X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power 5 seeks athlete eligibility, other help - ESPN

Adam Rittenberg, Senior Writer
    posted: 3/30/20, 10:39 AM CT

"Student-athlete leaders from the Power 5 conferences are seeking an extra year of eligibility for college athletes who didn't complete their seasons, as well as support for housing and food, as the NCAA Division I Council plans to vote Monday on eligibility relief in the wake of the COVID-19 outbreak....

The group also recommends that the Division I Council grant eligibility relief to all athletes participating in spring sports, as well as those in winter sports who qualified for the postseason but could not compete. The NCAA on March 12 canceled all remaining winter sports championships, including the men's and women's basketball tournaments, as well as all spring sports championships. ..."

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock Reaper View Post
      Power 5 seeks athlete eligibility, other help - ESPN

Adam Rittenberg, Senior Writer
      posted: 3/30/20, 10:39 AM CT

"Student-athlete leaders from the Power 5 conferences are seeking an extra year of eligibility for college athletes who didn't complete their seasons, as well as support for housing and food, as the NCAA Division I Council plans to vote Monday on eligibility relief in the wake of the COVID-19 outbreak....

The group also recommends that the Division I Council grant eligibility relief to all athletes participating in spring sports, as well as those in winter sports who qualified for the postseason but could not compete. The NCAA on March 12 canceled all remaining winter sports championships, including the men's and women's basketball tournaments, as well as all spring sports championships. ..."
      ...qualified for the postseason but could not compete...

So, any school who finished their conference tournament and was not going to get an at large invitation (determined by who?) would not get any extra eligibility?
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

...qualified for the postseason but could not compete...

So, any school who finished their conference tournament and was not going to get an at large invitation (determined by who?) would not get any extra eligibility?
        The determined by who part will be interesting .. my guess is that IF it passes (which is unlikely) there were be a really easy waiver process for anyone that can remotely make a case from the mid-major leagues.

Comment

• There are 350 Division 1 schools with basketball. 116 Schools get postseasons when the NIT and CBI are included, meaning easily 1/3 of the schools could argue they had a post-season shot.

Comment

• Other than just general pessimism towards the NCAA why are we so sure it’s not going to happen? Just too much of a hurdle logistically and financially? It seems to have quite a bit of support among the coaching community even up to Mike Krzkskskdksksy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wooglin View Post
              There are 350 Division 1 schools with basketball. 116 Schools get postseasons when the NIT and CBI are included, meaning easily 1/3 of the schools could argue they had a post-season shot.
              Yes very true .. but then you start down the funnel.

Eliminate teams that had no post season chances - There goes 2/3rd of the NCAA

Eliminate non-seniors - There is another X percent

Eliminate players who don't WANT to come back (going pro, don't want to go to class another year etc etc) - eliminate another X percent.

It think you would actually end up with a pretty small overall % that would qualify and apply for this.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
                Other than just general pessimism towards the NCAA why are we so sure it’s not going to happen? Just too much of a hurdle logistically and financially? It seems to have quite a bit of support among the coaching community even up to Mike Krzkskskdksksy.
                The leagues that would likely most qualify for this are the Major leagues ... which are also the ones with the money to spend on extra scholarships. There could be some interesting cases in the smaller leagues if a school couldn't afford an extra scholarship .. how do they handle that? Schools are already getting a smaller payout this year due to the tourney being cancelled.

Comment

Other than just general pessimism towards the NCAA why are we so sure it’s not going to happen? Just too much of a hurdle logistically and financially? It seems to have quite a bit of support among the coaching community even up to Mike Krzkskskdksksy.
                  "Mike Krzkskskdksksy"

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post

The leagues that would likely most qualify for this are the Major leagues ... which are also the ones with the money to spend on extra scholarships. There could be some interesting cases in the smaller leagues if a school couldn't afford an extra scholarship .. how do they handle that? Schools are already getting a smaller payout this year due to the tourney being cancelled.
                    I could see that being an issue if this was a new rule that would extend into the future. With it being a one time deal I would hope that the money could be found one way or the other. Maybe not.

Comment

I recall reading about a million per school... yikes!
                      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I've found in life that most people and organizations make decisions based on self preservation rather than what is morally correct. If it an acceptable financial hit to the NCAA, they will allow it under certain circumstances. If it didn't hurt them, they should open the floodgates to all student athletes. My guess if they do allow the additional year, it will be on a limited basis.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I recall reading about a million per school... yikes!
                          I would guess that is because its not just basketball. There are thousands of senior student athletes across the country playing sports that generate negative revenues.

Comment

• So down to two scholarship with the latest commitment. Gotta figure 1 big and maybe 1 last PG?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                              Wouldn't be a surprise if that kid ends up committing, to WSU or elsewhere, faster than April 4th.

Some recruits have said they were going to wait until they could take official visits, but then a couple days later committed somewhere.

The Assman

Comment

So down to two scholarship with the latest commitment. Gotta figure 1 big and maybe 1 last PG?
                                So are you already counting the player who Taylor Eldridge claims will be committing on April 4th or are you assuming 3G will only use 12 of his 13 scholarships? If the former is true what position will that player fill?

If it is neither of the two above options don't we have 3 open scholarships remaining?

Comment

Working...
                                X