No announcement yet.

Wichita State vs East Carolina Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If we make 70% of our FTs this is a double digit win. Not having Dex to play D on Gardner really hurt us.

Overall though, I think this is a good game. Team gets to learn the lesson that you can’t take a single night off in league play, especially when you have a number next to your name, and they didn’t have to lose to learn that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
      We didn’t play great, but give ECU credit. They played a good game and they are the reason we didn’t play well.
      Hook,
      They played harder and with more effort. WSU jumped out to the 9-0 lead and thought it was cruise control time. ECU didn't... all the props to them!
      This team is still very young and has to understand with the ranking, comes a bullseye. That means every game... is the opponents Super Bowl.
      If you take a game off in terms of focus and effort, you will get popped. It almost happened today and fortunately ES recognized it and made sure it didn't happen.
      It will be very interesting to see the effort and focus against Ole Miss on Saturday. I suspect it will be much improved!

The is all.
      Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• ES should have been POG. NONE of our big men including Wade could guard Gardner. I would have played JB
        on him, deny him the ball, and if he tried to take it inside THEN help with our center or PF. We should have
        dominated them inside but didn't happen. MU DID play well on offense the first half but his defense, block aside,
        isn't very good. Need to learn from this game as we didn't look like a#24 playing at home. Memphis will murder us if
        we play like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
          Lots of reasons that game was great for us.
          Lax,
          I'm with you here.
          My main question -- ECU has nothing in the post ( a 7' string bean Freshman?)... why is JE coming out 25' from the basket every offensive possession to set ball screens instead of working the paint?
          Made absolutely no sense.
          If it was the game plan, then it should have been adjusted, at least by halftime. Poor recognition and adjustment by HCGM today.

That is all.
          Above all, make the right call.

Comment

• HCGM seemed annoyed by Dexter Dennis. He said he wasn't sure what he was doing today, that him mom told him he was flying back to Wichita; he seemed kind of non-plussed by him.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockRef View Post

Hook,
              They played harder and with more effort. WSU jumped out to the 9-0 lead and thought it was cruise control time. ECU didn't... all the props to them!
              This team is still very young and has to understand with the ranking, comes a bullseye. That means every game... is the opponents Super Bowl.
              If you take a game off in terms of focus and effort, you will get popped. It almost happened today and fortunately ES recognized it and made sure it didn't happen.
              It will be very interesting to see the effort and focus against Ole Miss on Saturday. I suspect it will be much improved!

The is all.
              This - thanks Ref for voicing my thoughts so succinctly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Maizerunner08 View Post
                It just pisses me off when this crap teams decides to play hard like 2 times a season. Where was this effort in ECU non-con? Now let’s watch ECU try to wreck conference mates and ruin the conference at-large bids. Hate teams like ECU.
                ECU recently got some injured players back and had won four in a row. They looked like a much better team than they were last year. Joe Dooley has them headed in the right direction in his second year.

Comment

• Originally posted by ABC View Post
                  HCGM seemed annoyed by Dexter Dennis. He said he wasn't sure what he was doing today, that him mom told him he was flying back to Wichita; he seemed kind of non-plussed by him.
                  I heard Marshall's comments as well; so disappointed to learn that DD did not talk to his coach during his mis-season vacation.

I am pleased that DD's mom had the good sense to call Marshall at least twice during DD's absence!

Comment

• Ugly but a win is a win. Credit to ECU they played well especially Gardner. Our rebounding saved us down the stretch when we couldn’t get much going on offense.

Comment

• This is why I hate when we have that little number next to our name...Teams like ECU turn it into their Superbowl, their chance to beat a “ranked team”! Granted you have to be ready and able to weather all the ECUs and Evansvilles of the world but I know its hard for college aged kids to “get up” to beat teams that they know they are far superior to. I look for the boys to right the ship against the SEC invaders in a big way.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
                        If we make 70% of our FTs this is a double digit win. Not having Dex to play D on Gardner really hurt us.

Overall though, I think this is a good game. Team gets to learn the lesson that you can’t take a single night off in league play, especially when you have a number next to your name, and they didn’t have to lose to learn that.
                        We would have had 4 more points at 70%, so not quite a double digit win.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                          That play where the post player goes 20' away from the basket to set a screen, and the guy with the ball uses the screen to throw a pass to another guy on the perimeter 7' behind the 3-point line, doesn't seem to be working very well.
                          WSU's offense is very easy to guard based upon your observation. ECU was the better coached team today.

Quite (very) often the offense is run way out on the perimeter with seemingly no player, either the passer or the receiver, looking at the hoop. Does GGG believe in offensive pressure based upon good motion offense? For all the knocking UNI gets on this board, when they played WVU they were hard to guard with their effective motion; a lot harder to guard than we were against WVU for sure. Those offensive shortcomings (not talent either) rear up seemingly almost every game.
                          Last edited by ShockingButTrue; January 1, 2020, 05:01 PM.

Comment

• Men's Basketball Postgame: Gregg Marshall vs. ECU

Comment

• I didn't watch the final broadcast. Who got POG?

Comment

• Stevenson.

Comment

Working...
                                X