WSU Baseball Recruiting - Class of 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
    The roster on goShockers.com shows a carryover of 15 players from last year and only about half of those played much last year. The roster includes Cody Tyler who underwent TJ surgery this past May. Not sure he will be able to pitch next season.

With 24 players coming in (assuming no one else signs a pro-contract this week) and perhaps a couple more walk-ons showing up in the fall we will have around 38-42 players on the roster heading into the fall. That will have to be whittled down to 35 before the games start next season. 2 or 3 of those could come from the 15 guys currently listed on the roster.

The core of the returning players include Sam Tewes, assuming he can rehab sans surgery, Ray Ashford, Daniel Kihle, Mikel Mucha, Tanner Dearman, and Tanner Kirk. Hopefully, TJ Looney can carryover and build on his summer performance. Overall not exactly a group that will strike fear into anyone.

One thing the Shocks have in abundance this year is a lot of available playing time for he taking.

The dearth of D-1 experience will be a major issue the Shocks will have to overcome to be successful next year. If nothing else it will be interesting to see how this all unfolds.
    I think you sell some of our returning players short...I look forward to the returning roster players coming back, surprising some by proving they have what it takes to win.. The group from last year had a lot of character, toughness and baseball smarts that was not even tapped into, given the overload of upperclassmen that either graduated or were drafted. As all eyes are on the incoming guys and what they can contribute, I believe the true strength, leadership, talent and will to win is going to come from what you see on the roster that has already been posted, they are the most hungry and committed to each other and Shocker Baseball.

Comment

• Not selling them short necessarily just not putting unreasonable expectations on players who have yet to prove themselves at the D-1 level. I understand players can improve a lot from year-to-year at this age. They can also digress. I'm more of a wait and see what happens kind of guy and I enjoy watching how these unknowns develop.

I see nothing on the resume's of the returning players that, as a group, would intimidate an opponent at this point in time.

Comment

• Tomorrow's 4 PM CST signing deadline is fast approaching. No news remains good news so far.

Comment

• Still 3 first round picks that are unsigned including Brady Aiken, the #1 overall pick, by the Astros.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            Still 3 first round picks that are unsigned including Brady Aiken, the #1 overall pick, by the Astros.
            And the Giants are still playing hard ball with their picks. While all teams not named the Giants have signed at least 25 players or more, the Giants have signed only 14, including only 3 in the last 20 rounds. It's just as bad at the top end as well. The Giants have signed only 5 in the top 10 rounds, still missing their 2-4 picks, while the next least team has 7, one more with 8, all the rest come in at 9-12 (including the supplemental rounds).

Comment

• Sully tweeted this at 3:47 PM:

Signing deadline for drafted baseball players is 4 p.m. WSU coach Todd Butler says all six of his unsigned picks remain unsigned.

Comment

• Pretty cool that OF Keenan Eaton, who was a last second pickup in May after his commitment to Vandy fell apart, decided to attend rather than sign a contract with the Pirates. He sounds like a young man with something to prove.

Comment

• Let me be the first to say that I am looking forward to the start of baseball next year. Also let me call out JJ and SB and tell them to get their season tickets so we can watch the quickening of Shocker Baseball.

Comment

• Coach Todd Butler’s first recruiting class at Wichita State survived the draft largely intact.

That is quite a relief for a coach who must replace five of his top six hitters, two weekend starters and three senior relievers from 2014. He saw seven recruits drafted in June. Six will attend Wichita State, Butler said on Friday evening after the 4 p.m. deadline to sign with a major-league organization passed.

Comment

• Butler can start planning his infield with Chase Rader at third base and project a pitching rotation that includes Sam Hilliard and Isaac Anderson. Chase Williams? Throws hard, but where he fits depends on solving control problems.

Rader, from Coffeyville Community College, went to Detroit in the 16th round and declared his intention to come to WSU earlier this month. He hit .434 with 14 home runs, a school record, and 47 steals. His addition appears crucial for a team that struggled offensively last season and lost first baseman Casey Gillaspie to Tampa Bay in the first round.

Butler watched Rader play for the Derby Twins several times this summer. While his defense needs polishing, his athletic ability makes him a tantalizing prospect.
                      “He can really run for a guy who’s as big and powerful as he is,” Butler said. “He brings a lot of tools into Wichita State."

Comment

• Junior college pitchers Anderson (College of Southern Idaho) and Hilliard (Crowder (Mo.) College) are expected to strengthen a rotation that lost A.J. Ladwig and Cale Elam to the pros. Sophomore Sam Tewes returns, but his health is a question after tingling in his arm ended his summer in the Cape Cod League after three appearances.

Comment

• Undrafted pitchers such as Jon Ferrendelli of Chandler-Gilbert (Ariz.) Community College and John Hayes of Murray (Okla.) State College also will get a shot to start.

RHP John Hayes is a new name to me. Last year as a Redshirt Sophomore at Murray State Jr. College he appeared in 13 games (starting 7 games) pitching a total of 49 innings. He struck out 52 which is a very good 9.55 per nine innings. However, he also walked 26 batters which is too high. He allowed 42 hits (2 home runs). His ERA was 3.67.

Sounds like another Juco guy with a good arm but hit or miss command. I think he is 6-5, 205.

