Coach Gregg Marshall Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    Marshall gets a lot of credit for signing VanVleet and finding Baker. That is earned and deserved credit.

There were a lot of questions from non-WSU fans about what would Marshall do after Baker and VanVleet were gone. Marshall had made a F4 with three NBA players on the roster. The question was if he could get players of that level on the roster again.

After VanVleet, Baker and Wessel graduated:

'16-'17 - play-in win for the NCAA's followed by (technically) first-round loss
    '17-'18 - first round loss to Marshall
    '18-'19 - NIT F4 loss to Lipscomb
    '19-'20 - probable bubble team followed by half the team transferring

Does seem to be a pattern in that progression.
    Could not agree more, as I posted in another thread - consider Marshall's coaching performance under the lens of the Peter Principle.

Comment

Marshall gets a lot of credit for signing VanVleet and finding Baker. That is earned and deserved credit.

There were a lot of questions from non-WSU fans about what would Marshall do after Baker and VanVleet were gone. Marshall had made a F4 with three NBA players on the roster. The question was if he could get players of that level on the roster again.

That regression is still better than anyone who's coached WSU in the last 30 years.

I hope the next coach WSU hires, if that's the case, achieves consecutive years of tournament play.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

So I re-listened to Lutz/Norlander a couple times.

1. Jeff ******* premature reporting of this is impacting this - Marshall wants to show ******* is wrong, so he will drag this out into early next week.

Sorry.... I could not let this go...

Does anyone... (ANYONE??) find it at funny as I do, that the media THINKS Gregg Marshall wants "to drag this out" to prove (*******) the media wrong?????????

Sorry, but if that isn't the biggest 'pat on the back', I don't know what is..

Darren Boatright, ARE YOU LISTENING???

This isn't about Gregg Marshall/Wichita State/the players/etc.

This is about the media wanting to BECOME the story. ******* has wanted to frame all his stories as "racist" because that is the hot/woke button to perhaps lead to getting Marshall fired. Throw a little "Toxic-Masculinity" in there too. The firing validates his opinion of his power as a reporter for Stadium....

GOD FORBID that Gregg Marshall would "DRAG THIS OUT" for the sole purpose of making Jeff ******* look bad.

Can you see where we have jumped the shark here???

What makes these guys think they know what ANYONE in Wichita (let alone Gregg Marshall) is thinking??? I can't believe Norlander vocalized that on air. It's a bad look.

Comment

• Originally posted by StunningSteve View Post

Sorry.... I could not let this go...

Does anyone... (ANYONE??) find it at funny as I do, that the media THINKS Gregg Marshall wants "to drag this out" to prove (*******) the media wrong?????????

Sorry, but if that isn't the biggest 'pat on the back', I don't know what is..

Darren Boatright, ARE YOU LISTENING???

This isn't about Gregg Marshall/Wichita State/the players/etc.

This is about the media wanting to BECOME the story. ******* has wanted to frame all his stories as "racist" because that is the hot/woke button to perhaps lead to getting Marshall fired. Throw a little "Toxic-Masculinity" in there too. The firing validates his opinion of his power as a reporter for Stadium....

GOD FORBID that Gregg Marshall would "DRAG THIS OUT" for the sole purpose of making Jeff ******* look bad.

Can you see where we have jumped the shark here???

What makes these guys think they know what ANYONE in Wichita (let alone Gregg Marshall) is thinking??? I can't believe Norlander vocalized that on air. It's a bad look.
          No, but I think he would like to punch his lites out!

Comment

• Maybe like this.........

Coach we want you to resign.

Pisss off, fire me and gimme my 15 mil.

Coach, you hit a kid. We'll fire you for cause,

You knew about it when it happened and covered it up.

Coach we can subpoena 15-20 guys, get them under oath, lots of other stories will be made public. You don't want that.

FU

Coach how about a couple million?

Won't take less that 13.5

4 million, Coach, don't drag this out.

