Potential Transfers into program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

I actually believe they stated they postponed the transfer rule vote to June so they could vote on giving seniors from this year an extra year. Makes sense as this is more urgent
    I thought that was only in the sports that had not been completed yet, i.e., baseball, track and field, etc.

Comment

• They are voting on both fall and spring sports, but it’s unlikely they will allow fall sports an exemption...

Comment

This is what I was trying to say. I really think Simon could have been a scholarship starter at a mid major program. The two in question here are great teammates but far from that level
        Agree about Simon.

The difference was that John Robert was getting meaningful minutes as a result of some injuries. As a result he developed confidence. Don't have the numbers in front of me and I'm too lazy to look them up but neither Brycen or Jacob got any game pressure minutes. This could change especially because Bush and Herrs have now played against high level D1 players for 3 years and the new guys will be learning. As I said earlier it is nice to have the luxury of Senior walk-ons, they know the system and as stated before are great teammates. Coach might not need them but they are still showing up.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post
          I saw earlier in this thread where the offensive rating of JB was compared to Gilbert. I hated to see JB go, but when you take a closer look JB inflated his numbers against the poor teams we played. His rating was much lower against good teams. In contrast, Gilbert actually had better ratings against better opponents.
          Here is the Kenpom Offensive rating comparison for the two.

JB / Gilbert

Overall: 101.2 / 92.4
          Tier A & B: 89.5 / 85.1
          Tier A: 93.7 / 86.6
          Conference. 95.9 / 91.4

You can make that argument against Sherfield and Stevenson, but I would disagree with you on the assessment with JB.

Comment

• Nm
            Last edited by MelvinLoudermilk; March 29, 2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
              I'm thinking that AG an JB will not only help our offense, but both will contribute to a stingy Shocker D-FENCE as though their hair is on fire. A. Gilbert will pester guards, slowing their efforts to get in their offense. Then once they finally work the play inside, JB will be waiting as the rim protector that swats away shots like a slingshot. Would like to see a smart defensive Shocker squad that defends well without excessive fouling.
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Advanced stats from sports reference, just showing that statistics do not necessarily reflect the eye of the beholder
                Player JB GS AG
                G 30 30 30
                GS 24 12 20
                MP 812 754 815
                PER 15.6 11.7 11.4
                TS% 0.515 0.471 0.455
                eFG% 0.486 0.409 0.416
                3PAr 0.245 0.367 0.44
                FTr 0.35 0.419 0.325
                PProd 327 255 281
                ORB% 5.2 1.4 1.8
                DRB% 8.9 11.9 9.1
                TRB% 7 6.5 5.4
                AST% 26.4 22.4 27.3
                STL% 1.7 1.9 2.3
                BLK% 0.6 0.4 0.4
                TOV% 18 17.8 20
                USG% 21.7 20.1 21.1
                OWS 1.3 0.5 0.4
                DWS 1.5 1.5 1.3
                WS 2.7 2 1.7
                WS/40 0.135 0.108 0.083
                OBPM 2.2 -0.2 0.6
                DBPM 2.5 2.7 0.7
                BPM 4.8 2.5 1.3
                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                ---------------------------------------
                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I actually believe they stated they postponed the transfer rule vote to June so they could vote on giving seniors from this year an extra year. Makes sense as this is more urgent
                  I have been surfing the web to see what's the latest on these two issues. I have not seen anywhere that it says they postponed the transfer rule vote so they could vote on giving seniors from this year an extra year. In fact, what I have found is that the NCAA is comtemplating delaying the vote most likely due to Covid-19 but that has not yet been officially determined.

As far as granting an extra year of eligibility it sounds like that vote is still schedule to take place Monday.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ief-explained/

https://www.star-telegram.com/sports...241526751.html

The most likely outcome is that they will grant relief for all spring sport athletes although it is possible they might limit that to just seniors. The D-II committee has already made that decision to apply to all spring athletes. That doesn't mean it will be easily implemented and not without issues.

Most people who play spring sports, such as baseball, tennis, golf, softball and track, were, at most, a few games into their 2020 seasons. There was even faint talk of extending the offer to winter sport athletes, some of whom were denied the chance to play for an NCAA basketball title in March Madness. However, that seems unlikely to happen.

From the Ft. Worth Star Star-Telegram article linked above:

Then the financial estimates started to be tabulated. Now that extra year of eligibility is in danger.

Although both NCAA Division II and the National Junior College Athletic Association have announced that spring sport athletes have been granted an extra year of eligibility, the biggest class in college athletics is not there.

The men and women who want to come back with their basketball teams for a run at the NCAA Tournament are likely done.

Now there is loud chatter that the spring sport athletes will lose their season, too. That 2020 will simply be a lost year for everyone althouth there is still a decent, not overwhelming, chance for the seniors to be granted an extra year.

Early estimates, to cover these sorts of costs, would mean an additional $1 million in expenses, at least, for an athletic department or university.

Note that this is not without cost to the student-athlete as well. Most spring sports (including all of WSU springs sports) are equivalency sports where very few, if any, athletes receive full scholarships.

On Monday, the NCAA is scheduled to vote whether student-athletes will be granted an exemption and an extra year of eligibility.
                  Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 29, 2020, 02:17 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                    I am glad he is coming. But let's not act like he will be a massive upgrade. The stats are not great.

Dude! AG is the Silver Bullet, and you're complaining what gun it's being fired out of. I'm only saying this because, Shocker Nation in it's entirety should be happy as well for this amazing get. Ecstatic. Huge upgrade.

Complaints all ​​year (actually since Fred graduated) about not having a pure PG. Now we get a 5* graduate senior pure pg. LITERALLY every core issue was addressed with this one player.

Comment

• You can’t really compare Gilbert seriously to our point guards. They didn’t play for the same team or coach. Any comparisons are really apples and oranges. Let’s see how Gilbert plays at WSU this coming year and then you can compare away after the season is over.

Comment

• Chaunce Jenkins commits to WSU!

Comment

• Originally posted by Arizona Shocker View Post
                          Chaunce Jenkins commits to WSU!
                          watch at :06

An absolutely insane slam dunk by Menchville senior Chaunce Jenkins has garnered national attention.

Made Sports Center Top 10

and the disrespect walking back over the "victim" lol

Comment

• Originally posted by MelvinLoudermilk View Post

watch at :06

An absolutely insane slam dunk by Menchville senior Chaunce Jenkins has garnered national attention.

Made Sports Center Top 10

and the disrespect walking back over the "victim" lol
                            Some on this board would go apesh!t if ES did that.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post

some might go apeshit about this too.
                              Last edited by MelvinLoudermilk; March 29, 2020, 02:52 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post

Who? What? Why? Former player, don’t care.

Comment

Working...
                                X