Coaching search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

I think Cohen, et al. Nuff said. The amount of talent that went elsewhere during the 90s was criminal. From everything I heard, a lot of them never even got a look. Incompetence is probably the easiest answer.
    Well said. Mike Cohen was the worst head coach in the program by thousands of miles. The team was out of control, unprepared and way too talented to have the records we had in a bad conference. At least in the first 2 seasons....Season 3 was beyond a joke. No effort or organization in recruiting, a guy that had no business being a head coach, an athletics staff uninterested in winning...I don't know how that last team in 91-92 won any games, much less 8 but we were in a shitty Valley. Schedule was a little strong, but then Cohen has no idea what he was doing, so games against Syracuse, Florida, Oklahoma State, Utah, Ku and Kstate easily sucked him in. I pray we never see those days again.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      No announcement today??
      Do you really need one?

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Do you really need one?
        Probably not. I heard a rumor.....

Comment

• I remember Mike K. Talking about this. I think that Cohen had been recruiting Griffin and Craig Duerksen from Hillsboro to WSU (Both AG and CD were secrets and not highly recruited) and then he was fired. He then gave the Seton Hall coach (who Cohen had a relationship with) the heads up on these two kids during the coaching change. Before Thompson had a chance to find out about these guys from Kansas high school coaches, Seton Hall scooped them up.

Comment

• Mike graduated from the Hall if I remember correctly so that makes a lot of sense.

Comment

• The University, in general during the 90's didn't have much appeal though. Basketball troubles aside. Once Schauss came in, it all changed.
              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post

I think Cohen, et al. Nuff said. The amount of talent that went elsewhere during the 90s was criminal. From everything I heard, a lot of them never even got a look. Incompetence is probably the easiest answer.
                My recollection was that one or both of Mark Hutton and Cortez Barnes were committed to play but both were Prop 48 and played Juco then moved on.
                Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Another tidbit regarding AD from a Sporting News article:

"There was a moment when assistant coach Adrian Griffin was chatting with one of his bosses, and the subject of education came up. Griffin was taking classes, and the assumption was that he was finishing his degree from his collegiate days at Seton Hall.

But, uh … not quite.

Oh, a master’s degree? Nope, got that while playing in the NBA?

Try a doctorate, in leadership studies."

Comment

• How about Steve Eck?

Comment

• Originally posted by BenWSU View Post
                      How about Steve Eck?
                      I'd rather have Jodi Adams
                      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

I am fairly certain you have more "pull" with ADDB than I do.
                        I might send an email but it will be to Coach Brown to offer him congratulations, support and to wish him the best of luck and success.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                          I remember Mike K. Talking about this. I think that Cohen had been recruiting Griffin and Craig Duerksen from Hillsboro to WSU (Both AG and CD were secrets and not highly recruited) and then he was fired. He then gave the Seton Hall coach (who Cohen had a relationship with) the heads up on these two kids during the coaching change. Before Thompson had a chance to find out about these guys from Kansas high school coaches, Seton Hall scooped them up.
                          Not to divert the thread, but Duerksen wasn't a high major D1 player IMO. I think it might have been a package deal - from what little I knew and saw first/secondhand, they played on the same AAU team and were both very nice guys with good test scores and might have bonded there.

Cohen was from back east and went to Seton hall undergrad so that doesn't surprise me.

And I'm going off very faint memories but I remember multiple firsthand accounts of how AG wanted to get out of Kansas and go to the biggest stage so he wasn't seriously considering KU or WSU.

Which is another feather in the guy's cap for having that foresight.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Well said. Mike Cohen was the worst head coach in the program by thousands of miles. The team was out of control, unprepared and way too talented to have the records we had in a bad conference. At least in the first 2 seasons....Season 3 was beyond a joke. No effort or organization in recruiting, a guy that had no business being a head coach, an athletics staff uninterested in winning...I don't know how that last team in 91-92 won any games, much less 8 but we were in a shitty Valley. Schedule was a little strong, but then Cohen has no idea what he was doing, so games against Syracuse, Florida, Oklahoma State, Utah, Ku and Kstate easily sucked him in. I pray we never see those days again.
                            Don't forget losing at BYU 96-48 on CBS national television Sunday game of the week. I may have gotten the exact score wrong, but the feeling remains. It was close to a double up.

(That being said, I have to admit that losing John Cooper to a cheap shot was a death blow to that team/season. Similar to watching the Shocks without Fred in Orlando.)

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I might send an email but it will be to Coach Brown to offer him congratulations, support and to wish him the best of luck and success.
                              A good idea; some of us posters may have already sent that email.

ibrown@goshockers.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Good News View Post

Don't forget losing at BYU 96-48 on CBS national television Sunday game of the week. I may have gotten the exact score wrong, but the feeling remains. It was close to a double up.

(That being said, I have to admit that losing John Cooper to a cheap shot was a death blow to that team/season. Similar to watching the Shocks without Fred in Orlando.)
                                You are confusing BYU with Utah; Dec 22 1990 Utah beat the Shockers 95-48 in the Huntsman Center. The next season (Cohen's last as HC) the Shockers lost to Utah 58-36 in Henry Levitt. Cohen never coached the Shockers against BYU.

Comment

Working...
                                X