11. That's my bottom.

Coach it's already Friday. 5 million

Comment

• Chris Jans recruited Baker

Comment

• Originally posted by shockersx View Post
                What is your point? Assistant coaches do most of the recruiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

What is your point? Assistant coaches do most of the recruiting.
                  Oh yeah I know. Previous post said 3G deserved credit for getting Fred and Ron, just pointing out jans was responsible for Ron as GM had previously stated himself.

I do think Gregg was the one who identified Fred on the AAU circuit when he was whipping the big time aau teams IIRC. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Comment

Minor correction. The 2016-2017 season we did not play in the play in game. We beat Dayton in the first round and then lost by 3 to Kentucky in the second round.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

Minor correction. The 2016-2017 season we did not play in the play in game. We beat Dayton (at home) in the first round and then lost by 3 to Kentucky in the second round.
                      FIFY. That's a little tougher and Dayton was a very good team.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

FIFY. That's a little tougher and Dayton was a very good team.
                        That they were. And what a game that UK WSU game was......Wildcats with 3 1st rounders, 2 of which are current NBA stars if not superstars. This program has been so good for so many years now.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

That they were. And what a game that UK WSU game was......Wildcats with 3 1st rounders, 2 of which are current NBA stars if not superstars. This program has been so good for so many years now.
                          yes, we had 1 NBA player against a team of lottery players and had a chance to win at the end. It’s not the coaching.

Comment

• I don't know if this will help keep things on topic regarding this thread, but I went ahead and created a new thread called The Measurement of Success. For those who want to discuss how the program has been doing and if it's been successful or not, regardless of how you come to conclusion, please consider posting in the other thread instead. I'm just getting tired of seeing there's a new post in this thread and then finding it has nothing to do with the main topic. Thanks.
                            Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                              What's the timing between the Shaq incident and Sexton stepping down?
                              Found an article dated November 18, 2015, that said Sexton was stepping down as AD - https://www.kmuw.org/post/wsu-vp-stu...letic-director - the Shaq incident happened on October 22, 2015. Looks like Sexton resigned from WSU altogether in the summer of 2016 - https://www.kmuw.org/post/vp-student...-wichita-state

Boatright became interim AD in December 2015 - https://thesunflower.com/4148/news/b...etic-director/ - and officially became AD on July 1, 2016. Here are links to the open records requests regarding his contracts. His first contract went from 2016-2019, and his current contract runs into 2022:

2016 contract - https://openrecords.wichita.edu/view...log/entry/144/

2019 extension (scroll to the bottom of the page) - https://openrecords.wichita.edu/view...log/entry/622/
                              Last edited by Ted Lasso's Neighbor; November 14, 2020, 12:18 PM.
                              Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post

Found an article dated November 18, 2015, that said Sexton was stepping down as AD - https://www.kmuw.org/post/wsu-vp-stu...letic-director - the Shaq incident happened on October 22, 2015. Looks like Sexton resigned from WSU altogether in the summer of 2016 - https://www.kmuw.org/post/vp-student...-wichita-state

Boatright officially became AD on July 1, 2016. Here are links to the open records requests regarding his contracts. His first contract went from 2016-2019, and his current contract runs into 2022:

2016 contract - https://openrecords.wichita.edu/view...log/entry/144/

2019 extension (scroll to the bottom of the page) - https://openrecords.wichita.edu/view...log/entry/622/
                                It really does make you wonder what all was going on..
                                ​​​​​​-Why did Sexton really step down?
                                -Was there a change in culture in the athletic department after Sexton stepped down that led up to the incidents in men's basketball?
                                -Was there maybe less supervision after Sexton down that made coaches think they could get away with more?

I think the most disturbing part about this timeline of events is that it seems something might of been going on leading up to the Final 4 run, that wasn't good. Not gonna lie, even though we had the talent, it still seemed shocking how WSU could go from winning the NIT to maybe advancing to the 2nd round of the tournament to Omg, we're final 4 caliber. That's a hell of a jump

Comment

Working...
                                X