No announcement yet.

Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yeah, and Garrett Stutz SUCKS so badly, a top 20 team builds its defensive game plan around stopping HIM.

Maybe you should come up and actually watch Garrett play @Dan:.

Toure played a great game. GREAT game. 2 of his turnovers were players not coming out to the ball, and allowing UNLV to step in front of them. One was the charge. One bad pass. 8 assists, and numerous times penetrating and kicking out to teammates that made that 1 extra pass to the open player.

Comment

• Ragland made a comment I ran into that pretty much said that Murry (or maybe he said the "other guys") were beting their defenders on drives and that was leaving him open. Then Murry would just pass the ball to Ragland for the open shot.

Maybe someone with better basketball IQ than mine could help me out. It seems that Marshall uses Murry like an option quarterback in football. Try to get a step on his guy. Then read the defense. If Ragland's guy makes a move to cut Murry off from a drive to the basket, feed Ragland. This seems to happen very early in the process instead of the usual dribble-drive that penetrates to within 15' before there's a kick out.

Functionally, Ragland is the PG for bringing the ball up and for setting the offense. When the ball is in Murry's hands, he takes over the role of PG because he's the best we've got at penetrating and finishing at the basket. If Murry is the guy running the equivalent of what an option quaterback does in FB then he's the guy most likely to rack up the TO's because he's handling the ball in the highest-risk situations.

If the defender on the other guard (last night that was Ragland) doesn't cheat to stop penetration, Murry's only option is to continue driving to the hoop. If the front-line defenders aren't properly sealed off, Murry ends up in no man's land. Again with the football analogy, if the option play is properly defended, the quarterback is often left with no choice but to take a hit behind the line of scrimmage.

In basketball, this all happens so fast, and the players are moving to such precise locations so quickly, that all I really see is that the defense left Ragland open and Murry found him. It's sounding like what really happens is that Murry CAUSED Ragland to be undefended, not that the defense sagged off of him. Then Murry read the defense and while dribbling as fast as he can, made the decision, and the pass that gave Ragland the open 3.

I'm starting to see why Murry leads the team in TO's. Murry is the guy whi gets the high risk plays assigned to him.

Am I on the right trtack, or am I just fooling myself?
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
        Ragland made a comment I ran into that pretty much said that Murry (or maybe he said the "other guys") were beting their defenders on drives and that was leaving him open. Then Murry would just pass the ball to Ragland for the open shot.

Maybe someone with better basketball IQ than mine could help me out. It seems that Marshall uses Murry like an option quarterback in football. Try to get a step on his guy. Then read the defense. If Ragland's guy makes a move to cut Murry off from a drive to the basket, feed Ragland. This seems to happen very early in the process instead of the usual dribble-drive that penetrates to within 15' before there's a kick out.

Functionally, Ragland is the PG for bringing the ball up and for setting the offense. When the ball is in Murry's hands, he takes over the role of PG because he's the best we've got at penetrating and finishing at the basket. If Murry is the guy running the equivalent of what an option quaterback does in FB then he's the guy most likely to rack up the TO's because he's handling the ball in the highest-risk situations.

If the defender on the other guard (last night that was Ragland) doesn't cheat to stop penetration, Murry's only option is to continue driving to the hoop. If the front-line defenders aren't properly sealed off, Murry ends up in no man's land. Again with the football analogy, if the option play is properly defended, the quarterback is often left with no choice but to take a hit behind the line of scrimmage.

I'm starting to see why Murry leds the team in TO's. Murry is the guy with gets the high risk plays assigned to him.

Am I on the right trtack, or am I just fooling myself?
        Yes and no. First part, yes. That is simple way to attack a defense. Murry also makes some bad decisions when that doesn't work out. But on the whole - he is a bucket full of awesome. To date, anyway.

Comment

• While Stutz looked like he was stuck in mud much of the game, I think the bunnies he did get in the second half were a result of defenders pinching towards others (like the BEAST) and creating an open look. The more guys we get that require double team attention, the better off we will be, so long as we can then kick the ball to the open man.
          Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            Sometimes, from some people, the expectations laid at the feet of the players and the program is completely out of bounds.

Yes, if Toure had zero turnovers instead of 4 he would be better. Ever think he gets 8 assists because he is putting pressure on the other team?

Good gravy, Toure' Murry was as good as anyone in the country yesterday at both ends of the court. The rest of the team was pretty salty too. Enjoy it!

And I hope the noodlehead that was caller 1 on the post game show has the guts to show his face here and take the verbal assault he deserves. There aren't words yet that correctly define that level of stupidity.
            I've said it before, I'll say it 'til I turn blue ... play-makers get their fare share of turnovers. No way around it. Kemba Walker. QED.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Last four tweets from Coach Dave Rice of UNLV.

CoachDaveRice Dave Rice

Just landed in Vegas. Good start to our season, but tough one today. We will learn from it. Ready to get back to work.

