No announcement yet.

Coach Gregg Marshall Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aargh, just put a sock in it on your long boring repetitive and erroneous posts and have a Happy New Year!

Comment

• Aargh do you just copy and paste this **** from the last time you posted it?

Comment

• How come you weren’t pouncing around, demanding Marshall’s head for the last 6 or 7 years Aargh? If Marshall was not good enough and didn’t get the results you were expecting (lol), why now are you airing the dirty laundry?

If I recall correctly, you were the one wearing the shades because the future looked so bright.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

After that, every time a significant coaching spot came open, some fans of that school would put up the video of that incident and say that they wanted nothing to do with Marshall, regardless of any number of wins he might bring to their team.
          Outwardly they might use the video but deep down and behind the scenes they hoped he’d get hired because he wins.

Comment

• Like Marshall was the only Coach that had an outburst. See Boeheim, Roy Williams, Coach K and on and on. Yeah those schools would have hired Gregg in a New York secon if they thought he would come.

Comment

Marshall made WSU a national name brand. He did great work in the community and donated time and money to charitable causes. He got the city national, positive attention by getting better TV exposure through the basketball team. He was well-liked and respected in the community.

The video of the meltdown in Canada was seen on a lot of basketball message boards, and it got brought up almost every time another school had an opening for a coach. Yes, other schools still wanted to talk to him after seeing that video - some not so much.

Mark Few makes $1.8 mill a year. Marshall made $3.5 mill a year. Marshall is going to make almost as much as Few for the next 6 years for doing nothing.

So, is Few an idiot for not pursuing every P5 job that opened up and Marshall is a genius for going after every job he could in order to maximize his pay? Or is Marshall the guy who said, "stay where you're happy", but then tried every avenue to leave, while Few actually stayed where he was happy? My attitude in that area is either stay and ask for a raise, or leave. Don't go shopping for the highest bidder and threaten to leave every year. That's a low-life move that's only going to work with an inexperienced or incompetent AD. Marshal's AD was both and he took advantage of that.

The loyalty WSU showed to Marshall was incredibly higher than the loyalty Marshall showed to WSU. Marshall's loyalty was tied to $$.

Marshall made his F4 run with 3 NBA players on the roster. He continued making NCAA runs with 2 of those 3 on the roster. Since then he's had one NBA player, who only played 2 years, and another NBA prospect who transferred after two years.

Marshall is a good coach who can develop players and win games. A great coach would have recruited more PG's than FVV and AG in the last 6 or 7 years. A great coach would have recruited more legitimate post players than Stutz (one year) and Morris (one year) over a 14-year period. Marshall is a likely HoF coach after getting the Natty CoY.

Several players Marshall coached have done great in Euro ball after they graduated. Frankamp is hitting a higher % of shots than he did at WSU. Zach Brown is scorching nets, which he didn't do at WSU. Rashard Kelly is hitting shots. Those guys are performing better against pro competition than they did against the MVC.

We're not likely to hire a great coach, but Marshall was a good coach who was being paid as if he was a great coach.

It was Dana Ford who found and recruited VanVleet. It was either Heiar or Jans who found Baker and convinced Marshall to take a look at him.

This last recruiting class was an incredible reaction to a mass mutiny. It moved recruiting from MVC levels to AAC levels, with the exception of a post player.

I think that if Shaq's complaint and the report about Linstead were the only clouds hanging over Marshall, that could have been handled, although it would have require some (unlikely) humility form Marshall. Since it wasn't handled, I suspect there was more we are not aware of.
              You can try to re-write history but to knowledgeable Shocker fans, it just won’t fly. There have been 3 decades of Wichita State basketball on a high Top 10-20 National level and GM with a 331-128 record was the best and it really wasn’t close. You can try to give the credit to Assistants but that won’t work either. Jeff Jones doesn’t get the credit for Gene Smithson and Ford doesn’t get the credit for GM. Your dislike for GM overwhelms your common sense. I know your favorite coach was probably Gary Thompson during your time at WSU but you are not thinking clearly. You need to give up your re-writing history.

