Opening Weekend Shocks at Northwestern State Demons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post

I 100% agree Feve. But Im just hoping the pitching improves since its year 2 for Pelphrey. But it looks like he is bullet-proof.
    The pitching is putrid. But the offense hasn't exactly pulled its weight either (to put it nicely). I agree that we're saying the same stuff already in year 2 (the number of walks already given up is staggering). But like cdizzle said, you can only go so far with the Butler influence there.

With all of that said, I expected a little bit better of a showing than getting blown out by a Southland team with a complete roster turnover that'll likely lose more games than it wins at the end of the day.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post

I'm on the fence about this. I know you're certainly not on team athletic department (and for reason at times), but I could believe that it's more than coincidence that AAC Move + Butler buyout + Phase5 completion + Wedge HC = 2020.
      The money wasn't there. I know. And that's a big thanks to dumbass Sexton. But they dug a deeper hole by not paying and it cost them a couple more years with season ticket holders in the tens and average attendance numbers no more than 200. By now, they probably could have recouped a little bit more (assuming EW is gonna pull this off).
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

I 100% agree Feve. But Im just hoping the pitching improves since its year 2 for Pelphrey. But it looks like he is bullet-proof.
        Man-o-man you are uptight. Pelfrey has only one year of coaching under his belt with this program. He's only one game into year 2 of his career. If you knew anything about sports, coaches and players form a symbiotic relationship. Coaches need the 'horses' so-to-speak, and this team lacks them.

Oh and quit spelling his damn name wrong, it's driving me crazy.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

The money wasn't there. I know. And that's a big thanks to dumbass Sexton. But they dug a deeper hole by not paying and it cost them a couple more years with season ticket holders in the tens and average attendance numbers no more than 200. By now, they probably could have recouped a little bit more (assuming EW is gonna pull this off).
          My point was that the timing may have all lined up behind the scenes; for Wedge, for ex-player donations to complete Phase5 in conjunction with Wedges arrival. Baseball attendance and season tix wasn't paying for buyouts, salaries and new locker rooms no matter what happened. That's just college baseball. I don't know if I believe that it was all an orchestrated master plan. I don't know jack. But I can see where things line up pretty well. Doesn't mean it didn't suck as a fan. Hopefully it pays off here in a couple years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cdizzle View Post
            Nevermind. Enjoy China.

See y'all tomorrow, hopefully with more encouraging results.
            Lol ok

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox The Revenant View Post

Man-o-man you are uptight. Pelfrey has only one year of coaching under his belt with this program. He's only one game into year 2 of his career. If you knew anything about sports, coaches and players form a symbiotic relationship. Coaches need the 'horses' so-to-speak, and this team lacks them.

Oh and quit spelling his damn name wrong, it's driving me crazy.
              If i knew anything about sports. Haha!!!!

PELPHREY will right the ship!!

Comment

• Hate to see Jake hung with a loss because the bullpen couldn't strand the runner on first they inherited from him in the 6th and/or the offense failing to cross the plate.

As much as anything with the pitching I assume the 12 walks will bother HCEW the most.

The nice thing about baseball (I guess) is that you don't have to wait long for your next opportunity to wash the bad taste from your mouth.

Comment

Just looked it up....

Gene lost to Sterling 5-3
                  Actually, that's probably worse than losing 8-0 (or maybe even 11-0) to a D-I opponent.

Comment

If i knew anything about sports. Haha!!!!

PELPHREY will right the ship!!
                    That would be quite a feat, considering that Pelphrey is a basketball coach.

The guy who handles pitchers for Shocker baseball is Pelfrey, same as at Heights, in college, and in MLB.

Comment

I was just trying to have a discussion but you chodes cant hear anything against your love.
                      Very poor posts concerning PCMP. You obviously know very little about coaching. But go ahead and act like a child and call people names that don’t agree with your bad take.

Comment

• It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...

Comment

• Don’t know if radio mentioned — the NWSU pitcher was third in NJCAA in strikeouts (Ham was first) and was a Cape Cod League All Star last summer. Southland, yes, but the Cape is no joke. The guy today is a redshirt senior who had a 4+ ERA last year. Yes, we’re feeling the absence of Wallace and VanVooren, but hopefully we’ll show some life today at the plate.

if not it will be bad, because on paper our schedule this year is in two distinct chunks: the extremely manageable chunk and the extremely difficult chunk. We are in the former right now — but once Nebraska gets here it’ll be rough just about every night.

An aside: This is the first time I’ve used the word “chunk(s)” three times in the same paragraph. #levelup
                          “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• To some degree I think what we witnessed in the opener and what is likely to hamstring us throughout the year is the effect on recruiting of having a lame duck coach over the last 2 years and the effect of a coaching change. Trying to recruit when just about everyone knows you are a short-timer has have a negative impact regardless of who you are. Replacing that big draft class of 2 years ago and Luke Ritter and Jordan Boyers from last year just wasn't going to happen. It may have impacted Gene at the end of his tenure when he was being extended. It's not unusual that a new Coach rarely has many of his own players and those that he does secure are generally not from the top of the barrel.

Jake Hamilton though seems to be an exception. I am not sure who gets the nod for recruiting him but that certainly seems to be a gem. Unfortunately, he may only be a Shocker for one year and he may not have the supporting cast you would like to see him have.

That said I really like some of the players we have. Among the returning players Ross Cadena is about as tough and determined as any player we have ever had. I always liked Jacob Katzfey's game but he just hasn't bloomed into the player I thought he might be. Paxton Wallace is legit IMO. Hopefully, he gets healthy soon and stays healthy. Garrett Kocis can hit it a mile if he can square it up but can he square it up often enough to be big factor. Among the newcomers I really liked what I saw of Derek Shaver in the fall.

I guess the big question is do we have enough depth to get the job done. Obviously the bullpen is a big question mark at this point although one game a season doesn't make especially in baseball.

As Paul Suellentrop wrote the other day: This is not a season for lofty goals. It is a season for improvement, setting a way of doing business that will produce winning baseball over the long term. Here is hoping we see some positive signs today.

Comment

• Were any of the pitchers in yesterday's game pretty experienced (at the D1 level)?
                              Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                                Were any of the pitchers in yesterday's game pretty experienced (at the D1 level)?
                                The best shocker pitcher was a Juco transfer. All the other shocker pitchers were 3 soph and 2 juniors (including RS Junior).

2 out of the 5 in relief had significant experience in D1 (and were pretty much the least effective).

Comment

Working...
                                X