Opening Weekend Shocks at Northwestern State Demons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does seem odd that the coach would
    reduce his roster down to 28 or 29. Most will keep a roster of 35 plus redshirts. It is a numbers game after all. The other thing that’s troublesome is that some
    of the departures are into the season. Why allow a kid to play a few innings and then release them. Cut them so they have options. That’s selfish of any coach. The kid is cheated out of a season. That kind of stuff will hurt recruiting.

Comment

• *sigh*

Comment

• Originally posted by Buckshot View Post
        That kind of stuff will hurt recruiting.

Bet.

Comment

• Man, Butler really did land a bunch of snowflakes on the team. Good Lord with the jilted lover posters lately.
          Deuces Valley.
          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I’m forgetting who I called the biggest moron on the forum just yesterday-BOBB or 1976? It’s therefore a tie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buckshot View Post
              Does seem odd that the coach would
              reduce his roster down to 28 or 29. Most will keep a roster of 35 plus redshirts. It is a numbers game after all. The other thing that’s troublesome is that some
              of the departures are into the season. Why allow a kid to play a few innings and then release them. Cut them so they have options. That’s selfish of any coach. The kid is cheated out of a season. That kind of stuff will hurt recruiting.
              Get the Super Simple App! ► http://bit.ly/TheSuperSimpleAppLittle Snowflake brings together the same team that created the Twinkle Twinkle Little Star video...

Comment

• I (others on here too) have given some grief to our players who were recruited and signed by Butler and the staff and I now seek to make some amends to the players who aren't "snowflakes" and who have stuck it out, and showed the grittiness, and toughness necessary to play on this team and new era. I certainly didn't mean to place them in the same category as those who should receive the criticism. Some may not play as much as they had hoped, but I think that after the year is over they will realize the accomplishments (there will be ups and downs but I think that overall Wedge's first season will be a success ) and foundation they have layed as we move forward. I think by my count, there are 16.

Cadena, Katzfey, Barnhouse, Peters, Lindemann, Snavely, Eddy, Marley, Haase, Wallace, Van Vooren, Gibson, Stuempfig, Sigrest, Elliot, Jackson

I haven't been out to watch the baseball Shockers for at least 5 years (maybe once), and I pledge to get out and watch this team numerous times as the weather gets warm enough for my bad joints.

This list may contain an error so if anyone sees one, please free to add or take away names.

Comment

• What an interesting read!

Comment

• Listen, most people on this site played competitive sports. We all know that from a player's perspective, when you are on a short roster it absolutely ROCKS. It means more playing time, and when your coach has thinned the heard you also have confidence in everyone on the squad. The other awesome thing is next season the returning players will have more experience than they otherwise would have had, and have deeper relationships with the guys around them.

It's the COACH that hates short rosters, because if key players get sick or injured at positions that he isn't deep in, he's kinda screwed. But the long term upshot is absolutely worth the risk.

I think Butler was a better recruiter than some people want to admit. It appears there are some really solid guys on this roster. I think he just failed to bring them up to their true potential.
                    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Not to keep bumping this thread, but just imagine how great the kids on the roster must feel...

This is a coach that has been to the pinnacle of his profession. He's hard nosed, old school, and isn't willing to just give out roster spots because they are available. He's rubbed former players the wrong way. He's cut players that saw significant innings last year. He's totally changing the culture at WSU...

And he picked me. I made it. He believes in my abilities. He wants me to lead the change. A coach that won manager of the year has trimmed the fat and kept me around.

These kids are bought in, and I understand why. The kids that didn't make it feel left out, and I understand why.

Comment

• Originally posted by WichitaStateGuy View Post
                        Not to keep bumping this thread, but just imagine how great the kids on the roster must feel...

This is a coach that has been to the pinnacle of his profession. He's hard nosed, old school, and isn't willing to just give out roster spots because they are available. He's rubbed former players the wrong way. He's cut players that saw significant innings last year. He's totally changing the culture at WSU...

And he picked me. I made it. He believes in my abilities. He wants me to lead the change. A coach that won manager of the year has trimmed the fat and kept me around.

These kids are bought in, and I understand why. The kids that didn't make it feel left out, and I understand why.
                        I thought the same thing when I was watching the news (sports) last night. If I'm a 'leftover' player and have/had aspirations to play pro ball, HCEW is a dream come true (I'd be on cloud nine). Is there currently a better pedigree (s) in college baseball? I'd be running through a brick wall to please my new coach... and probably a little down if I wasn't cut out to play for him.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                        X