WSU Baseball Recruiting - Class of 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    From what I can tell Garrett looks to be the 1st commitment for the Class of 2015. Is that correct?

Garrett looks to be a 5-11, 175lb RHP/SS.
    Not sure.

He's a definite talent, great athlete all around.....good speed and agility. Has ran all over teams in Football in previous years - not playing this year to focus only on baseball - so he's got great quickness and will probably be one of the fastest players on the team.
    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Originally posted by Ta town View Post
      PG list his fastball at 90 so according to William he throws 78 and can only drive a golf ball 220 yards.

http://www.perfectgame.org/Players/P...aspx?ID=376624
      Yes.

Comment

No doubt, I've got a lot to learn regarding prep baseball. If I understand this right, Garrett and Gavin Hutson, along with Braden Kirkpatrick are all from Circle High in Towanda. These 3 players also played for the Midwest Warducks in the 17u WWBA National Championship, a team made up of, what appears, all Oklahoma players except these 3. The 3 are listed as from Circle HS, but also from Claremore, OK (as are a lot of the Oklahoma players who obviously are not from there because of their HS name). Nevertheless, Garrett did well pitching in the tournament going 8 innings in 2 games, winning 1, allowing only 1 hit, 0 ER, walking 4 while striking out 17.

Can someone fill me in on quality of this 8 day tournament? It appears to be top notch. If you wish to fill me in/clarify on the above info, feel free to do so.

Comment

It does look like he is the first 2015 commit. There must be something that resonates with alot of these kids with HCTB. I am really looking forward to fall baseball for the first time in several years.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
            Not sure.

He's a definite talent, great athlete all around.....good speed and agility. Has ran all over teams in Football in previous years - not playing this year to focus only on baseball - so he's got great quickness and will probably be one of the fastest players on the team.
            I have no actual clue but looks like he is a pitcher at D1 level and not a position player.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
              Who or what is PG?
              PG = Perfect Game USA a leading high school baseball scouting service.

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post
                It does look like he is the first 2015 commit. There must be something that resonates with alot of these kids with HCTB. I am really looking forward to fall baseball for the first time in several years.
                Why do I have the feeling that Coach Butler may end up having to fight off the pros for Garrett's services after the 2015 MLB draft, although that's a long way's off at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                  Who or what is PG?
                  Perfect Game, Ricky. It's a site that's been mentioned a number of times in the baseball forum, especially about recruiting.

Comment

Eagle article on Hutson's commitment.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                      Eagle article on Hutson's commitment.
                      Sounds like a project with him only being able to throw 94.

Comment

Garrett throws 93-94

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                          Garrett throws 93-94
                          Gasonlina baby!

He is only going to be a junior and will surely grow and progress. He is really going to have to like the idea of college because he is going to have another option. Either way glad he has committed to Coach Butler and WSU.

Comment

“He’s one of the top arms in the region,” Arrowood said. “He's dominant against some of the best teams in the country.”

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2013/08/25/296...#storylink=cpy

I'd say it's safe to say this coaching staff has hit the ground running. I advocated for Kevin Hooper to be our next coach. It's silly to think that he could have possibly been this far along in recruiting. Long term we'll never know, but as each day passes, this hire looks better and better......and it looked pretty darned good a couple of months ago.

Comment

Paul Suellentrop with a blog report on HCTB's recruiting efforts to date. Paul's reports says we have 10 commitments for the Class of 2014 while I have a list of 12 commitments. Not sure where the discrepancy is.

Update: I think the difference is that Adam Thies (SS) from Olathe East and Josh DeBacker (OF) from Lee's Summit North will walk on and receive academic scholarships and are not included in Paul's count in his blog. Paul noted this at the bottom of this article.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; August 26, 2013, 04:45 PM.

Comment

It will be interesting to see how the two philosophies will compare and what will be reaped in the future. We all know what the old one was and it didn't seem to be keeping us where we wanted to be. The recruiting philosophy of HCTB seems to be more proactive and let the chips fall where they may concerning the draft. Whether we see wholesale over recruiting remains to be seen. It does seem however that as of similar dates in the past we have had fewer commits at this time but wound up with about the same numbers. It will be interesting to note if we wind up with more total signings this year vs the last 4 years.

Comment

Working...
                                X