South Carolina fires Darrin Horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
    Whomever lands the South Carolina job will have a tough rebuilding gig in a very impressive and competitive Conference. Sounds like a job that you would have around 3-4 years to produce or bust. Darrin Horn only received around 3 years and got the boot.
    When these AD's go and fire their coaches after just 3 seasons, I don't think they realize that the coaches they will be asking to hire, take that into consideration. How could a coach not take that into consideration? I think that is why you see quite a few coaches at mid majors not leave, because they understand that they have more flexibility to produce at mid majors, than they do at BCS programs. It's not fair to those coaches that they don't even get to see an entire recruiting cycle through. IMO, a coach should have 4 years a minimum to produce, unless there are underlying circumstances, such as players getting in legal trouble, grade trouble, or cohesion issues within the AD and the staff. If it's just about w/l's, I think you have to allow a coach time to get his recruts in, and his system in place.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• According to Bob Lutz, who is in St. Louis for the NCAA Tournament:

Lutz was at KU's practice last night and saw ESPN analyst Fran Fraschilla. The conversation:

Fraschilla: How's Gregg?

Lutz: Oh, he's got it going on.

Lutz: What about South Carolina?

Fraschilla: No way. He has a better job at WSU.

You can hear the podcast at kfh if you doubt the facts. By all accounts, Marshall is no longer a candidate.
      Got this from PowerCat- cant find podcast- take it 4 what is worth
      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• I wouldn't doubt that conversation one bit.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
          When these AD's go and fire their coaches after just 3 seasons, I don't think they realize that the coaches they will be asking to hire, take that into consideration. How could a coach not take that into consideration? I think that is why you see quite a few coaches at mid majors not leave, because they understand that they have more flexibility to produce at mid majors, than they do at BCS programs. It's not fair to those coaches that they don't even get to see an entire recruiting cycle through. IMO, a coach should have 4 years a minimum to produce, unless there are underlying circumstances, such as players getting in legal trouble, grade trouble, or cohesion issues within the AD and the staff. If it's just about w/l's, I think you have to allow a coach time to get his recruts in, and his system in place.
          Very valid points to consider. I often have wondered if we have Coach Marshall in the very best Contract we can provide? Even so, there will always be better paying jobs for Coaches that excel and can build Programs into winners. When Coach Turgeon left, he not only got a big raise, but he inherited a very solid nucleus he received on a silver platter, whereas the cupboard ended up being somewhat skimpy when Marshall arrived at 21st and Hillside. Look at the multitude of obstacles that Coach Marshall has overcome including the unforseen issues he has struggled at with the Valley. I hope we keep our Coach and he is building a foundation where he can eventually get us to Dancing quite often in comparison to what we have become accustomed to. Happiness is paramount and hopefully trumps over just money. However, dreams must be pursued and only he knows what is best for himself and his Family. Of course he knows Shocker Nation wants him to stay right here with us.
          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by kcshocker11 View Post
            Got this from PowerCat- cant find podcast- take it 4 what is worth
            But you left off the ending.

Lutz: *Grumbles and mutters away from Fran* What a moron, WSU can't be better than a BCS job.

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
              Very valid points to consider. I often have wondered if we have Coach Marshall in the very best Contract we can provide? Even so, there will always be better paying jobs for Coaches that excel and can build Programs into winners. When Coach Turgeon left, he not only got a big raise, but he inherited a very solid nucleus he received on a silver platter, whereas the cupboard ended up being somewhat skimpy when Marshall arrived at 21st and Hillside. Look at the multitude of obstacles that Coach Marshall has overcome including the unforseen issues he has struggled at with the Valley. I hope we keep our Coach and he is building a foundation where he can eventually get us to Dancing quite often in comparison to what we have become accustomed to. Happiness is paramount and hopefully trumps over just money. However, dreams must be pursued and only he knows what is best for himself and his Family. Of course he knows Shocker Nation wants him to stay right here with us.
              I'd like to see Gregg get a bump to 1.5-1.7 a year, with a 6-7 year contract that has a 1 year extension, at the end of each season. I'd like to see a buyout clause put in for Marshall that he has to pay 750k-1mil and do a home and home with WSU or the hiring university pays WSU 250k. (I really like that buy out clause of the H-H). I'd also like to see ES provide minor raises for the assistant coaches. I really like Jans being here, and I think if we can give him some more coin, we can persuade him to stay here a couple more years before he takes a HC job. It's inevitable that Jans leaves soon, I'm surprised he hasn't left, to be honest. He should be successful whereever he goes. Surprised he's not in the mix for SIU.

Comment

• BTW, Darrin Horn was at South Carolina for 4 years.

His records were:
                2008-09 21-10 (10-6 SEC) (Lost to Davidson in the 1st Round of the NIT)
                2009-10 15-16 (6-10 SEC)
                2010-11 14-16 (5-11 SEC)
                2011-12 10-21 (2-14 SEC)

Most importantly he had lost the fan base.

I don't see coaches looking at this record and saying he wasn't given a fair shot.

Comment

• I'd have pulled the trigger on him too.

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                  BTW, Darrin Horn was at South Carolina for 4 years.

His records were:
                  2009-10 15-16 (6-10 SEC)
                  2010-11 14-16 (5-11 SEC)
                  2011-12 10-21 (2-14 SEC)

I don't see coaches looking at this record and saying he wasn't given a fair shot.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    BTW, Darrin Horn was at South Carolina for 4 years.

His records were:
                    2009-10 15-16 (6-10 SEC)
                    2010-11 14-16 (5-11 SEC)
                    2011-12 10-21 (2-14 SEC)

I had never looked at his record, that's atrocious. I would have pulled the trigger as well, like @rrshock: said. A continual downward trend is never a good thing for the future, no matter if he got to use his recruits or not. As Charles Barkley would say, that's just turrible.

Comment

• Took a look at USC roster. Don't know what created the situation, they have only 1 senior, 3 juniors (2 are walk-ons), 5 sophmores, and 4 freshmen. The top player is the senior, but the next main 4 are 2 sophs and 2 freshmen, along with the next 3 being 2 sophs and a freshman. Extremely young team.

Also, 5 players are from SC, 5 from NC, 1 from FL, and the 2 walk-ons from WV and VA. That I know of, they have a 6'9" center from Miami coming in who had offers from UConn, VA Tech, and Alabama. Unless, there is a cleaning of the house of underclassmen, there's not a lot of room for additions. A new coach would appear to be just holding the fort for the first year. If Horn's youngsters are not keepers, this project could take a few years.

Comment

• SC fans seem to think the young guys are pretty good and a good foundation.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                          SC fans seem to think the young guys are pretty good and a good foundation.
                          They might think that but who really knows? They can't keep a coach around long enough to find out.

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                            They might think that but who really knows? They can't keep a coach around long enough to find out.
                            I think that's why some believed that Horn would get one more year.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• According to Twitter: Brad Stevens is going to Illinois; I don't believe it.

Comment

• http://kfhradio.ramp.com/m/53551454/...b-03-23-12.htm more speculation at the 1 hr mark
                                I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

Working...
                                X