No announcement yet.

Coach Gregg Marshall Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For what its worth, I don't there was a 'correct' time for Shaq Morris to come forward. If he came forward as a player, how would we have reacted? We probably would have backed Marshall, and put Shaq forever in our bad graces. Not to mention, at the time he was already in the doghouse as far as the fans were concerned right as this happened. If he came out his senior year, there would be a 'why bring this up now' feeling and it probably wouldn't have gained traction. The only difference that came from waiting on it is that Shaq was further removed from dependence on the university and Marshall and wasn't risking his scholarship and future career. I'm not saying this to justify what Shaq did, just to say that I think the fanbase would have reacted the same way no matter when things came up. This was always going to be nasty.

That said, I don't think one reported incident can explain what happened. This had to be a last straw situation, and I think the team's record and the departures over the past few seasons played as big a role as anything. As an outsider looking in, it looks to me like Boatright lost confidence in Marshall's ability to right the ship and the allegations pushed him over the edge. It doesn't seem to just be a moralistic knee-jerk.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

They were going to pay him something soon after it happened or today. The time it happened matter very little in today's litigious society. It may have been less but he wasn't going away with no buyout.
      The NDA is likely more important than the $$$ amount.

Comment

• Do the math and WSU came out really good with the buyout.

$7.75 ,mill over 6 years is $1.3 mill a year. The moment Marshall takes a job for at least that much, no more money from WSU.

Subtract $1.3 mill from $3.5 mill and that leaves $2.2 mill. That amount probably won't be there due to some upset donors, but that amount shouldn't be needed to hire a new coach either.

The big item in the settlement is stretching the money over 6 years instead of 3. The settlement is more favorable to WSU than it appears if you just look at the amount.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockfan89_ View Post

I believe any income he makes will reduce the amount WSU owes. If fHCGM gets a job paying $700,000 then I believe WSU is only obligated to pay $600,000 per year?
          Under the original buy out yes. Under the negotiated buy out don't know. I am sure the lawyers hammered that out.

7.25/6 = 1.2. He could have negotiated that he can make upto 1.2 mil a year without reducing the WSU payout thus keeping the 15mil over 6 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock View Post

Obviously not since the one that took action was HCGM
            Because he very willingly resigned without any internal pressure or outstanding circumstances

Comment

• Originally posted by Speak2me View Post
              ESPN Article

Gregg Marshall agreed to a settlement of $7.75 million over the next six years to resign as Wichita State men's basketball coach after an internal investigation into his behavior following allegations of physical and verbal abuse by former players.

"This was a difficult decision, but one I feel was necessary for my family, the university and, most importantly, the student-athletes," Marshall said. "I remain grateful for my years spent at Wichita State. I wish to thank the coaches, student-athletes, the university, the community, and all of Shocker Nation for their unending dedication, support and loyalty. I am incredibly proud of this men's basketball program and all it has achieved over the past 14 years and am confident of its continued success."
              That statement is in Taylor's article too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

That statement is in Taylor's article too.
                It’s the statement front the press release.
                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Yes, but it doesn't make his wrong either. And the reasons don't have a lot to do with how tough Gregg was, just saying.
                  Pure speculation on my part, but I would guess if they didn't see eye to eye it might have had to do with how similar their competitive drive and personalities are.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    November 17, 2020. The day everybody in Wichita loses. EVERYBODY.
                    I totally agree. Sad for sure.

Comment

• Originally posted by Woodrow View Post

I agree with Doc. I guess you'll have to put me in your asinine basket since you are labeling us.
                      I didn't label anyone, especially you. I thought his comment was asinine, not Doc. As I said, he's one of our best posters.
                      "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

Really? Does everything have to be political? Does everything have to be the liberal's fault?

You're one of Shockernet's best posters. But this comment is kind of asinine at a time like this.
                        I appreciate your compliment as much as I appreciate your condemnation, honestly.

My point wasn't so much to blame "the left", but I can see why it's interpreted that way, clearly.

To be more clear, it was to question what I believe to be a clear shift in approach and thinking, and whether or not (and yes, I am suggesting that this is not a group positive) it's beneficial to all, most, some, few or none.

And I don't think discussing whether or not that's the case is terribly controversial, but maybe it is.

The University, and athletics, as a whole, has trended to a more inclusive, all encompassing arena for some time now. And that trend was accelerated by the previous and recently transitioned President Golden, and I THINK it's to the detriment of not only the uniquely successful, but in fact to most if not all but a very few, and I'm curious if others see that as well.

I'm more than open to the fact that I'm wrong, and that's why I asked in another post for examples of who is benefiting from this trend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post

Really? Does everything have to be political? Does everything have to be the liberal's fault?

You're one of Shockernet's best posters. But this comment is kind of asinine at a time like this.
                          Saying there was no winner in this whole debacle is a stupid sentiment, eh? But of course your opinion is better.

GGG couldn't be fired with cause...

Comment

• I suppose the writing was on the wall that this was coming but it is still a pill that is very hard to swallow.

It is really hard to know for sure where the fault lies with this fiasco but IMHO that fault can be spread around pretty broadly. Unfortunately, I also don't think we will ever find out all the details or ever see the report by the St. Louis law firm. We will be left to speculate and try to read the tea leaves and in between the lines.

Whether or not our athletic department can absorb this blow and remain viable at the level we have risen to remains to be seen. I think we can, but it will not be easy.

Hopefully, some lessons have been learned but maybe not. One thing I would like to see change although I don't know if the market place allows it is that coaching contracts become much more performance and incentive based and get rid of the break the bank buyout provisions like we had for both Todd Butler and Gregg Marshall or we need to get much better crystal balls.

Coach Marshall is in good shape and I have no doubt he and his family will be fine. Hopefully, the same can be said for Shocker athletics and Wichita State which also extends to the Wichita community at large.

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                              I think the partial buyout can signal several things; one, no one admits fault. Two, and probably just as important, is a non-disclosure piece that would prevent release of the full report. Don't know what is available under open disclosure laws, but Marshall blocking release for half the buyout makes sense. I bet he's employed next year, meaning WSU only pays 1/6th of the buyout.
                              Yes, I think you're right, if not next year, the year after. And remember, he has to make a good faith effort (unless that's been reworked into the "deal", which is entirely possible, as it was with Coach Butler. I highly doubt Gregg is interested in filling out monthly, if not weekly job resume reports that chronicle his ongoing attempts to find a job) to find related work.

I suspect the agreement covers that if he gets work the money is diminished but that he doesn't have to prove he's making a good faith effort. Just my guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post

How do we know HCGM didn't get due process and that the settlement isn't reflective of contributory negligence on the part of the Athletic Department?

Boatright is gone once we get a permanent president.
                                That's a good point, he may very well have gotten due process. I really hope he did because everybody should no matter their position. I just can't the shake the feeling that the whole internal investigation was a kangaroo court given today's climate and people like ******* with such a chub for 3G hate. Hopefully that's not the case though.

Comment

Working...
                                X