WSU Baseball Recruiting - Class of 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
    Interesting about Keenan. I'm not a huge fan of guys opting out of a commitment elsewhere and coming to WSU. But I might be a fan of someone spurned by their school of choice, looking to prove something.
    Based on the 2 tweets by Keenan, doesn't the latter appear to be the case?

Comment

• Based on what I've been able to sing I believe Keenan Eaton signed a National Letter of Intent with Vanderbilt in November 2013. I have found nothing to indicate that Keenan requested and/or was granted a release from his LOI with Vanderbilt. If he did not receive a release from his LOI we would have to sit out next year with the Shockers and lose a year of eligibility. Not necessarily a disaster for a quality player who might be drafted before he would use that up anyway. I don't believe Vanderbilt has the option of pulling the Scholarship offer once the LOI is signed. So what's going on in this situation.

I believe a LOI is rendered null and void if the student is unable to qualify for admission to the university in question. I wonder if that is what may have happened in this case. If Keenan was unable to qualify for admission to Vanderbilt, his LOI would be rendered null and void allowing him to sign with another program without repercussions. Pure speculation on my part, but seems like the most likely scenario to me, but perhaps something else is in play here.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
        RDR, here is an article on the new scholarship rules that went into effect for the 2009-10 school year.

I suppose if you wanted to you could offer 11 full scholarships and one .7 scholarship to 12 players and go with 23 walk-ons to fill your roster. That is one extreme. The 27 counters is simply and upper limit on the number of players you can offer scholarships to. If you offer scholarships to 27 players that will use up 6.75 scholarships at the minimum 25% level. Giving you just under 5 scholarship equivalents left to sweeten the pot for the best of those 27 players.

The NCAA wants to make sure you don't give to many, but not to few and not too little but not too much. However, I think they are a long way from having the formula just right.
        I wonder, if the suppression of baseball scholarships has anything to do with Title IX requirements. I suppose limited revenue from baseball is a factor as well.

The baseball limit just seems stupidly low, given the number of players on a team.
        "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by Ricardo del Rio View Post
          I wonder, if the suppression of baseball scholarships has anything to do with Title IX requirements. I suppose limited revenue from baseball is a factor as well.
          Title IX is absolutely the key, Ricky. Tough to offset those 85 football scholarships allowed if you don't cut back the men everywhere else, except ice hockey (which somehow -- heavy lobbying by the tundra schools? -- still allows the men 18).

It doesn't look like revenue is much of a factor, considering that the top sport on the women's side is rowing (!) with 20 (!!). Not many incoming bucks there, I suspect. Other non-revenue catch-up sports for the women include rugby with 12, equestrian (yes!) with 15, and field hockey with 12. There are also some sports where the women catch up by getting more scholarship possibilities than their male counterparts do, such as basketball (15 vs. 13 for the men), soccer (14 vs. 9.9 for the men), and even softball (12 vs. baseball's reduced 11.7).

Uncle Sam, in all his meddlesome and intrusive glory, is not on scholarship. But his sister is.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
            Title IX is absolutely the key, Ricky. Tough to offset those 85 football scholarships allowed if you don't cut back the men everywhere else, except ice hockey (which somehow -- heavy lobbying by the tundra schools? -- still allows the men 18).

It doesn't look like revenue is much of a factor, considering that the top sport on the women's side is rowing (!) with 20 (!!). Not many incoming bucks there, I suspect. Other non-revenue catch-up sports for the women include rugby with 12, equestrian (yes!) with 15, and field hockey with 12. There are also some sports where the women catch up by getting more scholarship possibilities than their male counterparts do, such as basketball (15 vs. 13 for the men), soccer (14 vs. 9.9 for the men), and even softball (12 vs. baseball's reduced 11.7).

Uncle Sam, in all his meddlesome and intrusive glory, is not on scholarship. But his sister is.
            You can add XC/Track and Field to the list. 12.6 for men vs 18.0 for the ladies.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
              I believe a LOI is rendered null and void if the student is unable to qualify for admission to the university in question. I wonder if that is what may have happened in this case. If Keenan was unable to qualify for admission to Vanderbilt, his LOI would be rendered null and void allowing him to sign with another program without repercussions. Pure speculation on my part, but seems like the most likely scenario to me, but perhaps something else is in play here.
              I would guess you are correcto. Vanderbilt has a reputation of being a tough place for its recruits to gain acceptance- Stallings has bemoaned it for years and years on the hoops side to no avail.

A 30+ ACT score is no easy accomplishment for a 17 or 18 year old.

Comment

• After adding Ryan Tinkham and Keenan Eaton reported by Paul Suellentrop on May 28th:

24 signees which includes 2 walk-ons who will receive academic scholarships. Possible that one or more of the other signees are walkons as well I suppose:

Gunnar Troutwine, Catcher (6-2, 210) Shawnee Mission East. Sounds like Brian Walker was a big factor in signing this young man.

Brian Fehr, Outfield/LH Pitcher (6-2, 185), Manhattan (KS)

Matt Whelan, RH Pitcher (6-6, 205) Valor Christian (Highlands Ranch, CO)

Trey Vickers, Shortstop (6-1, 180), Rockhurst (Kansas City, MO)

Tyler Jones, RH Pitcher (6-2, 170, Andale-Garden Plain (KS)

Jordon Boyer, Shortstop (6-2, 180), Dear Creek (Edmund, OK)

Taylor Sanagorski, Catcher (6-0, 200), Bishop Carroll (Wichita)

Jeb Bargfeldt, LH Pitcher (6-0, 170) Owasso, OK (one of 34 pitchers on he Louisville Slugger H.S. All-American Team as a Jr.)