Comment

• Nobody from the later teams came out and defended HCGM. There are a lot of high character guys from those groups - Fred, Ron, Evan, Zach, RK... I don’t have to get near the guys everyone loves to take shots at.

Triple G did a lot of good. He is no longer here, because he made mistakes and refused to accept any kind of responsibility. As Ron said “don’t lie” was the one program rule and GGG broke it.
                Last edited by proshox; December 27, 2020, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post
                  Nobody from the later teams came out and defended HCGM. There are a lot of high character guys from those groups - Fred, Ron, Evan, Zach, RK... I don’t have to near the guys everyone loves to take shots at.

Triple G did a lot of good. He is no longer here, because he made mistakes and refused to accept any kind of responsibility. As Ron said “don’t lie” was the one program rule and GGG broke it.
                  We can disagree and we do, but don’t re-write the past decade. There is no doubt that in 5 years, some of you old goats will soften your words and remember how good we’ve had it. Hopefully, in 5 years, we won’t be re-living the 90’s, lamenting 2025 and wishing we were back to 2008-2020. At least, that is my hope and I’d think we’d agree on that.

Comment

Marshall made WSU a national name brand. He did great work in the community and donated time and money to charitable causes. He got the city national, positive attention by getting better TV exposure through the basketball team. He was well-liked and respected in the community.

The video of the meltdown in Canada was seen on a lot of basketball message boards, and it got brought up almost every time another school had an opening for a coach. Yes, other schools still wanted to talk to him after seeing that video - some not so much.

Mark Few makes $1.8 mill a year. Marshall made $3.5 mill a year. Marshall is going to make almost as much as Few for the next 6 years for doing nothing.

So, is Few an idiot for not pursuing every P5 job that opened up and Marshall is a genius for going after every job he could in order to maximize his pay? Or is Marshall the guy who said, "stay where you're happy", but then tried every avenue to leave, while Few actually stayed where he was happy? My attitude in that area is either stay and ask for a raise, or leave. Don't go shopping for the highest bidder and threaten to leave every year. That's a low-life move that's only going to work with an inexperienced or incompetent AD. Marshal's AD was both and he took advantage of that.

The loyalty WSU showed to Marshall was incredibly higher than the loyalty Marshall showed to WSU. Marshall's loyalty was tied to $$.

Marshall made his F4 run with 3 NBA players on the roster. He continued making NCAA runs with 2 of those 3 on the roster. Since then he's had one NBA player, who only played 2 years, and another NBA prospect who transferred after two years.

Marshall is a good coach who can develop players and win games. A great coach would have recruited more PG's than FVV and AG in the last 6 or 7 years. A great coach would have recruited more legitimate post players than Stutz (one year) and Morris (one year) over a 14-year period. Marshall is a likely HoF coach after getting the Natty CoY.

Several players Marshall coached have done great in Euro ball after they graduated. Frankamp is hitting a higher % of shots than he did at WSU. Zach Brown is scorching nets, which he didn't do at WSU. Rashard Kelly is hitting shots. Those guys are performing better against pro competition than they did against the MVC.

We're not likely to hire a great coach, but Marshall was a good coach who was being paid as if he was a great coach.

It was Dana Ford who found and recruited VanVleet. It was either Heiar or Jans who found Baker and convinced Marshall to take a look at him.

This last recruiting class was an incredible reaction to a mass mutiny. It moved recruiting from MVC levels to AAC levels, with the exception of a post player.

I think that if Shaq's complaint and the report about Linstead were the only clouds hanging over Marshall, that could have been handled, although it would have require some (unlikely) humility form Marshall. Since it wasn't handled, I suspect there was more we are not aware of.
                    I usually agree with what you say and appreciate the manner in which you say it - with the notable exception of the team losing 3 games in Orlando without Fred and you putting Marshall on the "hot seat" - but I have to take exception.

I happen to agree with all of your assessments regarding assistant coaches and recruiting. I have posted before about them.

My question to you is - even though assistants may have recruited and signed the players - do you think that there would be a Final Four team or a 35-0 team or the other teams that pulled out wins that they technically shouldn't have pulled at the margin and therefore gotten NCAA bids/wins without the attitude that Marshall installed and cultivated?

