Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
    Anybody know why Rags got yanked about a minute and a half into the game??
    From Bob Lutz' post-game column:

On its first two offensive possessions, UNLV got the ball inside to 6-foot-10 Brice Massamba. The first time, he dunked over Wichita State's Garrett Stutz. The second time he made an easy lay-in.
    And just like that it was 4-0, Runnin' Rebels, less than a minute into Sunday's game at Koch Arena.
    The Shocker player most responsible for making those first four points so easy, apparently, was senior guard Joe Ragland, who failed to react properly to UNLV ball screens. It was Ragland who was pulled from the game by an angry WSU coach, Gregg Marshall, who first stared a hole through Ragland, then filled that hole with hot sauce.
    And when Marshall was finished, Shocker assistant Chris Jans got in his tongue lashing at Ragland, screaming in a way that made his ears red.
    It was not the kind of start Ragland was hoping for.
    But then there were the other 39 minutes. And Ragland was magnificent in every one of them.

Read more:
    http://www.kansas.com/2011/12/04/2127779/bob-lutz-ragland-answers-call.html#ixzz1fhbeePFR

Comment

• I'm not going too read much into Rags not passsing it to Garrett at least in the UNLV game. I think Joe only had 3 assists so he was hardly passing it to anyone in scoring position. On the other hand Rags caused Toure, Garrett, DK and others to pick up quite few assists by knocking down 89% of his treys in the game. The flow of the game kinda dictated that Rags was on the receiving end more than the giving end on Sunday.

I will say I did not agree with the play picked as the Wichita Eagle Delivery of the game which was the alley oop from Toure to DK. It really was not a great delivery but DK did make a great reception and put down to save the play.

I thought the following were all better deliveries:
      1. Following a run-out after a strong defensive rebound by DK he hit a streaking Toure with about a half-court bounce pass that Toure made a nice strong finish on.
      2. Toure drove into the middle of the lane and made a nice left-handed dish to the Beast for a layup.
      3. Midway or so through the second half Joe brought the ball down the left side of the court, passed to the corner to DK (??) who immediately hit Garrett coming of a baseline screen for any easy two.

I'm sure there were a number of others I'm misremembering.

Manly Move of the Game would of course belong to the Beast (although I also like the Predator as a nickname for Carl Hall because he is big-time rebound hunter). Carl's short jump shot rimmed out back to his side of the basket. He simply mandhandled Mike Moser in ripping down the offensive rebound and putting it back for two.

The guys is simply a big-time ball magnet.

Toure's slam-down of D-Wills missed driving layup weren't none to bad either.
      Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 5, 2011, 05:14 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        From Bob Lutz' post-game column:

On its first two offensive possessions, UNLV got the ball inside to 6-foot-10 Brice Massamba. The first time, he dunked over Wichita State's Garrett Stutz. The second time he made an easy lay-in.
        And just like that it was 4-0, Runnin' Rebels, less than a minute into Sunday's game at Koch Arena.
        The Shocker player most responsible for making those first four points so easy, apparently, was senior guard Joe Ragland, who failed to react properly to UNLV ball screens. It was Ragland who was pulled from the game by an angry WSU coach, Gregg Marshall, who first stared a hole through Ragland, then filled that hole with hot sauce.
        And when Marshall was finished, Shocker assistant Chris Jans got in his tongue lashing at Ragland, screaming in a way that made his ears red.
        It was not the kind of start Ragland was hoping for.
        But then there were the other 39 minutes. And Ragland was magnificent in every one of them.

Read more:
        http://www.kansas.com/2011/12/04/2127779/bob-lutz-ragland-answers-call.html#ixzz1fhbeePFR
        There goes LUTZ THE PUTZ again.

I must have missed Massamba dunking over Stutz. Of course, I was on the other end of the floor, but sure looked like it was Carl Hall the closest Shocker and he was a good 4 or 5 feet away. The second possession, i believe, he made a move on Stutz and layed in a nice reverse layup using the rim to protect the ball.

But the PUTZ has never been very good with facts. Maybe someone UNBIASED against that F'N idiot would double check the DVR and see what ACTUALLY HAPPENED.

Puck the Futz.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
          There goes LUTZ THE PUTZ again.

I must have missed Massamba dunking over Stutz. Of course, I was on the other end of the floor, but sure looked like it was Carl Hall the closest Shocker and he was a good 4 or 5 feet away. The second possession, i believe, he made a move on Stutz and layed in a nice reverse layup using the rim to protect the ball.

But the PUTZ has never been very good with facts. Maybe someone UNBIASED against that F'N idiot would double check the DVR and see what ACTUALLY HAPPENED.

Puck the Futz.
          I watched it again. First play the center set a screen and both Stutz and Rags stayed on the ball handler. Sweed rolled for the easy two as Garrett was unable to get back in time to defend. Second and third play I don't remeber the sequence, but 1) the Sweed put up a nice Durley-esque move on GS. 2) same as the first. May have been first and third play rather than first and second, but either way the coaches chewed out Rags for two missed assignments. Either way, not exactly worthy of your tirade against Lutz.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            I'm not going too read much into Rags not passsing it to Garrett at least in the UNLV game. I think Joe only had 3 assists so he was hardly passing it to anyone in scoring position. On the other hand Rags caused Toure, Garrett, DK and others to pick up quite few assists by knocking down 89% of his treys in the game. The flow of the game kinda dictated that Rags was on the receiving end more than the giving end on Sunday.

