Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 Crossover Classic (formerly Battle 4 Atlantis)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• And the MBB team has been quarantined, along with some of the 'support team'. Who came up with this dumb anyway?

That gov in SD has got to be one of the most brain-dead people I've seen in my life. It's sad our kids can't play for a championship, but it's even sadder that they would have this tournament in the land of no masks, no social distancing, and Ostrich-style leadership. It should have been held in a bubble like the NBA.

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Comment

• Take this to the off topic please.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

South Korea. They said "wear a mask". Everybody did. They said "cooperate with contact tracing". Everybody did. They did that the moment they knew there was a virus. They never shut anything down. They never had a spike in cases. They acted early and caught it early.

S. Korea has about 1/6 the population of the USA. S. Korea has had 31,353 cases of CV and 510 CV deaths. We're having 150,000+ cases daily for the last two weeks and approaching 2,000 deaths every day. Americans are unlikely to accept the restrictions that S. Korea put on their citizens. Unwillingness to accept restrictions to limit the spread of a virus that's fatal to some leads to things like losing a basketball season.

Other countries that did it better include Australia, Thailand, VietNam, New Zealand, and about every country that borders China, with the exception of Russia. Australia had a mask mandate in effect during their recent flu season. Since they're in the Southern hemisphere, their flu season is in our summer. Australia didn't have a flu season. Their mask mandate virtually eliminated flu from Australia.
        Here's one that's even worse: Costa Rica.....almost a third-world country:
        132K cases, about 1700 deaths. In a country with 5 million people. Death rate is less than half of ours, when normalized....

Comment

• Hopefully this doesn't cause some issues in the locker room. I figured this was going to happen eventually. Some of our players post some pictures of them out in old town a week or so ago.

Comment

• Yet another sign of athletic department incompetence.
            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• Originally posted by DUShock View Post
              Yet another sign of athletic department incompetence.
              This. Eight teams arrive in SD. 7 of the 8 get to stay and play hoops. How did those 7 apparently have no positive tests? Just a bit embarrassing.

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post
                This is what we get for living in a place that has thrown caution to the wind at every turn.
                Compliance with the mask mandate in Wichita is very high compared to the rest of country. Anecdotally it seems to be 95% when I go out. I have heard like in Memphis it is only 40% (from Garry Parrish). Meanwhile the death rate (which is the only metric that matters) in Wichita is well below the national average.

So I don't think you can blame WSU problems on Wichitan's throwing caution to the wind. They have been pretty compliant. Now I don't know what the basketball programs actions - it only takes one individual to not take it serious and infect the team.

I have a team working around the world it has been absolutely embarrassing to see how much we have failed to contain this virus compared to many others. A little sacrifice and discipline could have kept this under wraps.
                This is not contained around the world. There is several things that happening - countries are not reporting because they either don't have the infrastructure to test and record, or they are not reporting for political reason (China - No cases since April? Yeah that really happened).

Or in Europe they went total lock down, shutdown everything. Even then, as soon as they open up the virus comes back with a vengeance. And still with those draconian measures there are several European countries that have higher death rates - Spain, Italy, UK. France is not far behind.

South Korea is the one country did it really well. They already have a culture that is willing to wear a mask straight from the start. Second, they leveraged technology for contract tracing through cell phones. Very draconian, invasion of privacy - but very effective. Then they would lock parts of their community down that had infections. They also implemented robust testing. Anybody could be tested, and encouraged through drive through testing.

If there has been any failure - it was the CDC initial response and their failure in having testing available. And we still don't have the testing capability needed.

This could have been one of our country’s triumphs, but alas staying distant & wearing masks were all too much to ask.
                Where has the country failures really been - NY, NJ, Mass, Conn, La, RI, Miss, Illinois. Michigan - all with really high death rates. Does anybody see a pattern here. Democratic run states. And in some cases like NY, their actions have been criminal - like when Cuomo ordered the elderly be taken out of the hospital and be put back in the retirement homes.

Comment

• This is going to be happening to many teams all season long.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

Here's one that's even worse: Costa Rica.....almost a third-world country:
                    132K cases, about 1700 deaths. In a country with 5 million people. Death rate is less than half of ours, when normalized....
                    Costa Rica also has a younger population, and they do not really test. If you don't test, then you don't record every death to Covid. And like you said in another thread

Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post
                    It might be like Costa Rica or Mexico, where they send you home with an oxygen bottle to recover.
                    Last edited by SB Shock; November 24, 2020, 08:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BAShocker View Post

This. Eight teams arrive in SD. 7 of the 8 get to stay and play hoops. How did those 7 apparently have no positive tests? Just a bit embarrassing.
                      Because some of the original teams got infected before they could travel - Creighton

Comment

• Originally posted by shocker43 View Post
                        Hopefully this doesn't cause some issues in the locker room. I figured this was going to happen eventually. Some of our players post some pictures of them out in old town a week or so ago.
                        If that is really true, then there were some players who were more concerned with having a good time than playing basketball.

Comment

• Originally posted by choida View Post

I imagine Gregg Marshall coaching the sidelines... Guess what buddy... I'll keep imagining. Wearing masks works...I imagine they didn't wear masks.
                          I'd sure like to see the data on that.... cases have went up everywhere w/ the mask mandate, time to realize maybe they really don't help!

Comment

• Originally posted by BAShocker View Post

Comment

• Comment

• So when is WSU's first game going to be? At least 2 more weeks right?

Comment

Working...
                                X