Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the primary issue plaguing our Shockers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post
    Honest question, after their freshman seasons, did anyone see VanVleet, Baker or Shamet as future NBA guys?
    Shamet's rFF year? Yes.
    The Assman

Comment

The Assman

Comment

Honest question, after their freshman seasons, did anyone see VanVleet, Baker or Shamet as future NBA guys?
        Shamet definitely, Baker maybe, VanVleet, too short and too slow...lol at me on that one.

For the record I thought McDuffie was a mortal lock after his Sophomore year.
        Last edited by BOBB; March 6, 2020, 12:02 PM.
        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

I agree with needing a true point guard. Burton has don an admiral job, but to me he’s more of a two or three not a point. Poor shooting is a big problem, we’ve had tons of open looks and point blank layups missed and those affect momentum and cause doubt. Especially on a young team. Our frontline doesn’t cause most opposing teams fear and puts a lot of pressure on our guards to hit shots which we haven’t done this year. We need a true point guard and athletic 6’8 scorer who’s strong and consistent and we will see a much different team. We just don’t have someone who can score off the dribble with any consistency. Ball handling and creating off the dribble isn’t a strength like it was in the past

Comment

Maybe Shamet after his first full season. Kid can stroke it. I don't think anyone could have seen FVV in the league, and definitely not playing at an almost All-Star level. I actually thought Ron had a better path as a spot up shooter type.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackmag View Post
              I agree with needing a true point guard. Burton has don an admiral job, but to me he’s more of a two or three not a point. Poor shooting is a big problem, we’ve had tons of open looks and point blank layups missed and those affect momentum and cause doubt. Especially on a young team. Our frontline doesn’t cause most opposing teams fear and puts a lot of pressure on our guards to hit shots which we haven’t done this year. We need a true point guard and athletic 6’8 scorer who’s strong and consistent and we will see a much different team. We just don’t have someone who can score off the dribble with any consistency. Ball handling and creating off the dribble isn’t a strength like it was in the past
              Agree. We need someone that can get inside and finish.

I wonder if GM tried to play the 4 guard shooter game and it didn't translate to his style? And got caught without that guy.

His teams are good when we had power forwards...

Kyle Wilson
              Carl Hall
              Early
              McDuffie

Maybe Gordon will be that guy. I thought he would be when we recruited him.
              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post

Shamet definitely, Baker maybe, VanVleet, too short and too slow...lol at me on that one.

For the record I thought McDuffie was a mortal lock after his Sophomore year.
                I thought Dex was last year.

Remember when people were saying Jamie was a NBA'er? Lmao, this site is funny, man.

Comment

I watched all the videos of FVV's AAU games after his HS Jr year, I watched him play against 3 of the top-5 rated PG's in HS - all classes. Those PG's were quicker and flashier than FVV, but FVV was clearly a better PG than those guys. I thought he had NBA potential.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                    I watched all the videos of FVV's AAU games after his HS Jr year, I watched him play against 3 of the top-5 rated PG's in HS - all classes. Those PG's were quicker and flashier than FVV, but FVV was clearly a better PG than those guys. I thought he had NBA potential.
                    What's your day job? Can we get you going to some more AAU games, please?

Comment

I honestly think the problem is coaching. Dexter, Tyson, Erick … these are all talented guys, unfortunately there is just absolutely no movement in our offense and they are routinely forced into bad shots at the end of the shot clock—making them look like subpar players. I am beginning to wonder if Marshall is having a hard time adapting to the way the game has transitioned in the past several years. I also think the loss of Jans and Heiar is still a void that hasn't been filled. On top of everything else, I think Marshall's personal style may be beating some guys down.

Lastly, can we seriously call a time out to avoid a game getting completely out of hand?

Comment

I wasn't sure about NBA for Fred until after his soph year. However, I could definitely tell he was a legit D1 PG from his high school tapes and knew he had All-League potential after his freshman year. We maybe have 1 guy on this team that can be a 1st teamer by senior year. We don't need NBA players to win the league, but we do need All League caliber players.

Comment

Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post

What's your day job? Can we get you going to some more AAU games, please?
                          Can't help you there. FVV had already committed. I had nothing to do with finding him. I believe it was Dana Ford who did that.
                          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Lack of solid big men. Could get away with it in MVC but not this league. Opponents attack the goal when they know there is only one big to stop them and a lot of the times they seal off the one big to pave the way to the goal. Should build a team from the inside out making sure we always have a solid pt guard to go with 2 good bigs and fill in the rest from that base. Loading up on guards is not going to work with GM's style of offense without the bigs.

Comment

Originally posted by WUs Your Daddy II View Post
                              I honestly think the problem is coaching. Dexter, Tyson, Erick … these are all talented guys, unfortunately there is just absolutely no movement in our offense and they are routinely forced into bad shots at the end of the shot clock—making them look like subpar players. I am beginning to wonder if Marshall is having a hard time adapting to the way the game has transitioned in the past several years. I also think the loss of Jans and Heiar is still a void that hasn't been filled. On top of everything else, I think Marshall's personal style may be beating some guys down.

Lastly, can we seriously call a time out to avoid a game getting completely out of hand?
                              DING ! DING! DING! Folks, we have a winner !!

Comment

Originally posted by WUs Your Daddy II View Post

I don't think I can dismiss this as easily as I probably should; I know HCGM was unhappy with the recruiting that previous assistants were doing. Perhaps the assistants haven't jelled as well. Who know what kind of buffer current assistants provide compared to previous re: Marshall's style, but I know that's important. I heard HCGM state he wasn't going to go off last game until one of the assistants did. If there isn't a positive voice, a mentor to lean on, ANY head coach's natural aggressiveness can wear.

Having said this, my general reply is that it isn't one issue but a combo of issues likely at play. Without a CLEAR leader, be that a FVV type, a scorer type, a "go to" type, any team will have ups and downs. Look at most NCAA teams this year; few haven't had blips at times.

So, as always, what will we look like going into post-season? The play in the AAC tourney may dictate many futures in the program. Flop and I wouldn't be surprised to see several changes, players and staff included.

Comment

Working...
                                X