I will say I did not agree with the play picked as the Wichita Eagle Delivery of the game which was the alley oop from Toure to DK. It really was not a great delivery but DK did make a great reception and put down to save the play.

I thought the following were all better deliveries:
            1. Following a run-out after a strong defensive rebound by DK he hit a streaking Toure with about a half-court bounce pass that Toure made a nice strong finish on.
            2. Toure drove into the middle of the lane and made a nice left-handed dish to the Beast for a layup.
            3. Midway or so through the second half Joe brought the ball down the left side of the court, passed to the corner to DK (??) who immediately hit Garrett coming of a baseline screen for any easy two.

I'm sure there were a number of others I'm misremembering.

Manly Move of the Game would of course belong to the Beast (although I also like the Predator as a nickname for Carl Hall because he is big-time rebound hunter). Carl's short jump shot rimmed out back to his side of the basket. He simply mandhandled Mike Moser in ripping down the offensive rebound and putting it back for two.

The guys is simply a big-time ball magnet.

Toure's slam-down of D-Wills missed driving layup weren't none to bad either.
            I agree with your deliveries of the game, though the DK dunk was nice.

As to your manly move of the game...any time Hall touched the ball! Seriously!!! Huge man crush here. Every time he touched the ball he created contact AND finished...except thrice...once he rushed it as the shot clock was expiring, and twice he was triple teamed and kicked it out to an open guard. Also, boxed out the Sweede and Moser. Only three boards, but you have to credit about 10 other rebounds to Hall totally clearing out the lane for Kyles, Murry, or whomever. He basically boxed out the entire team which allowed our guards to swoop in for the carum.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
              I watched it again. First play the center set a screen and both Stutz and Rags stayed on the ball handler. Sweed rolled for the easy two as Garrett was unable to get back in time to defend. Second and third play I don't remeber the sequence, but 1) the Sweed put up a nice Durley-esque move on GS. 2) same as the first. May have been first and third play rather than first and second, but either way the coaches chewed out Rags for two missed assignments. Either way, not exactly worthy of your tirade against Lutz.
              Had nothing to do with Rags. Had to do with PUTZ saying "The first time, he dunked over Wichita State's Garrett Stutz."

No one was near Massamba when he dunked. Yes, he had a nice move on Garrett. But if I didn't see the game, and read the article, I'm thinking "Geez, Stutz got dunked on"

If you would like, I can go back and bring up MANY incorrect facts and half-truths that the PUTZ uses to make his points when the facts don't favor his point of view. It's not hard.

Comment

• He dunked on Stutz, not over him, and yes Garrett was within two foot of him but wisely let him go. I don't paticularly care for Lutz, but don't understand why this sniip-it set you off. No matter...what a great effort by our Shockers for 40 minutes!
                Livin the dream

Comment

• Did I miss a second dunk? I remember watching that and it seemed to me (again, other side of arena) like Stutz was in cement blocks as the got blown by and I thought Hall was going to take him out. Garrett couldn't have been much past the free throw line when the "dunk over Stutz" happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                    I agree with your deliveries of the game, though the DK dunk was nice.
                    I did not mean to imply DK's alley-oop put down was not nice. It was outstanding, but not due to the delivery of the ball which was only average at best. It was however the oustanding reception/save of the game. Just glad DK did not get hurt on that play because he was pretty off-balance and falling from a very high place.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                      Did I miss a second dunk? I remember watching that and it seemed to me (again, other side of arena) like Stutz was in cement blocks as the got blown by and I thought Hall was going to take him out. Garrett couldn't have been much past the free throw line when the "dunk over Stutz" happened.
                      I would just watch it on replay. Excellent game by our Shocks!
                      Livin the dream

Comment

• downtown shocker browns love affair with Garrett may rival shockref's love with graham hatch last year

Comment

• Ramblings
                          Great game Joe. Totally in control, didn't force, led the team.
                          Looked like the NIT resurrected.
                          Could have used some Twisted Sister yesterday.
                          Carl figured it out sooner than later.
                          6 turnovers, seriously.
                          How does Tekele get his hands on so many balls? Great anticipation, and never quit attitude.
                          Note to smalls, keep feeding the bigs. Note to bigs, throw it back out every now and then. And do it quickly.
                          What's with section 122. Why are there a disproportionate number of empty seats.
                          How about finishing December the way we finished March. The rest of the season willl take care of itself.
                          David showed serious athleticism to just catch that pass, let alone dunk it.
                          Twisted Sister would have been good.
                          59%.
                          I don't think CU will enter 2012 undefeated in the MVC.
                          Keep using the mid-range game Toure. Remember, a drop in from 4 feet is better than a charge.
                          Changed my mind. Twisted Sister was last year. Let's go with Bachman Turner Overdrive's "Takin' Care of Business".
                          Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Perhaps this is a Captain Obvious statement, but UNLV HC Dave Rice will always have the memory of CKA as the locale for his 1st head coaching loss.

Comment

• Isn't it interesting that Shocker fans are so proud of making CKA a living hell for opponents, and at the same time criticize teams for not wanting to play here?

Comment

• The seats below me in 122 I believe are the big block that the athletic department and university have to dish out. While yes it stinks to have empty seats, we often take advantage of it to get more elbow room.
                                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                                X