WSU Baseball Recruiting - Class of 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU Baseball Recruiting - Class of 2014

(Karl) Carswell (director of the KC Barnstormers) has followed WSU for years, watching Kansas City-area players such as Jim Audley and Pat Magness. While he loved what coach Gene Stephenson did, he recognizes some positive changes in recruiting under new coach Todd Butler. He sees WSU coaches expanding their recruiting area and being more aggressive with offering scholarships earlier in a player’s career.

“It's going to be phenomenal at how much energy is being injected into the program,” Carlswell said. “They're starting to get a quality a player they haven't had in recent year. When they like a kid, they’re making an offer.”

http://www.prepbaseballreport.com/pr...urn-1394507268Thought it might be good to have one thread to accumulate our 2014 recruiting class instead of have them spread about in individual threads.

So far we have 14 non-binding oral commitments from the class of 2014 which includes 2 walk-ons who will receive academic scholarships plus from the Class of 2013 we have 3 preferred walk-ons coming in this fall:

*Gunnar Troutwine, Catcher (6-2, 210) Shawnee Mission East. Sounds like Brian Walker was a big factor in signing this young man.

*Brian Fehr, Outfield/LH Pitcher (6-2, 185), Manhattan (KS)

*Matt Whelan, RH Pitcher (6-6, 205) Valor Christian (Highlands Ranch, CO)

*Trey Vickers, Shortstop (6-1, 180), Rockhurst (Kansas City, MO)

*Tyler Jones, RH Pitcher (6-2, 170, Andale-Garden Plain (KS)

*Jordon Boyer, Shortstop (6-2, 180), Dear Creek (Edmund, OK)

*Taylor Sanagorski, Catcher (6-0, 200), Bishop Carroll (Wichita)

*Jeb Bargfeldt, LH Pitcher (6-0, 170) Owasso, OK (one of 34 pitchers on he Louisville Slugger H.S. All-American Team as a Jr.)

*Taylor Goshen, RH Pitcher (6-1, 235), Carroll (Ft. Wayne, IN)

*Brad Kinsey, LHP (6-0, 148), Norman North (OK)

*Chandler Sanburn, RH Pitcher (6-1, 175), Avon High School (Indianipolis, IN)

*Chase Rader, 1B (6-0, 200), Coffeyville C.C via Shawnee Mission NW (KS) - described as very athletic with 42 steals last year at Coffeyville and played SS in high school - not really that big of a kid I doubt he will paly 1B at WSU.

*Sam Hilliard, LH Pitcher (6-5, 205), Crowder College (MO) via Mansfield, TX - played his freshman year at Navarro College (TX)

*Alex Van Pelt, 1B/LHP (6-4, ???), St. Thomas Aquinas HS, Overland Park, KS (Not a lot of info on Alex -- not sure if he is a scholarship player or a walk-on.

*Isaac Anderson, RHP (6-1, 185), College of Southern Idaho - Listed as an IF/OF on Southern Idaho's roster.

Walk-ons who will receive academic scholarships:

*Adam Thies, Shortstop/3B/UT (6-0, 165), Olathe East (KS)

*Josh DeBacker, Outfielder (6-3, 185), Lee's Summit (MO) North

*Signed and Announced

Class of 2013 Preferred Walk-Ons Coming In This Fall:

Wes Phillips, Infielder (5-10, 160), Maize South. Not a real big kid but pretty wiry and athletic. Here is a recruiting video of what looks to be a solid walk-on get for HCTB. Here's some football highlights on Wes while at Maize South where you can see Wes run a little.

T.J. Looney, RH Pitcher (6-5, 215) Seward County CC out of Canyon, Texas.

Austin Bright, RH Pitcher, Moore (OK). Not sure how big Bright is but he said he lost 95 lbs. Sounds like a high-quality kid. Whether or not he has the goods to contribute on the mound remains to be seen.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 19, 2013, 10:57 AM.

Comment

T.J. Looney added as a preferred walk-on for the 2013-14 season.

Comment

Looks like HCTB wasn't kidding when he said he wanted to be the shortest guy on the team. Wes Phillips may be just a tad taller than HCTB.

Comment

Austin Bright added to the incoming group of preferred walk-ons for this coming year.

Comment

Is it just me, or are we getting a lot bigger?

Comment

Recruiting

And, it is just me, but when was the last time WSU picked up some prospects from NBC teams? I moved here over 8 yrs ago & I don't remember any, but maybe someone else has noticed it & I missed it. WSU got TJ Looney & Zair Koelman this summer!

Comment

Originally posted by xazshox View Post
                And, it is just me, but when was the last time WSU picked up some prospects from NBC teams? I moved here over 8 yrs ago & I don't remember any, but maybe someone else has noticed it & I missed it. WSU got TJ Looney & Zair Koelman this summer!
                Yes, over the years, I have had the same thought. However, I did not follow recruiting close enough to develop an opinion.

NBC brings a lot of fine ball players through here every year. Nuggets are where you find them.
                "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by xazshox View Post
                  Actually Gene signed Zair Koeiman last November. He was not a summer pick-up.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                    Is it just me, or are we getting a lot bigger?
                    Perhaps a little. Shortest player so far in the Class of 2014 is 6-1 (and these are high school kids thay may or may not be done growing). We have 10 or 11 kids on this year's roster under 6 foot.

Of course, just getting bigger doesn't necessarily mean a whole lot. The ultimate question is are we recruiting bigger and better athletes and baseball players than we have been. Only time will tell.

Comment

Jeb Bargfeldt announced on twitter today that he has committed. No idea who he is yet.

Comment

Here is Jeb's PerfectGame profile. He's from Owasso HS in Oklahoma. Appears to have added 5mph to his fastball since last summer, topping out at 87.

He was a 2013 Louisville Slugger High School All-American as a junior LHP. Owasso had three players on the first team. Sounds like a quality commit.
                        Last edited by RoyalShock; August 7, 2013, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Am I crazy?

It seems that the Shocker recruiting effort is loaded with vim, vigor and vitality.

Sorta like a race horse on steroids.
                          "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                            Jeb Bargfeldt announced on twitter today that he has committed. No idea who he is yet.
                            I see he was congratulated by Austin Bright our preferred walk-on from Moore, OK this year.

We have had pretty good luck with pitchers out of Owasso. Brian Flynn most recently I believe and a few fellers named Bluma. Or was that a few Bluma's named Feller.

Seems pretty firm but I guess I will wait until it is officially reported to add Jeb to the list.

Comment

Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                              Am I crazy?

It seems that the Shocker recruiting effort is loaded with vim, vigor and vitality.

Sorta like a race horse on steroids.
                              With 8 seniors and probably Casey Gillaspie moving on after this coming season we need a good recruiting effort.

While I agree a new energy and vitality appear to be in play I think we have to acknowledge, in Gene's defense, that it's very tough to recruit as a lame duck. Legend or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X