• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FadedCrown View Post
    Gregg Marshall: 13 years, 329-120, 7 NCAAs (in a row), 25.3 wins per year

Mark Turgeon: 7 years, 128-90, 1 NCAA. 18.3 wins per year

Gene Smithson: 8 years, 155-81, 2 NCAAs, 19.4 wins per year

Ralph Miller: 13 years, 220-133, 1 NCAA, 16.2 wins per year

Analysis: I have only been a fan since 2016-17, but how are any of these coaches better than GM? Are you serious? One of these coaches led WSU to a new and better conference, guess which one that is.
    There needs to be some context to all of this, some of which is there, but not fully stated.

1) The average number of games played each "era": Miller - 27.1, Smithson - 29.5, Turgeon - 31.1, Marshall - 34.5. Some of this is the number of post seasons played, but most is the number of regular season games and the number of rounds in different post season tournaments.

2) Miller coached during an era when the MVC was one of the best national conferences (at times, better than our current conference). Smithson coached during the early fall of the MVC and Turgeon near the bottom of the conference. Most of Marshall's wins (and number of post-tournaments) came from a conference that had hit its bottom, however, proved his teams' worth in tournament play. I'd say the jury is still out at how well he does in our much improved current conference.

I'm not disagreeing with your main point of Marshall's worth.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post

If we want to be a program that rises to the top of the conference on a wave of upperclassmen every 3-4 years, then terrific.
      This is not at all what I’m saying. Rebuilding means tooling the roster so that the young guys aren’t the main leaders until they’re ready. Toure’s group graduates, in came Fred and Ron, they graduate in came Landry and Markus, etc. To use a cliche it’s called get old and stay old. It’s what Marshall has done at WSU with the exception of one year where **** hit the fan all at once. It’s what he’s doing with the current team. There have been bumps along the way but the talent is there and the improvement year to year is obvious.

I guess it’s ok for Roy to have a down year where they might not even make the NIT. They also missed in 2010. Jay Wright and Villanova missed NCAA in 2012 (no NIT, 13-19 record), UK missed in 2013. Until last year there were like 7 schools with longer NCAA streaks than us. KU, Michigan State, Gonzaga, Duke, Cinci, UNC.

Comment

Kwadzo Ahelegbe, Tuttle and O'Rear would start for us.
        So? Ahelegbe and O’Rear were upper classmen on a really good UNI team that went to the sweet 16 and beat KU. Tuttle was an upperclassman on a top 15 team.

Comment

• Does anybody know what it is that Grant Sherfield has to figure out?

Comment

If a wholesale upgrade in talent was needed, that is not what we got. Sophomore year Toure Murry, David Kyles, Tekele Cotton either of Coleby or Lufile would start for this team right now. Echinique is the only player demanding time on our past squads and anywhere near an all conference player.
            Coleby or Lufile would not start over Echinique. They would be nice as back ups though. Funny, they were both upper classmen.

Toure Murray was a shocker great. He had couple stints in the NBA. His team went 17-17 (8-10) in the Valley his sophomore year.

Tekele Cotton is a shocker legend who played in a final four and sweet 16. He would start for the 15-16 GSW.

Love David Kyles but really dude?

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post
              Tekele Cotton is a shocker legend who played in a final four and sweet 16. He would start for the 15-16 GSW.
              He what?

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                I can see getting notes about not mentioning a kid sitting out a game (not saying it happened that way or was right, just that I can see it) but I listened to a little of the radio replay and honestly couldn't believe it when Erik fouled up four under 4 seconds and Mike and Dave never missed a beat. Not even an awkward pause. No questioning the officials either. It was odd, to say the least.
                I had the exact same reaction and post in the game thread as well. It’s one thing to do a little sugarcoating cuz you don’t wanna piss anybody off. But you gotta show a little more honesty during gameplay when something obvious that makes no sense occurs. I was actually a little insulted and quite dumbfounded listening to it live.
                Deuces Valley.
                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post

He what?
                  My attempt at a Bill Brasky-esque joke.

Or if you were trying to decipher my shorthand, the 2015-2016 Golden State Warriors who won 73 regular season games.

Comment

• Originally posted by N Crestway View Post

Why couldn't Ernie Moore play in that 8 game or perhaps the tournament? Injury or eligibility? That may have determined the outcome.
                    eligibility
                    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                    ---------------------------------------
                    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

I'll give you the Teddy situation, but top teams lose players to the NBA and transfer every year and reload not rebuild.

Comment

• Put Shamet alone with this team would have made a huge difference. Remember we lost back to back games on one possession. One thing we don’t have is a consistent outside threat and Shamet is that and more

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post

eligibility
                          Thanks... That's what I halfway remember regarding Ernie Moore. I always suspected that Ralph left at least partly due to Dave Stallworth's eligibility running out midway through the '65 season. If he was looking to get out there was no better time than after taking the program to the Elite 8 level.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                            Does anybody know what it is that Grant Sherfield has to figure out?
                            I’d guess how to put the ball in the basket

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                              found this interesting

Verbal Commits
                              @VerbalCommits
                              ·
                              3h
                              2025 Moravian Prep (NC) G Eli Ellis has received an offer from Southern Miss.

my wife calls it "cut and paste"
                              Why? Future recruit?
                              Last edited by ShockingButTrue; February 29, 2020, 05:33 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by N Crestway View Post

Thanks... That's what I halfway remember regarding Ernie Moore. I always suspected that Ralph left at least partly due to Dave Stallworth's eligibility running out midway through the '65 season. If he was looking to get out there was no better time than after taking the program to the Elite 8 level.
                                Dave's eligibility ended mid-season and Nate became academically ineligible; but the roster was good enough for the inept Gary Thompson to reach the Final Four.

I was just a kid with no insight into why Ralph left the Shockers to go to of all places Iowa. That was a bad time for my friends and me.

Comment

Working...
                                X