• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post
    Gregg Marshall: 13 years, 329-120, 7 NCAAs (in a row), 25.3 wins per year

Mark Turgeon: 7 years, 128-90, 1 NCAA. 18.3 wins per year

Gene Smithson: 8 years, 155-81, 2 NCAAs, 19.4 wins per year

Ralph Miller: 13 years, 220-133, 1 NCAA, 16.2 wins per year

Analysis: I have only been a fan since 2016-17, but how are any of these coaches better than GM? Are you serious? One of these coaches led WSU to a new and better conference, guess which one that is.
    As context has already been provided to your annual win rates; let me address your analysis: One of those coaches has been a member of the Coaches Hall of Fame for more years than you probably have lived. His record was built coaching in conferences with superior competition than the other two. Regards enabling WSU to leave an inferior conference for a better conference, that coach led WSU in a conference that was widely recognized as the best conference in the country.

You might also want to consider the fact that only 22-25 teams were invited to the NCAA tournament during that coaches tenure at WSU.
    Last edited by Shocker1976; February 29, 2020, 05:43 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackmag View Post
      Phog Allen greatest coach of all time? That’s really laughable considering the talent level back then. Your really showing your age there.
      I may be showing my age but perhaps you are showing your lack of knowledge regarding the history and evolution of coaching basketball.

As I posted previously, I am no fan of the Beakers but I try to remain objective regards their basketball history. Were you aware that after Phog Allen had recruited IMO the greatest basketball player of all time to play for the Beakers the brilliant Kansas Board of Regents forced Phog to retire?

Comment

• Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post

You might want to recheck your earlier posts where you said WSU should hire Chris Jans and Steve Forbes after they fire Marshall. Both assistants and neither have a track record like our current coach had when he was hired.

Please keep going.. What else does WSU need to do?
        You might want to re-read my earlier post; you won't find the words "...WSU should hire" in that post.

Your postings on this board IMO indicate you lack reading comprehension skills and preach to an agenda (yours). Please try to do better in the future should you elect to continue posting.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I am impressed with ALL that you know about KU. I didn't know most of that or care about it. You must be a dual fan.
          No not a fan of the Beakers; I grew-up on a Kansas wheat farm as a fan of college basketball (very similar to Ron Baker but my parents were not teachers/basketball coaches). I am surprised that you "...didn't care about it."; perhaps you were not raised in rural Kansas?

Comment

• So, is Gary Sheffield gonna play in the next game or not? I always liked his batting stance.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

You might want to re-read my earlier post; you won't find the words "...WSU should hire" in that post.

Your postings on this board IMO indicate you lack reading comprehension skills and preach to an agenda (yours). Please try to do better in the future should you elect to continue posting.
              you said
              Three coaches I hope Boatright has on speed dial are Chris Jans (NMSU), Steve Forbes (ETSU) and Bob Richey (Furman). IMO any of the three would be an excellent replacement for Marshall at less than a third of the current annual salary paid to Marshall.
              Please point out the part that you are not suggesting three former assistants which have very small to no track record as a head coach should be WSU's head coach instead of Gregg Marshall.
              Please tell me again what my agenda is?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                So, is Gary Sheffield gonna play in the next game or not? I always liked his batting stance.
                I hear he has poor splits against Lefties on days that start with S after day games.

I type that to be silly but Im pretty sure we could find that stat somewhere on someone.

Comment

• Why is anyone even acknowledging 1976? Just laughable!

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Love David Kyles but really dude?
                    Kyles > Stevenson
                    Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by bleednblackngold View Post
                      Why is anyone even acknowledging 1976? Just laughable!
                      cover2.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post

you said

Please point out the part that you are not suggesting three former assistants which have very small to no track record as a head coach should be WSU's head coach instead of Gregg Marshall.
                        Please tell me again what my agenda is?
                        First off I don't know what your agenda is - do you? Your posts to me are problematic on whatever topic you are addressing.

OK, you now recognize that I am "suggesting" WSU consider coaches of this caliber when they wish/need to replace Marshall. Marshall has publicly stated that he wants/will retire at age 60, correct? If he holds true to his public statement, then WSU (read AD Boatright) should IMO be planning for his departure which would include generating a list of potential replacements. By dong this WSU can effectively manage the replacement process and avoid hiring mistakes (read Thompson, Miller, Cohen, etc.).

Experience informs us the list will have to be fluid because the coaching arena in college basketball is fluid. I recommended Forbes (HC record 255-77) and Jans (HC record 101-29) due to their history with WSU. As both of them are currently averaging more than 20 victories a season their HC records will be even more impressive in three years. Both have a historical relationship with WSU but their ages (Forbes will be 57 years old in three years and Jans will be 53) leads me to place them lower on a parallel ranking list.

Bob Richey will be 40 years old in three years and his current HC record is 71-25. He too is averaging more than 20 victories a season, so in three years he could easily surpass 100 victories as a Head Coach. Mr Richey would be very high on my parallel ranked list as IMO he could be a coach for the future like Jay Wright has proven to be at Villanova (40 years old when hired, 7 years as HC at Hofstra, 122-85). Wright's HC record at Villanova in 19 years is 470-181, two National Championships in three Final Four appearances.

I could list other comparable hires of Head Coaches but Coach Wright clearly demonstrates what I hope WSU does when Marshall leaves the bench (IMO the sooner the better if Boatright has in hand a quality parallel ranked list of potential replacement coaches). By completing this exercise I will also point out WSU can avoid hiring a replacement coach with Marshall's abundantly visible negative qualities which reflect poorly on the University.

Comment

• Originally posted by bleednblackngold View Post
                          Why is anyone even acknowledging 1976? Just laughable!
                          What is laughable about planning for Marshall's departure? In my 45 year work career I learned the old adage is true "A failure to plan is a plan to fail.

Are you laughing because I no longer want to put up with a petulant, spoiled coach who IMO is very unlikely to:
                          1. ever win the AAC conference championship
                          2. ever win the AAC conference tournament
                          3. establish a winning record against Cincinnati and Houston
                          If routinely finishing third or lower in the AAC rankings is your goal for the Shockers then enjoy your days with Marshall as HC. IMO Marshall is a great coach when competing in a mid-tier conference but not so great when competing in a Top 6 conference.
                          Last edited by Shocker1976; February 29, 2020, 02:41 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by N Crestway View Post

Thanks... That's what I halfway remember regarding Ernie Moore. I always suspected that Ralph left at least partly due to Dave Stallworth's eligibility running out midway through the '65 season. If he was looking to get out there was no better time than after taking the program to the Elite 8 level.
                            I was living on South crestway and remember seeing a local TV sports broadcast of Ernie Moore ebing asked about his academic suspension and he repilied "I'm here to play basketball, not to attend class."
                            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                            ---------------------------------------
                            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post

Dave's eligibility ended mid-season and Nate became academically ineligible; but the roster was good enough for the inept Gary Thompson to reach the Final Four.

I was just a kid with no insight into why Ralph left the Shockers to go to of all places Iowa. That was a bad time for my friends and me.
                              I seem to remember things like "hung in effigy" regarding Ralph, but it may have been Jack Mitchell at beakerland.
                              "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                              ---------------------------------------
                              Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                              "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                              "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post

I’d guess how to put the ball in the basket
                                That aint it.

Comment

Working...
                                X