Coach Gregg Marshall Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I didn’t necessarily cheer but it wasn’t as big a deal to me as it was to the pear clutchers.
    I need a definition of Pear Clutcher

Comment

• I don’t need any definition...it was a total embarrassment to our team, our University, and Wichita.

Comment

• An uptight person, usually but not always female, usually but not always of conservative mores, who reacts with shock, feigned or otherwise, at other people's violations of decorum, propriety, morality, and so forth.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShauXTyme View Post
          I don’t need any definition...it was a total embarrassment to our team, our University, and Wichita.
          I totally agree with this. It was UNIVERSALLY used as an example that Marshall was totally out of control and a loose cannon by approximately 100% of anybody not closely associated with either the athletic department or with Marshall.

After that, every time a significant coaching spot came open, some fans of that school would put up the video of that incident and say that they wanted nothing to do with Marshall, regardless of any number of wins he might bring to their team.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Oh.... it’s PEARL clutcher... now it makes sense

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

I totally agree with this. It was UNIVERSALLY used as an example that Marshall was totally out of control and a loose cannon by approximately 100% of anybody not closely associated with either the athletic department or with Marshall.

After that, every time a significant coaching spot came open, some fans of that school would put up the video of that incident and say that they wanted nothing to do with Marshall, regardless of any number of wins he might bring to their team.
              You continue to spout utter bs. No one has ever done more to enhance the reputation of our team, athletic department and university than Marshall. The real embarrassment are hypocrites like you that enjoy all the success and then like lightning abandon Gregg and his family and you know nothing. Then you make up crap like this. Disgusting.

Comment

• My memory is not what it used to be, but as I recall the foul was called on Zach Brown for the infraction of letting a Canadian jump on his back during a loose ball carom.

Those Canadian refs were go***amn homers man!

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashockalypse View Post
                  You continue to spout utter bs. No one has ever done more to enhance the reputation of our team, athletic department and university than Marshall. The real embarrassment are hypocrites like you that enjoy all the success and then like lightning abandon Gregg and his family and you know nothing. Then you make up crap like this. Disgusting.
                  There is definitely more information that says Marshall committed fireable offenses than info the other way around. Because someone has done “a lot of good” doesn’t excuse the fireable offense. I mean, there’s a guy sitting in prison right now for life, even though he was a scoutmaster, a deacon in his church, and reportedly a good dad. Doing good things in life doesn’t excuse the rest of a persons actions. Actions have consequences. Everyone needs to accept it and move forward. It’s not going to go back to the way it was, no matter how much you bich and moan about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by molly jabali View Post

I need a definition of Pear Clutcher
                    Hard boil two eggs, put them in a tube sock, knead them.
                    People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

There is definitely more information that says Marshall committed fireable offenses than info the other way around. Because someone has done “a lot of good” doesn’t excuse the fireable offense. I mean, there’s a guy sitting in prison right now for life, even though he was a scoutmaster, a deacon in his church, and reportedly a good dad. Doing good things in life doesn’t excuse the rest of a persons actions. Actions have consequences. Everyone needs to accept it and move forward. It’s not going to go back to the way it was, no matter how much you bich and moan about it.
                      Do you seriously think I expect it “to go back the way it was”? Thanks for the lecture on life, ha ha. I’ve already excused Gregg’s actions. I don’t need your blessing. I do wanna see your ass in the seats when we are sucking big time again like I was in the 1990s when your dignified Coaching heroes Cohen and Thompson were leading the charge. Are you comparing Marshall’s actions which you know nothing about to someone sitting in prison? Your crowning achievement: “Actions have consequences” At least you got out of this life with that one.

Comment

I mean, there’s a guy sitting in prison right now for life, even though he was a scoutmaster, a deacon in his church, and reportedly a good dad. Doing good things in life doesn’t excuse the rest of a persons actions. Actions have consequences. Everyone needs to accept it and move forward. It’s not going to go back to the way it was, no matter how much you bich and moan about it.
                        Comparing Gregg Marshall to BTK? That’s a Shockernet classic.

Comment

The ****?
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I didn’t necessarily cheer but it wasn’t as big a deal to me as it was to the pear clutchers.
                              I was watching it live and was really afraid that GGG was going to get hold of ref. Now maybe it was all show like he said because he was trying to make a point, but watching it live you didn't know how it was going to turn out and he was tossing his assistants around like rag dolls.

Now in the end - it was more like Gene Stephenson or Brent Kemnitz going after the home plate umpire. But it was crazy for WSU basketball.

Comment

• Marshall made WSU a national name brand. He did great work in the community and donated time and money to charitable causes. He got the city national, positive attention by getting better TV exposure through the basketball team. He was well-liked and respected in the community.

The video of the meltdown in Canada was seen on a lot of basketball message boards, and it got brought up almost every time another school had an opening for a coach. Yes, other schools still wanted to talk to him after seeing that video - some not so much.

Mark Few makes $1.8 mill a year. Marshall made $3.5 mill a year. Marshall is going to make almost as much as Few for the next 6 years for doing nothing.

So, is Few an idiot for not pursuing every P5 job that opened up and Marshall is a genius for going after every job he could in order to maximize his pay? Or is Marshall the guy who said, "stay where you're happy", but then tried every avenue to leave, while Few actually stayed where he was happy? My attitude in that area is either stay and ask for a raise, or leave. Don't go shopping for the highest bidder and threaten to leave every year. That's a low-life move that's only going to work with an inexperienced or incompetent AD. Marshal's AD was both and he took advantage of that.

The loyalty WSU showed to Marshall was incredibly higher than the loyalty Marshall showed to WSU. Marshall's loyalty was tied to $$.

Marshall made his F4 run with 3 NBA players on the roster. He continued making NCAA runs with 2 of those 3 on the roster. Since then he's had one NBA player, who only played 2 years, and another NBA prospect who transferred after two years.

Marshall is a good coach who can develop players and win games. A great coach would have recruited more PG's than FVV and AG in the last 6 or 7 years. A great coach would have recruited more legitimate post players than Stutz (one year) and Morris (one year) over a 14-year period. Marshall is a likely HoF coach after getting the Natty CoY.

Several players Marshall coached have done great in Euro ball after they graduated. Frankamp is hitting a higher % of shots than he did at WSU. Zach Brown is scorching nets, which he didn't do at WSU. Rashard Kelly is hitting shots. Those guys are performing better against pro competition than they did against the MVC.

We're not likely to hire a great coach, but Marshall was a good coach who was being paid as if he was a great coach.

It was Dana Ford who found and recruited VanVleet. It was either Heiar or Jans who found Baker and convinced Marshall to take a look at him.

This last recruiting class was an incredible reaction to a mass mutiny. It moved recruiting from MVC levels to AAC levels, with the exception of a post player.

I think that if Shaq's complaint and the report about Linstead were the only clouds hanging over Marshall, that could have been handled, although it would have require some (unlikely) humility form Marshall. Since it wasn't handled, I suspect there was more we are not aware of.
                                The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                                We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Working...
                                X