Coach Gregg Marshall Investigation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

The American gives us a footprint into Texas, Florida, Tennessee, Louisiana, North Carolina, etc etc.
    The question is - how does our recruiting footprint compare with our American Conference peers?

By definition - every American school has the same footprint, but there are still distinctions. Does WSU enjoy the same footprint as Houston, or does Houston have an advantage by being based in the middle of basketball hotness?
    Last edited by proshox; November 29, 2020, 10:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Ah, a “KU is totally awesome” reference.

Im sure that was just a coincidence.
      It was a shot at KU. KU is typically seen as “Blueblood” playing in a conference full of solid, but not great power five teams. As a result, they have owned their conference for two decades.

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post

The question is - how does our recruiting footprint compare with out peers?

By definition, every American school has the same footprint, but there are still distinctions. Does WSU enjoy the same footprint as Houston, or does Houston have an advantage by being based in the middle of basketball hotness?
        Like I said, I think you are over stating the importance of "footprint" on college basketball recruiting. Not really that big of an advantage to be geographically near someone.

Comment

• Hate to be a killjoy, but here are a few facts.

One, Gregg Marshall recruited on a private jet. The next coach won't have that.
          Pretty sure Charlie Koch is not going to let ICIB use it.

Two, WSU Athletic Budget is $30 million. $20 million of that came in from basketball.
          Without season ticket sales and SASO donations, that number is going to plummet.
          You can forget about getting a big name coach next year. We are not going to have the money.
          I would not be surprised to see the basketball revenue numbers cut in 1/2 over next couple of years.

Get ready to see Shockers in bottom half of the American.
          That is NOT what the American bargained for.
          As conference realignment comes along again around 2025, Houston, Cincy, and the Florida schools are going to be looking to other conferences.
          We may or may not stick in the AAC. The AAC may or may not hold together.
          If we don't, good luck getting back into the MVC.
          We may be stuck in conference limbo.

We won't have the money to fight our way into a better situation and we don't have football.

Don't worry about recruiting. That will be the least of our problems.

I am afraid the powers that be sacrificed WSU basketball to purgatory in their cancel cutlure decision to run off Gregg Marshall.
          I don't think he deserved it, but it is done.

Fourth, Charlie Koch is in his mid-80s and isn't going to live forever.
          I am pretty sure he was real tight with Gregg Marshall and is not real happy with this outcome.
          The 179 people who signed the Wichita Eagle ad supporting Gregg Marshall are probably pretty pissed off right now.
          Really, really stupid to alienate all these people.

Fifth, universities are going to be hurting for money and existing campuses are going to change over the next decade after online schooling becomes routine.
          Add to that Biden talking about waiving a lot of student loans.
          Where is toe money going to come from for these expensive college classes after that?
          The economics of colleges and universities is in for big changes over the next decade. And these changes are not going to be favorable to the universities.
          Several of the schools in the MVC were already hurting financially.

Sixth, our biggest industry, the aircraft industry is going to be hurting for at least five years along with the airlines and hotels.
          So that is not going to be good for our local economy.

All of these factors do not help our current situation.

It ain't goona be pretty folks.

Comment

• Originally posted by David Rahm View Post
            Hate to be a killjoy, but here are a few facts.

Two, WSU Athletic Budget is $30 million. $20 million of that came in from basketball.
            Without season ticket sales and SASO donations, that number is going to plummet.
            You can forget about getting a big name coach next year. We are not going to have the money.
            I would not be surprised to see the basketball revenue numbers cut in 1/2 over next couple of years.

As conference realignment comes along again around 2025, Houston, Cincy, and the Florida schools are going to be looking to other conferences.

We won't have the money to fight our way into a better situation and we don't have football.

I am afraid the powers that be sacrificed WSU basketball to purgatory in their cancel cutlure decision to run off Gregg Marshall.

I am pretty sure he was real tight with Gregg Marshall and is not real happy with this outcome.
            The 179 people who signed the Wichita Eagle ad supporting Gregg Marshall are probably pretty pissed off right now.

Fifth, universities are going to be hurting for money and existing campuses are going to change over the next decade after online schooling becomes routine.
            Where is toe money going to come from for these expensive college classes after that?
            The economics of colleges and universities is in for big changes over the next decade. And these changes are not going to be favorable to the universities.

Sixth, our biggest industry, the aircraft industry is going to be hurting for at least five years along with the airlines and hotels.

C’mon man!
            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I believe you are full of a brown substance that has a bad odor.

Just for one counter to your Debbie Downer post (your glass isn't half empty - it's completely empty), Charles Koch has his name on the arena. He's not going to allow his name to be associated with a loser if $$ can solve that. He wants his name on TV with a positive image associated with it. Once Charles passes, I'm confident his heirs will want the same for the name on the arena.

Then there's the attempt at cause and effect that forgiving student loans will dry up money from future students. Huh? Forgiving student loans, if that happens, frees up that money to be spent in the economy instead of being paid to banks. It's the government using borrowed money to put it into the hands of people who will spend it. I'm not saying I support that, but the theory behind it is sound for a recovering economy.

There's some hard times coming for every athletic department. I believe there are several coaches that can be hired that will not dry up donor support and not cause significant exodus of players.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Comment

• Proshox is right on this. Gonzaga figured this out long ago. Waste of time to debate it as intuition and emotion says otherwise to a typical fan brain but unfortunately I think it will be clear a decade from now when we look back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Keyser Soze View Post
                    Proshox is right on this. Gonzaga figured this out long ago. Waste of time to debate it as intuition and emotion says otherwise to a typical fan brain but unfortunately I think it will be clear a decade from now when we look back.
                    C’mon man!
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

C’mon man!
                      Lmao
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Oh jeez. All the ol Valley fogies comin out of the wood work now. Give me a break with this BS.

Comment

• Capture.JPG

Data from the "Study of the AAC Recruiting Footprint"

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post

It was a shot at KU. KU is typically seen as “Blueblood” playing in a conference full of solid, but not great power five teams. As a result, they have owned their conference for two decades.
                            Let it go, your post was too nuanced for Fever and his ilk.

Comment

1. The resources will still be there, as long as we make the right hire. Not concerned at all.

2. The athletic department is about as prepared for this as they can be, and we're hardly alone. While not ideal, given that 2021-2022 is likely to be back to normal I'm not horribly concerned about this, but we aren't out of the woods either. That being said we have commitments for getting who we want, whomever that will be. We'll pay enough to get quality.

3. Kind of all over the place. Next 3 seasons are way up in the air and any place (behind Houston at this point) are possible. No doubt the AAC wants a strong WSU, but they also wanted UCONN. Now, your comments about realignment are spot on, but that was going to be an issue even if Gregg was here for 40 more seasons. It's going to be the gorilla in the closet, if not the room for a few years at least.

4. Nobody lives forever, but I have every confidence Chase will continue the support.

5. I don't disagree with you that the next 10 years are going to be interesting for Universities. Having a talented and strong president certainly would help WSU. We had a great one, but he was called home too soon. We hired an awful replacement. Let's hope we do better this time because it matters. Now is not the time to promote a professional student that wants to start a quidditch program and take yoga classes with the inclusion team while his dog destroys anything worthwhile on campus.

6. No it won't be, but it hasn't been for sometime either. I don't think it's quite as bad as you, but I could be wrong.

Comment

• Does our coach even use Koch’s jet? There are a lot of private jet owners in Wichita, Koch isn’t the only rich guy supporting the University despite the popular narrative. Was he involved in the 3G pay raise? I really don’t know the answer to these questions, but was under the impression that our coach and his jet were funded by donors outside of Koch.

Comment

Working...
                                X