13 hours ago

CoachDaveRice Dave Rice

Made it to Wichita after 3 hr delay. Is this what was meant by MW /Missouri Valley CHALLENGE? Or would it have been landing without brakes?

3 Dec

CoachDaveRice Dave Rice

Connection in Dallas to Wichita delayed... Mechanics have to replace the brakes on our plane. We are the Runnin' Rebels. Do we need brakes??

2 Dec

CoachDaveRice Dave Rice

Practice today at home before we travel to Wichita. Grateful to Cox Cable for making commitment to get Sunday's game on TV.

2 Dec

Comment

• What did Fever do to get himself banned?

Comment

• I watched the game again today. Stutz got abused out of the gate by the Swedish whale, but when I was paying close attention, it was Rags that caused Garrett to look slow to react (and pick up one foul) on two of the three baskets...thank you Bob Lutz for pointing that out. GS also got stuffed once in the second by the 6-11 Puerto Rican kid. Otherwise, GS looked really good all game!

Murry had the four TOs, but he did a good job defending the MWC pre-season POY. Good all-around game as has been stated.

Ragland went nuts! I think it's wonderful that he is getting the well deserved attention for the outstanding offensive outburst we all witnessed. I hope he continues to find success within the flow of the offense.

The Beast was unstoppable!!! He was a crude bruiser that just took it straight in to the defender and then elevated over them with one great finish after another. Total old school effort and it was automatic. He didn't tally the huge number of boards, but I noticed that he was constantly blocking out either the Swedish whale or the nation's leading rebounder and allowing our guards to pick up the easy board. He is so good!!!

Kyles quietly had a nice game and is very good at entering the ball to the post (something Joe is not good at). DWill, Benny Boom, and Cotton also showed tremendous D and hustle during their minutes. Without their quality minutes UNLV makes a run and Joe doesn't have the opportunity to score 31.

Visited the Rebels sight, and it showed what a classy group of fans they are. Very little complaining about the refs (hard to do in a 20 point loss) and gave a ton of props to the Shockers noting that our guards were stronger and quicker than their guards and that the defensive pressure of our Shockers was the best they've seen (and they pride themselves on being a good defensive team with strong athletic guards). Also were very upset that our posts were better than their posts, but they were thankful that they wouldn't have to face two bigs as good as Hall and Stutz in MWC conference season.
                  Last edited by wufan; December 5, 2011, 03:00 PM. Reason: Corrected Conference
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• Just for future reference, wufan, they are in the MWC. Not trying to be a d.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                      I watched the game again today. Stutz got abused out of the gate by the Swedish whale, but when I was paying close attention, it was Rags that caused Garrett to look slow to react (and pick up one foul) on two of the three baskets...thank you Bob Lutz for pointing that out. GS also got stuffed once in the second by the 6-11 Puerto Rican kid. Otherwise, GS looked really good all game!

Murry had the four TOs, but he did a good job defending the WAC pre-season POY. Good all-around game as has been stated.

Ragland went nuts! I think it's wonderful that he is getting the well deserved attention for the outstanding offensive outburst we all witnessed. I hope he continues to find success within the flow of the offense.

The Beast was unstoppable!!! He was a crude bruiser that just took it straight in to the defender and then elevated over them with one great finish after another. Total old school effort and it was automatic. He didn't tally the huge number of boards, but I noticed that he was constantly blocking out either the Swedish whale or the nation's leading rebounder and allowing our guards to pick up the easy board. He is so good!!!

Kyles quietly had a nice game and is very good at entering the ball to the post (something Joe is not good at). DWill, Benny Boom, and Cotton also showed tremendous D and hustle during their minutes. Without their quality minutes UNLV makes a run and Joe doesn't have the opportunity to score 31.

Visited the Rebels sight, and it showed what a classy group of fans they are. Very little complaining about the refs (hard to do in a 20 point loss) and gave a ton of props to the Shockers noting that our guards were stronger and quicker than their guards and that the defensive pressure of our Shockers was the best they've seen (and they pride themselves on being a good defensive team with strong athletic guards). Also were very upset that our posts were better than their posts, but they were thankful that they wouldn't have to face two bigs as good as Hall and Stutz in WAC conference season.
                      I understand that Garrett didn't play many minutes first half, but I wonder how many times you saw Ragland pass Stutz the ball. Not only in the post, but anywhere on the floor.

Comment

• I think it's been less than 5 for the season
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                          I think it's been less than 5 for the season
                          I would love to hear an explanation for why that is, if it's anywhere close to true. The last thing we need is a chemistry issue.

Comment

• Anybody know why Rags got yanked about a minute and a half into the game??

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                              Anybody know why Rags got yanked about a minute and a half into the game??
                              Missed defensive assignments. He got beat twice, resulting in the first four UNLV points.

Comment

• It was Stutz guy who was the beneficiary of Rags miss on the screens, making Stutz look bad...
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X