I say no.

I don't know what your basketball, business, or other background is... but at the margin, I am highly comfortable saying that success in life is related to being willing to go further than the other guy.

Marshall saw that and put it in his teams. There were a lot of teams with equal or superior talent that stayed home and watched the tournament on television.

GN

Comment

• Originally posted by Good News View Post

I usually agree with what you say and appreciate the manner in which you say it - with the notable exception of the team losing 3 games in Orlando without Fred and you putting Marshall on the "hot seat" - but I have to take exception.

I happen to agree with all of your assessments regarding assistant coaches and recruiting. I have posted before about them.

My question to you is - even though assistants may have recruited and signed the players - do you think that there would be a Final Four team or a 35-0 team or the other teams that pulled out wins that they technically shouldn't have pulled at the margin and therefore gotten NCAA bids/wins without the attitude that Marshall installed and cultivated?

I say no.

I don't know what your basketball, business, or other background is... but at the margin, I am highly comfortable saying that success in life is related to being willing to go further than the other guy.

Marshall saw that and put it in his teams. There were a lot of teams with equal or superior talent that stayed home and watched the tournament on television.

GN
                      Good Post. I agree with it. I’m not sure what your past statements said about past Assistant Coaches but the banner above CKA doesn’t say Ralph Miller and Lanny Van Eman, or Ralph Miller and Gary Thompson. None of the team record books list Gene Smithson and Jeff Jones, won’t say Mark Turgeon, and Tad Boyle, and they won’t say Gregg Marshall and Ford (who was here for only one year out of 12 years).

Comment

• Originally posted by Good News View Post

I say no.

GN
                        Pretty much 100% correct. I have often thought you need a little/lot of crazy to be as successful in college athletics. That crazy needs to be tempered by a cohesive team of assistants and administration.

Everything went of the rails when key assistants moved on and Gregg essentially became everyone's boss. If I had to guess - the new assistants didn't push players hard enough, were not comfortable pushing back to Gregg (there were games where Kellen was the only one on the bench effectively communicating to Gregg), and none had not earned his trust. As a result, you had an unchecked Gregg feeling like he had to pick up the slack of others.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                          Like Marshall was the only Coach that had an outburst. See Boeheim, Roy Williams, Coach K and on and on. Yeah those schools would have hired Gregg in a New York secon if they thought he would come.
                          None of the ACC schools that had openings, while he was still at Winthrop, wanted him. Their overall impression was that "he was too cocky and disliked."

Gregg Marshall Out At Wichita State. Expect Some Duke Names In The Mix, And Not Just Duke Graduates - Duke Basketball Report

Comment

• I have a short list of Coaches that I would like to see us go after....only 1 from the ACC. None from Duke or NC. They will just use us as a stepping stone. Been there - done that.

Comment

• I decided to check *******'s twitter to see what he has been saying about Marshall since the resignation. He's brought him up a couple times regarding other sportscasters, as well as with a WSU fan a couple days ago. Here's the one with regards to the fan who replied to a post where ******* mentioned 5 freshman to watch:

It bugs him so much that Marshall resigned, that ******* has decided to just lie and say Marshall was fired vs resigning. Kind of makes you wonder how often he just outright lies in his articles instead of stating the facts. Probably why he's been fired from ESPN, CBS Sports, Fox Sports and other places. Actually I'm not sure if he was fired or resigned from those places, but since it appears that doesn't matter in his view with regards to others, I'll go with he has been fired from his previous jobs.
                              Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Here are a couple examples of ******* bringing up Marshall. One had to deal with Seth Greenberg after ******* tweeted an article about Marshall by Eldridge:

From reading other tweets replying to it, it appears ******* didn't like the what Greenberg said about the whole situation when asked about it on a CBS broadcast. Greenberg basically said he talked about basketball games and would wait for the facts to come out.

The other instance regarded Mark Adams, who had called the WSU vs Missouri game. A week later ******* put Missouri in his poll and Adams mentioned they had said on TV a week earlier that Missouri was a top 25 team. ******* didn't like that and threw out the Marshall card:

But Adams fired back with a couple tweets

and

Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

Working...
                                X