WSU Baseball Recruiting - Class of 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally Posted by shock10
    IF and it's a big if we get 22 new players that leaves 13 spots for this years team. Who comes back?
    kihle,Mucha,Koiman,Dearman,Zimmerman,Baker,Tewes,P hillips,Kirk,Ashford,Brummett,Gardner,and Maybe Simpson.Thats my guess.Not a ton of talent there outside of Kihle and Tewes IMO.

In response to shock10: have you forgot Mitch McIntyre or the freshmen who decided to redshirt. Michael Burns and Austin Bright? You also left off Joe Haddox. I heard Koiman,Gardner,Zimmerman and Baker may not be back

Comment

• Personally I hope Parker Zimmerman hangs up his cleats for the good of his health. Last I heard he was still battling the effects of a concussion from taking a foul off his catcher's mask two months after the fact. That can't be good and no reason for this young man to risk his health for game that he is very unlikely to play for a living.

Comment

• Recruiting List

72, sorry for my misleading comment about the list you included here 3 days ago. I got in a hurry because I was getting ready to leave town. What I intended to say is that the list I had did not include 3 or 4 recruits that I read about in the Eagle 2 or 3 weeks earlier as I didn't have time to write them down then. To summarize at this point, I agree completely with your list except for 2 recruits - Jordan Farris, & Jon Ferrendelli. I suspect they are 2 of the 4 I didn't have time to write down. I lived in AZ for 30 yrs & I do not recall WSU ever recruiting anyone from AZ in that entire time period such as is the case with Ferrendelli. I thought the Eagle article included 2 more recruits. If that is correct, then we are off on the low side by 2. One slight difference between your list & mine is that I recorded Chandler Sanburn as a walk-on.

Someone may have mentioned earlier that Chase Rader of Coffeyville CC may go high enough in the ML draft that he'll never show up at WSU. He hit around 0.450 this spring & he is also a major base stealing threat.

This class is certainly heavy in terms of CC pitchers: Hllliard, Anderson, Ferrendell, Schwanke, Williams, & Rynard. Hilliard & Williams sound like a starting pitcher candidates. I'm not sure about the rest of them.

Comment

• Twitter has Keenan Eaton coming this fall. Colorado outfielder.
          First a Baseball fan then a Volleyball fan and then I guess I follow the basketball team.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock10 View Post
            Twitter has Keenan Eaton coming this fall. Colorado outfielder.
            Heard that too

Comment

• Dang! With so many recruits, is any receiving a 0.5 scholarship?

Is the limit still 13 scholarships?
              "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
                Dang! With so many recruits, is any receiving a 0.5 scholarship?

Is the limit still 13 scholarships?
                I don't think the limit has ever been 13 for baseball. It is 11.7 scholarship equivalents. The total number of counters is limited to 27 players. Each player must receive at least a 25% scholarship. You can have 35 players on the roster.

Personally, I think this is ridiculously low. I think they should raise this to at least 25 scholarships with a minimum scholarship 50% and up to the roster limit of 35 counters. This would certainly make college baseball more attractive to a lot of kids vs signing pro out of high school. You can bet most pitching staffs would be on full scholarships. Say you have a 12 pitchers full scholarship. You would then have 13 scholarships to divide among the remaining 23 roster members allowing you to meet the 50% scholarship minimum. Of course, you can mix and match that as needed and desired.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  I don't think the limit has ever been 13 for baseball. It is 11.7 scholarship equivalents. The total number of counters is limited to 27 players. Each player must receive at least a 25% scholarship. You can have 35 players on the roster.

Personally, I think this is ridiculously low. I think they should raise this to at least 25 scholarships with a minimum scholarship 50% and up to the roster limit of 35 counters. This would certainly make college baseball more attractive to a lot of kids vs signing pro out of high school. You can bet most pitching staffs would be on full scholarships. Say you have a 12 pitchers full scholarship. You would then have 13 scholarships to divide among the remaining 23 roster members allowing you to meet the 50% scholarship minimum. Of course, you can mix and match that as needed and desired.
                  I think you'd have a bunch of schools drop baseball due to the additional cost it would take to compete. I think that is why the scholarship limit is so low.

Comment

• RDR, here is an article on the new scholarship rules that went into effect for the 2009-10 school year.

I suppose if you wanted to you could offer 11 full scholarships and one .7 scholarship to 12 players and go with 23 walk-ons to fill your roster. That is one extreme. The 27 counters is simply and upper limit on the number of players you can offer scholarships to. If you offer scholarships to 27 players that will use up 6.75 scholarships at the minimum 25% level. Giving you just under 5 scholarship equivalents left to sweeten the pot for the best of those 27 players.

The NCAA wants to make sure you don't give to many, but not to few and not too little but not too much. However, I think they are a long way from having the formula just right.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

It used to be 13.0 before the NCAA cut it down to 11.7 some time in the 1980s. But I don't think we ever funded 13 scholarships. Back when the limit was 13.0, WSU was NOT funding the full amount.

Comment

• Originally posted by shock10 View Post
                        Twitter has Keenan Eaton coming this fall. Colorado outfielder.
                        Sounds like he was previously committed (verbally) to Vanderbilt.

Can't say for sure but looks like something may have changed on around May 6th although no reference to Vandy or his college plans:

Keenan Eaton@Keenan_Eaton_2May 6
                        So beyond mad right now. Can't even believe it.

Keenan Eaton@Keenan_Eaton_2May 6
                        Crazy how you can go from on top of the world to rock bottom in one day. #Humbling

In his blog date Saturday, May 24th Paul Suellentrop wrote (perhaps that was Keenan):

A high school outfielder is planning a visit next week.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 27, 2014, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• From Paul Suellentrop's blog:

Here are some recruiting stories to refresh your memory on some of the newcomers.
                          Lots of juco pitchers.
                          Rynard and Williams are two hard-throwing additions.
                          A two-way player from Arizona and a former Razorback.
                          The fall class went heavy on pitching.

Comment

• Interesting about Keenan. I'm not a huge fan of guys opting out of a commitment elsewhere and coming to WSU. But I might be a fan of someone spurned by their school of choice, looking to prove something.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
                              Interesting about Keenan. I'm not a huge fan of guys opting out of a commitment elsewhere and coming to WSU. But I might be a fan of someone spurned by their school of choice, looking to prove something.
                              Clint McKeever gives this post two thumbs up.

Comment

• nm

Comment

Working...
                                X