2020-21 season?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

It seems to be a cautious approach based on the stats that say false negatives for a variety of reasons are far more common than false positives.
    Yes, far too cautious IMO. Are they testing players they are preventing from playing for antibodies? That seems pretty intrusive.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      I shook my head at the first rumors of players at various high level BCS type teams attempting to get Covid on purpose to get it out of the way during the summer time.

It's a real thing, by the way.

I'm starting to think that at least in this case, the kids are a lot smarter than at least I give them credit for being.

Am I the only one that thinks this should be the preferred course of action now? Seriously, I'm to the point that have these kids isolate when they aren't positive is a complete waste of time and energy and resources. Quarantine the positives? Ok. Anyone else, pass. Or just shut down, but this exercise is becoming a joke.
      I don't see the problem with this idea. We should just done herd immunity from the start. Get it and be done with it like chicken pox!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I find it very odd that they are preventing players with negative test results simply due to being "contact traced" to someone with a (potentially false) positive. It's ridiculous, honestly. They could be preventing someone with immunity from playing, for poop's sake.
        According to Keitha Adams the women's team has had a very few practices in which they could even scrimmage because they rarely have had as many as 10 players available. I think they have had some non-Covid related injuries as well. The women are allowed 15 scholarships but only have 14 on this year's roster and one of those is a Portuguese players that was not able to get to Wichita in time for the 1st semester. They have no walk ons. So basically a 13 player roster. Same as the guys.

Comment

It seems to be a cautious approach based on the stats that say false negatives for a variety of reasons are far more common than false positives.
          With certain tests yes false negatives are more common. It just depends on what testing method they are using.

Comment

Yes, far too cautious IMO. Are they testing players they are preventing from playing for antibodies? That seems pretty intrusive.
            I don’t see why they would do antibody tests or if it would even be cost effective or feasible.

Yes, if you wait 3-5 days before testing someone who was exposed to a positive case and that test comes back negative the person is most likely good. We do know that the incubation period can be up to 14 days but if you test negative at five days it is very unlikely, but not impossible, that you would would test positive in the next nine days.

That all of course assumes accurate tests which I think we have for the most part now. From my understanding the higher prevalence of false negatives comes from timing of the test, ie number of days after exposure, more so than a flaw with the tests themselves.

Hence, the discussion of the CDC possibly changing the quarantine period to seven days (with an accompanying negative test) rather than 14.

Guidelines changing isn’t something bad or good it’s just a result of us learning more about the virus and gathering more data upon which to make sound decisions.

Comment

I don’t see why they would do antibody tests or if it would even be cost effective or feasible.
              We have 5 guys not playing tomorrow. Only 2 tested positive. The other three tested negative and are sitting only because of contact tracing. Those three could have antibodies and if so, there would be no reason to make them sit. That's the problem.

Comment

We have 5 guys not playing tomorrow. Only 2 tested positive. The other three tested negative and are sitting only because of contact tracing. Those three could have antibodies and if so, there would be no reason to make them sit. That's the problem.
                So, you are proposing that all players who are exposed should receive both a regular test and the antibody test? I assume the antibody test would be done after receiving a negative regular test to avoid unnecessary costs.

CDC still recommends following the quarantine guidelines if you test positive for antibodies but have recently had symptoms or contact with someone who tested positive. I assume this is because there is still much we don’t know about how immunity works. The antibodies may protect you from getting sick but you may still be able to pass it to someone else. Or you may not. I don’t know, I’m not an epidemiologist or infectious disease expert.

The guidelines may ultimately be too conservative and end up being relaxed at some point. As much as I want to see the guys play and think that they would probably be ok even if they did get COVID, that’s not my decision to make. The coaches and university are responsible for the safety of the players and I don’t blame them for being cautions in these uncertain times.

Worrying about missing two games or two weeks or even one season is being short sighted in my opinion.

Comment

So, you are proposing that all players who are exposed should receive both a regular test and the antibody test? I assume the antibody test would be done after receiving a negative regular test to avoid unnecessary costs.
                  No, I'm proposing that if you test negative and show no symptoms, you play just like we have for the past 10-15 millenium of organized sport.

Comment

The data upon which those probabilities are calculated is rock solid. These predictions are incredibly reliable and useful at this point in the season.
                    Disinterested third party musings by ESPN; nothing says they are correct

Comment

• Also at https://goshockers.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule
                      Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• BTW, if you keep your calendar on your iPhone, you can sync the Shockers game/TV schedule to your calendar. I just checked and the TV for those three games has now been added to my iPhone calendar, and I didn’t have to make any edits on my own, they just magically appeared. Kudos to the athletic department for this nice feature!

Comment

• Originally posted by MadDog View Post
                          BTW, if you keep your calendar on your iPhone, you can sync the Shockers game/TV schedule to your calendar. I just checked and the TV for those three games has now been added to my iPhone calendar, and I didn’t have to make any edits on my own, they just magically appeared. Kudos to the athletic department for this nice feature!
                          Need more instructions on this. Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post

Agree... I’m old, tired and have minimal functioning brain cells.
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post

Go to GoShockers app.

Go to men’s basketball page.

Go to schedule page.

Tap calendar icon in top “your-right” corner

Accept/Yes/whatever (can’t remember and since I already added, I can’t do it again to see what it reads)

Shazam! WSU men’s basketball games appear in your calendar.
                              78-65

Comment

• You can also go to the schedule page at https://goshockers.com/sports/mens-basketball/schedule and toward the top is an 'Add to Calendar' option to click on and it gives you various calendar types to add things to. However, it doesn't provide any instructions - I think they just assume people who use calendars are familiar with how to add others. Personally I don't use any calendar software, so I do it the old fashioned way of just bookmarking the schedule page and looking at it every so often :)
                                Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

Working...
                                X