Taylor Goshen, RH Pitcher (6-1, 235), Carroll (Ft. Wayne, IN)

Brad Kinsey, LHP (6-0, 148), Norman North (OK)

Chandler Sanburn, RH Pitcher (6-1, 175), Avon High School (Indianipolis, IN)

Chase Rader, 1B (6-0, 200), Coffeyville C.C via Shawnee Mission NW (KS) - described as very athletic with 42 steals last year at Coffeyville and played SS in high school - not really that big of a kid I doubt he will paly 1B at WSU.

Sam Hilliard, LH Pitcher (6-5, 205), Crowder College (MO) via Mansfield, TX - played his freshman year at Navarro College (TX)

Alex Van Pelt, 1B/LHP (6-4, ???), St. Thomas Aquinas HS, Overland Park, KS (Not a lot of info on Alex -- not sure if he is a scholarship player or a walk-on.

Isaac Anderson, RHP (6-1, 185), College of Southern Idaho - Listed as an IF/OF on Southern Idaho's roster. Drafted out of high school in Round 34 by the Royals.

Jordan Farris, 2B/3B (6-3, 215 R/R), Oxnard College (CA) - Played at Arkansas his freshman year. 2014 MLB Draft Profile.

Jon Ferrendelli, RHP (6-0, 180), Chandler-Gilbert CC (AZ) - Throws 88-91 with good command.

Willie Schwanke, RHP (6-1, 195), Grayson College (TX)

Chase Williams, RHP (6-6, 210), Eastern Oklahoma State - Throws 92-95 but is a little raw and a little wild.

Storm Rynard, RHP (6-1, 180), Cowley County CC (KS) - Signed with the Texas Rangers.

Ryan Tinkham, 1B/C (6-5, 215), Oxnard College (CA)

Keenan Eaton, OF (6-1, 205), Parker Chapparal High (CO) - Originally committed to Vanderbilt

Walk-ons who will receive academic scholarships:

Adam Thies, Shortstop/3B/UT (6-0, 165), Olathe East (KS)

Josh DeBacker, Outfielder (6-3, 185), Lee's Summit (MO) North

Wichita State Announces 1st Half of Baseball Signing Class (Early Signing Period)

Wichita State Announces 2nd Half of Baseball Signing Class (Early Signing Period)

Lots of juco pitchers.

Rynard and Williams are two hard-throwing additions.

A two-way player from Arizona and a former Razorback.

The fall class went heavy on pitching.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 21, 2014, 11:50 AM.

Comment

• I guess HCTB was spot on in an earlier interview when he said he liked to look up at his players. Got some size coming in.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                    I guess HCTB was spot on in an earlier interview when he said he liked to look up at his players. Got some size coming in.
                    Good observation @pogo:... it did seem like we were trending towards 'smaller ball'.

At least opponents won't be able to say, "Didn't know they grew 'em so small down on the farm."

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Thanks for the info. As I said in a post elsewhere, it looks like Butler will have a basically new team next year, so we'll see how things start to look for him with his guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                        Good observation @pogo... it did seem like we were trending towards 'smaller ball'.

At least opponents won't be able to say, "Didn't know they grew 'em so small down on the farm."

I find it interesting how everyone seems so caught up with size - Jose Altuve who plays for the Astros is the shortest player in the MLB at 5'5". He says he gets teased all the time which fuels his desire to prove everyone wrong. "I just want to go out to the field and play hard and show people that short guys can play baseball." ESPN.com article states "the game has been overwhelmed and damaged by the proliferation of steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs." the article goes on to say "I'm not saying shorter players never, but in this day and age, I welcome seeing the occasional height-challenged guy make a big impact."
                        WSU Mark Standiford 1985-88 "The most prolific power hitter in Shocker baseball history. Standing just 5 footy, the second baseman was noted for his powerful, lightning-quick stroke. Shocker record of 69 home runs in his career, including a season-best 28 his senior year in 1988.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                          Good observation @pogo:... it did seem like we were trending towards 'smaller ball'.

Originally posted by Iamsecond View Post
                          I find it interesting how everyone seems so caught up with size - Jose Altuve who plays for the Astros is the shortest player in the MLB at 5'5". He says he gets teased all the time which fuels his desire to prove everyone wrong. "I just want to go out to the field and play hard and show people that short guys can play baseball." ESPN.com article states "the game has been overwhelmed and damaged by the proliferation of steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs." the article goes on to say "I'm not saying shorter players never, but in this day and age, I welcome seeing the occasional height-challenged guy make a big impact."
                          WSU Mark Standiford 1985-88 "The most prolific power hitter in Shocker baseball history. Standing just 5 footy, the second baseman was noted for his powerful, lightning-quick stroke. Shocker record of 69 home runs in his career, including a season-best 28 his senior year in 1988.
                          Cue MVJ's midgets (little people)...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Nice - NOT

Comment

• Hall of Fame Manager Earl Weaver had an opinion on the size issue. http://youtu.be/QWQbN0jFo_k?t=55s
                                “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

Working...
                                X