No announcement yet.

Coach Gregg Marshall Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IF... and its a big IF, he is let go... would him getting another job say next year or 2 years down the road reduce his buyout ( say he gets a P5 job and makes 1 mil a year)?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wuzee View Post

Jesus Christ had a reputation as a nice coach. Jobu says he couldn't hit a curveball, but he was liked by a good number of people. He did go Bobby Knight on the money-changers' tables, though, so he probably would've lost his job and been unemployable except at the Juco level.
      You are right. He was without sin but he still was persecuted.

Comment

• Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
        Could GM be dragging this out to ensure his staff stays?
        That's an interesting theory that on the surface makes a lot of sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by mjbaker84 View Post
          IF... and its a big IF, he is let go... would him getting another job say next year or 2 years down the road reduce his buyout ( say he gets a P5 job and makes 1 mil a year)?
          Yes there is a mitigation clause in the contract.

Comment

IF... and its a big IF, he is let go... would him getting another job say next year or 2 years down the road reduce his buyout ( say he gets a P5 job and makes 1 mil a year)?
            you would assume there would be something like that

Comment

Yes. If there's a buyout, the university can spread it out in equal payments over 3 years:

8.2.2. The payment of any liquidated damages to Mr. Marshall, as specified by Paragraph 8.2.1., shall be paid by ICAA over no more than a three year period (with equal amounts paid each year at a time reasonably determined by the parties, but if no agreement can be reached, annual payments would be as of April 16 of each succeeding year).

and the following talks about the possible reduction:

8.3. Should ICAA terminate Mr. Marshall for any reason other than those set forth under paragraph 7.2 above, Mr. Marshall agrees to make a good faith effort to mitigate ICAA’s obligation to pay liquidated damages by seeking similar employment (that of a Mid-Major Division I Head Basketball Coach) or other opportunities within the scope of his expertise to provide personal services for remuneration. If Mr. Marshall obtains new employment or other opportunities, ICAA’s obligation to continue to pay liquidated damages will be reduced by the total compensation or other remuneration received from Mr. Marshall’s new employment or opportunities. If Mr. Marshall fails to make a good faith effort to mitigate ICAA’s obligation under this provision of the contract for employment and/or fails to provide information to ICAA regarding his effort to mitigate, as reasonably determined by ICAA, then ICAA shall have no further obligation to make payments under this Contract for Employment.

The above is from the 2015 original contract. Nothing was changed to either part in the amendment in 2017. I'm kind of surprised they didn't remove the Mid-Major reference in 8.3 of "a Mid-Major Division I Head Basketball Coach", but maybe they figured "or other opportunities within the scope of his expertise to provide personal services for remuneration." covered anything not Mid-Major.

Also, if you want to see what a "separation agreement" might look like when there's a buyout, Todd Butler's can be found at https://openrecords.wichita.edu/view...log/entry/652/ (bottom of page).
              Last edited by Ted Lasso's Neighbor; November 16, 2020, 03:34 PM.
              Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Career: 0.720

My God.

If he ends up at somewhere like Louisville or Kentucky in the next few years, I will never be in a position to make fun of Southwest Missouri State fans -- the stupidest fan base on Earth -- ever again.
                Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by boyshocker View Post
                  Could GM be dragging this out to ensure his staff stays?
                  That and I wouldn't doubt Norlander's view that he would do it to make the tweets by ******* and Norlander look wrong. Marshall will probably create an anonymous Twitter account ant troll them for years anytime they tweet something from a source and reply with something like 'remember when you said Gregg Marshall was going to get fired in a few days or by the end of the week - that didn't work out so why should we believe you now' :)
                  Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post

That and I wouldn't doubt Norlander's view that he would do it to make the tweets by ******* and Norlander look wrong. Marshall will probably create an anonymous Twitter account ant troll them for years anytime they tweet something from a source and reply with something like 'remember when you said Gregg Marshall was going to get fired in a few days or by the end of the week - that didn't work out so why should we believe you now' :)
                    I see what you did there.

The stupidity of those "reporters" astounds...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      Career: 0.720

My God.

If he ends up at somewhere like Louisville or Kentucky in the next few years, I will never be in a position to make fun of Southwest Missouri State fans -- the stupidest fan base on Earth -- ever again.
                      Louisville or Kentucky?

Comment

• Originally posted by BostonWu View Post

Louisville or Kentucky?
                        Yeah, somewhere like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                          Career: 0.720

My God.

If I know Gregg Marshall, he would want to stay in our conference so he can beat the hell out of us for 10 years.

ECU?

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

If I know Gregg Marshall, he would want to stay in our conference so he can beat the hell out of us for 10 years.

ECU?
                            His stock is way too high for ECU, even though that's very close to home. We're talkin' tech stock here, not transportation industry.

Comment

• If the allegations are true, he should be publicly suspended for the first 10 games of the season and be required to take anger management classes. He's the best coach the program has ever had, but he has serious anger issues. You can't hit kids. Team morale is huge in college basketball. I believe in forgiveness. He shouldn't necessarily be fired. A public suspension and admission of guilt with stated desire to do better would soothe a lot of wounds and allow a path forward.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

ECU?
                                Tulsa
                                People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X