportive from a monetary point of view.

This is what he did say. He does say that he gives them his support. He mentions that he has supported Shocker basketball since 1980, and he's never seen it at the success it is now (mentions the 2014 season,etc.). This type of success only comes when a person is passionate. (basically called him a "winner"). He mentions how much GM and LM have done for the Wichita community both on the court and off of the court, and he is proud to call them his friends.

As I said previously, if we don't want to pay our coach the way that Southwest Missouri State pays, this better be done right and fairly, and not seemingly even a little bit like a witch hunt. And even then, I'm not sure if the same support will continue from some of these donors. My perception is that Tom Devlin is the type of person who supports Wichita, and to an extent Wichita State, but there is no extended loyalty from to them. I don't think he's even a WSU alum. Just a person with a lot of resources who likes to see Wichita success.

Here's what I found particularly interesting from his comments:

I have been associated with WSU, the basketball program and its coaches since 1980. I have never seen anyone more involved with the community and the players. I, along with many others, stand united in support of Gregg Marshall. He and Lynn are great people and I am very proud to call them my friends.

Comment

I don't think he's even a WSU alum. Just a person with a lot of resources who likes to see Wichita success.

Tom Devlin is definitely an alum

Comment

• Here's a link to Tom Devlin's letter - https://www.kansas.com/opinion/lette...246609928.html
                        Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

Tom Devlin is definitely an alum
                          Well I'm pretty sure his kids went to K State. I know he has contributed lots to Kansas Newman University, and other community projects. I also am pretty sure he's given money to Kansas State.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post
                            It’s not about who the coach is, it’s about cancel culture in the institution. I love Shocker basketball, but if they fire a coach for what is in the articles without substantial more proof (not just a handful of disgruntled players saying it happened) I can’t support it. It’s not about valuing wins over assault, it’s about finally seeing the degradation of our society finally finding its way into this program.
                            Aren’t you advocating cancel culture

Comment

Well I'm pretty sure his kids went to K State. I know he has contributed lots to Kansas Newman University, and other community projects. I also am pretty sure he's given money to Kansas State.
                              yes, he gives a lot but he went to WSU, as did his son Tommy, at least to start

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post

Aren’t you advocating cancel culture
                                How so?

By circular logic it could be extrapolated to that, sure. But to say that not allowing something that is offensive to some to be canceled for all is still canceling and therefore we should go ahead and perpetuate cancel culture is starting to get out into the weeds of political philosophy and really belongs in a 400 political philosophy class.

Comment

Working...
                                X