Looks like John played in the Northwoods League in 2013.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 19, 2014, 11:46 AM.

Comment

• Adding RHP John Hayes from Murray State Jr. College (OK).

26 signees which includes 3 walk-ons, at least a couple who will receive academic scholarships. Possible that one or more of the other signees are walkons as well I suppose.

Only lost Storm Rynard to the pros as the deadline for signing is now behind us.

Gunnar Troutwine, Catcher (6-2, 210) Shawnee Mission East. Sounds like Brian Walker was a big factor in signing this young man.

Brian Fehr, Outfield/LH Pitcher (6-2, 185), Manhattan (KS)

Matt Whelan, RH Pitcher (6-6, 205) Valor Christian (Highlands Ranch, CO)

Trey Vickers, Shortstop (6-1, 180), Rockhurst (Kansas City, MO)

Tyler Jones, RH Pitcher (6-2, 170, Andale-Garden Plain (KS)

Jordon Boyer, Shortstop (6-2, 180), Dear Creek (Edmund, OK)

Taylor Sanagorski, Catcher (6-0, 200), Bishop Carroll (Wichita)

Jeb Bargfeldt, LH Pitcher (6-0, 170) Owasso, OK (one of 34 pitchers on he Louisville Slugger H.S. All-American Team as a Jr.)

Taylor Goshen, RH Pitcher (6-1, 235), Carroll (Ft. Wayne, IN)

Brad Kinsey, LHP (6-0, 148), Norman North (OK)

Chandler Sanburn, RH Pitcher (6-1, 175), Avon High School (Indianipolis, IN)

Chase Rader, 1B (6-0, 200), Coffeyville C.C via Shawnee Mission NW (KS) - described as very athletic with 42 steals last year at Coffeyville and played SS in high school - not really that big of a kid I doubt he will paly 1B at WSU.

Sam Hilliard, LH Pitcher (6-5, 205), Crowder College (MO) via Mansfield, TX - played his freshman year at Navarro College (TX)

Alex Van Pelt, 1B/LHP (6-4, ???), St. Thomas Aquinas HS, Overland Park, KS (Not a lot of info on Alex -- not sure if he is a scholarship player or a walk-on.

Isaac Anderson, RHP (6-1, 185), College of Southern Idaho - Listed as an IF/OF on Southern Idaho's roster. Drafted out of high school in Round 34 by the Royals.

Jordan Farris, 2B/3B (6-3, 215 R/R), Oxnard College (CA) - Played at Arkansas his freshman year. 2014 MLB Draft Profile.

Jon Ferrendelli, RHP (6-0, 180), Chandler-Gilbert CC (AZ) - Throws 88-91 with good command.

Willie Schwanke, RHP (6-1, 195), Grayson College (TX)

Chase Williams, RHP (6-6, 210), Eastern Oklahoma State - Throws 92-95 but is a little raw and a little wild.

Storm Rynard, RHP (6-1, 180), Cowley County CC (KS) - Signed with the Texas Rangers.

Ryan Tinkham, 1B/C (6-5, 215), Oxnard College (CA)

Keenan Eaton, OF (6-1, 205), Parker Chapparal High (CO) - Originally committed to Vanderbilt

John Hayes, RHP (6-5, 205), Murray State College (OK)

Walk-on, some or all of whom will have some kind of academic scholarship aid:

Adam Thies, Shortstop/3B/UT (6-0, 165), Olathe East (KS)

Josh DeBacker, Outfielder (6-3, 185), Lee's Summit (MO) North

Travis Young, Infielder (6-2, 212) Derby, KS - Initially was going to paly defensive back at Butler County but decided to walk-on with the Shocks.

Wichita State Announces 1st Half of Baseball Signing Class (Early Signing Period)

Wichita State Announces 2nd Half of Baseball Signing Class (Early Signing Period)

Lots of juco pitchers.

Rynard and Williams are two hard-throwing additions.

A two-way player from Arizona and a former Razorback.

The fall class went heavy on pitching.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; July 19, 2014, 11:39 AM.

Comment

• The barn had to be cleaned out.
                              "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Walk ons

1972, thx for keeping such an accurate tab on the players Todd Butler & his staff have signed. A month or two ago, Butler said that the NCAA allows 8 walks ons so he planned to sign that many to take advantage of the rule. As such, I recorded the names of those players who are walking on & there are also still a few layers around who were announced as walk-ons when they originally came to WSU. Those include Bob Arens, Austin Bright, Wes Phillips, & TJ Looney. Butler has now added 4 more walk ons including 3 that you mentioned, Josh DeBecker, Adam Theis & Travis Young. I also noted that Chandler Sanburn, a RHP, is a walk-on so that is a total of 8. If this really turns out to be accurate, then Alex Van Pelt you cited must be on an athletic scholarship.

With that said, the roster I have includes 33 players & 2 of those are on academic scholarships: Dan Kihle & Brandon Kinbrel. So, my guess is that for the team to have 27 on athletic scholarships which is the NCAA limit, there must be 4 more players who are on academic scholarships. At this point, I'm not going to worry about it. Suffice it is to say that I'm very impressed with the recruiting job Coach Butler & his staff accomplished already & I'm looking forward to the Fall series to watch how all the new players perform.

Comment

Working...
                                X